Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ATi Hardware Acceleration
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I find that when rendering AVC HD video the ATI acceleration is the fastest AND produces the best results. I intend to use it all the time. You should verify it yourself on your video files.

As for removing Avivo, that is simple. Run the install file for the ATI card and at one point in the process you are presented with two options : INSTALL and UNINSTALL. By selecting uninstall you are presented with a list of all the ATI modules loaded, AVIVO will be one of them. By de-selecting it the installer will remove only AVIVO leaving all the other modules in tact. Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you,

You have more recent ATI card that my (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650), so I think I have to live without HD by now. For me, PD ATI HD works great if I don’t change the original footage (add effects, transitions, power tools or whatever PD new transformation on the clip). For example, right now I’m creating some .MP4 to my cell phone and if I use ATI HD, every time an change to my original footage takes place by PD, the result is a pixilated, or paused video on those part of the result video. I I don’t use HD, the result its perfect. I can wait those extra milliseconds of faster rendering until a get a newest computer.

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The 4650 also has GPU's capable of acceleration of HD rendering. However, when using the pure power of the PC without the ATI addition, rendering is usually smoother with fewer problems, as you have found out. Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
New ATi drive.. OnTheWeb contribution..
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16143.page

What for and is necesary to download and install the "AMD Media Codec Package" ??

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 21:16

All vodi
[Post New]
A note on release 11.2 of the ATI Catalyst update:

- This version appears a bit faster than 11.1 in rendering when using hardware encoding which I am finding more and more accurate than using the SVRT option.

- When installing release 11.2 several other bits of possibly useless software is loaded by default. One can override this by selecting "custom" install and selecting the modules that are desired, including the AVIVO module which is the ATI hardware accelerator software. Win 10, i7
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
As I have not been doing a great deal of Editing recently I frankly had not noticed that the GPU was not being used on my ATI 4870 card. I had also regressed to release 2330a. My system was stable and did seem to work fine my overclocked i7 (3.7GH) and 9GB of RAM seeming to cut the mustard.
My reason for regressing was that 2504 did seem a little fragile and prone to freezing and HEDIT comment that he had had similar experiences. Andrew's latest missive that 2504 did fix the lack of GPU usage and with the availability of 11.2 drivers from ATI - I decided to reinstall 2504. Rendering M2TS files from my Panasonic camera (NOT captured by PD9 but by Panasonic own software) certainly now use the GPU at about 60% and do seem much quicker.
The only snag now is I have the instability back when I pause rendering and restart it. Oh decisions, decisions! now what should my strategy be 1. Regress to 2330a again? 2. Wait for Cyberlink to release a proper patch and MAYBE implement a proper strategy of telling us what they believe the current outstanding bugs are?
I am using the AMD system monitor and I have also run FURMARK 1.9 (this does take courage as it does knock seven bells out of the system!).Using these bench marks and monitor my system seems to cope OK. on FURMARK 1.6.5 I can clock 60FPS on average.

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
All vodi
[Post New]
Don,

Welcome back to the forum.

Since my original post about the instability of release 2504 I can now say that the problem has disappeared. The reason may surprise some experienced users and it certainly puzzled me for awhile since re-installing PD9 on it's own did not fix it. But it did work. I was reading another HD video editing forum recently and one of the users indicated that their software (not PD9) was a "pig" editing AVC files and that it would crash frequently (PD9 is not unique to this ailment). But they were able to resolve most of their issues by essentially cleaning out their Win7 PC by using CCleaner (ccleaner.com) which is a free system utility. I removed PD9, ran CCleaner, re-installed PD9 - release 2504 and voila ! 90% of my problems with the release disappeared. Not only that, the rendering speed improved. In addition, as I've reported in this thread, release 11.2 from ATI improves rendering further still. More reassuring is that if one selects "Hardware acceleration" instead of SVRT when PD9 selects that by default, the quality of the video is in my case better, with less artifacts and all this with faster rendering, depending on file types being used.

Release 2504 is as good as 2330a, but it still has some annoying bugs, stalls, falling asleep temporarily, and yes crashes. But no more than it's predecessor. Win 10, i7
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
HI Hedit,

Lovely to hear from you again. I was going to try switching off hardware acceleration in PD9 to see what impact that had (I also will probably switch off the SSEB option). I really would like to get to the bottom of this. If I run out of patience (a frequent event these days) I shall try your strategy - the dilemma I have is I can only get to 2504 by starting from scratch and doing a slow build up to it by patch application.

I normally do a complete clean (Regedit etc. and now CL's clean up application) and remove everything related to CL products from the system whenever I re install PD9 - but am curious as to why I need to do it! Software that leaves lots of "tat" around in my view is normally questionable UNLESS of course PD9 does things that other software doesn't (apart from Video Editing- ).

I still like PD9 and (I think because I operate at a less demanding level than you guys) think it is a great product. My 2330a version NEVER hung and did everything it was asked (I am ignoring some of the more esoteric feature and so called enhancements here!)

I shall keep you posted on how I get on.

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
donbroadband
[Post New]
During the course of my investigation as to the strange happenings with H/W Accelaration, one of the steps I took was to restore my BIOS to the "default" settings. As I run a RAID mirror system, this in hindsight was a particularly stupid thing to do - as my System switched out of RAID Mode and back into "standard" IDE Mode. When one attempts to restart again it won't boot up and you get warnings from Windows that the MBR is missing and requesting you to carry out a Windows repair by putting the original installation CD in the reader. Windows does recover BUT lots of files go missing and ones Raid drives are no more!
A point worthy of mention was that before my screw up I could not get ATI CCC (V11.2) to unlock the performance mode/hardware acceleration window. I tried reinstalling 10.12 and this seemed oK. When I contacted ATI support - they were incredibly vague and said that they had had instances of 11.2 failing this way and said I should stick with my 10.12(??)
Any way to cut a long (and very painful) story I ended up doing a complete rebuild of the system from the bottom up. Having rebuilt the system I then installed all the latest drivers again (including 11.2 - which now worked!). I then installed PD9 the 2504 patch and the contents patch, this was fine until I tried to enter my software key which it would not accept.
I then removed PD9 et al and did the usual cleanup. This time installed the original PD9 and contents pack. I then entered the product key (which was accepted) and then installed 2504 patch.
All now seems well with the ATI monitor showing lots of GPU activity, doing "silly" things with M2ts clips, splitting them, adding transitions, effects, enhancements etc. don't now seem to trouble PD9 at all. So 2504 is good when installed on a clean base system - ie you don't nee to bother with interim patches.

I am sorry if this rambles on a bit but 1. If it saves someone from the "features" of Intel's Mass Storage Raid system, which it appears erases the metadata from Raid discs and says the data is lost (wrongly - it is not) 2. Highlights the fragility of the software/hardware interactions involved in Video editing. then it may be worthwhile. PD9 is not terribly "fault tolerant" and does need everything just so - but we all know this so its nothing new. The final message/lesson for me from this is that if the system/PD9 starts malfunctioning. Stop and do a complete system rebuild - its painful but it may well be quicker and less stressful than trying a truly analytical appproach.

"Luddite Don"

So make sure you keep your systems properly backed up! Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.