Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 region code locked to 'A'
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
the counter for DVD and BD are independent. You can not check the BD counter from within OS Device settings
page

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
excalibur [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2011 10:50 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi techguy,

the region code of your hardware blu-ray drive corresponds to the DVD regions 1,2,3,4,5 or 6. The blu-ray regions A, B or C are handled only by PowerDVD, not by your hardware (standalone blu-ray players, however, are hardware-locked as part of their firmware) !
Unfortunately and out of the blue, PowerDVD 11 has the special feature to change these settings at random (i.e. set to region A with no changes left) and thus block the viewing of your region B blu-rays.

excalibur

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2012 09:31

Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2012 22:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Excalibur,
Thanks. I just installed DVDFAB Passkey and PowerDVD11 is playing a BD for the first time since Jan. I tried 3 separate times to solve this issue thru Cyberlink and re-installed programs numerous times (including the OS twice). Thanks again - I can't believe the solution was that easy.
excalibur [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2011 10:50 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

interestingly, yesterday (October 3rd) I again had problems with the wrong region code, too. After upgrading my PC with a new motherboard and processor, I decided to reinstall windows with all drivers and programs. The system image was backed up using Windows Backup. Everything (including PDVD 11) worked fine. Unfortunately, I then tried to install a very old (2002) hard disk utility - resulting in a bluescreen. After rebooting, everything worked fine again - except for PowerDVD 11 ! The region settings once again have been set to 'A' with no changes left ! System Restore as well as restoring the system image - without previous formatting of the hard disk - didn't help (!). This means that the information isn't stored in the registry or other system files !! The only alternative would have been formatting my hard drive and - again - do a clean install or try to restore the image.

My last best hope wasn't Babylon 5 , it was the Passkey tool - and yes, the region settings could be set to 'B' with 5 changes left. Once again I did a system restore to a date before the installation of Passkey, and - I couldn't believe it - PDVD 11 still displayed the correct region settings, even in the absence of Passkey !

Unbelieveable, isn't it ?

excalibur

(The good news, however, is that most actual Blu-Rays are more or less regionfree.)
alank [Avatar]
Newbie Location: alank@aapt.net.au Joined: Sep 26, 2008 23:19 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue for me. I'm also uncomfortable with someone poking around in my computer remotely, despite assurances.

11 was working fine until I couldn't install one of the last updates because it couldn't locate a 'previous version of PDVD'!! WTF! So stupid me trusts 'tech support' and they have me install PDVD9, which is then 'seen' by the update program, which then f&^ks up my region code.

I've had this issue a few years back and I was eventually given some registry process to fix it...but what a drama...now it's happened again! Unbelievable!

I agree with Bran, give me a process for changing the registry.
MagicMau [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2011 17:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
YOU ARE MY HERO, MAN !!!!

Jesus ! It's incredible I had to find out by a simple user what is needed to do to have PDVD work as expected (0 region changes left in this case), while Tech Support never helped ("look this thread", "open a ticket", "forward your ticket" .....).
JESUS, it's a very simple step to do !!! why don't you put it in your FAQ (do you have one ? I hope so...).
Or better... why don't you fix your software ????

Thanks again, man !!!

Quote: Hi,

Disabling Brs.exe from loading at Startup (control panel - administrative tools - system configuration - startup tab)

Look for cyberlink brs and clear its checkbox. Click Apply to save your changes and exit the dialog box.

Restart your system. The next time you boot up, brs.exe won’t be running. Now you can proceed directly to deleting the BRF.dat file located in C:\ProgramData\Cyberlink\BDNAV\.

I hope this information can help.

excalibur