Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ATi Hardware Acceleration
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,

For those of you who have ATi cards that are compatible with the Hardware Encoding on PD try this:

1. Open ATi Catalyst Control Centre, and goto ATi Overdrive. This window will tell you 3 pieces of info, temperature, activity and fan speed. Leave this window open.
2. Open PD. In the 'Edit' module import a few short clips onto the timeline.
3. In settings, ensure 'Allow ATi ...' and 'Allow Hardware Encoding...' are ticked.
4. Goto 'Produce' and render using Hardware Encoding. So for this test, I converted 3 AVCHD 1920x1080 clips to MPEG 2 DVD HQ.
5. After you start rendering, watch the ATi Overdrive window closely, to see if your card is doing any work.

In PD8, my ATi 5770 card will show 70% activity when completing this test - indicating it's working properly. With PD9, the activity indicator barely moves from 0% (usually just at 4%) indicating the GPU is doing no significant encoding.

Can anyone reproduce this?

Please note that I do have the very latest Catalyst and Avivo software.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 20. 2010 19:39

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

I can confirm your findings.

I imported 1920x1080 m2ts files and produced to a mpeg-2 file DVDHQ profile and my ATI activity was mostly at 0% during the entire rendering process. (see screenshot)

Kevin
[Thumb - ATI Activity.PNG]
 Filename
ATI Activity.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1024 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
652 time(s)

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Oops, pardon me,
I must have stumbled upon the beta forum... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]

Baryddth
I must have stumbled upon the beta forum...

Pithed again ?

I've just done a similar but not the same test with using 720p mixed clips to .mp4. I had the project open.

I also looked at the cpu performance in task manager. Screenshots attached.

With HA only 3 cores being used c.30% but no change shown in GPU indicated in Overdrive or GPU-Z

Without HA all 6 cores @100% but no change shown in GPU indicated in Overdrive or GPU-Z

I suppose the question is "if the indicators are right, what's doing the extra processing?"

Answers on a postcard to Barry. Winner has a trip in his boat. In the event of a tiebreak whoever brings the most beer will win.
[Thumb - no HA mp4.PNG]
 Filename
no HA mp4.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
HA off
 Filesize
365 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
571 time(s)
[Thumb - HA mp4.PNG]
 Filename
HA mp4.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
HA on
 Filesize
391 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
539 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Oops, pardon me,
I must have stumbled upon the beta forum...

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi all,

Some good news! Build 2504 appears to have corrected this issue, with my ATi card now showing activity of 60% when performing the test I described at the start of the thread!

See if you have any luck!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

The new build 2504 worked great for me as well. Activity level at around 60% during Hardware Acceleration.

Also when using SVRT placing 4 m2ts clips on the timeline and placing a transition between clip1 and clip2, the rendering appeared normal....slowing down to render the transition and then picking up speed to SVRT levels for the rest of the clips.

Regards,

Kevin
Drudixx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2010 08:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I am still seeing the problem that was described in by Andrew in the first post even after installing patch 2504. I am using the newest ATI driver (11.2) and my card is Radion HD 6800.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Thor

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2011 18:08

Rob Z [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2010 20:41 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I'm seeing virtually no GPU activity with my ATI 4870 graphics card when all three GPU options are turned off. Using version 2504 of PowerDirector 9, burning a 5 minute movie to a blu-ray folder using AVCHD footage took 7:05 to render with hardware encoding (burning options) and only 3:19 without hardware encoding.

When I enable the APP and GPU options under preferences and GPU processing under burning options, I notice substantial GPU processing activity. However, the GPU processing activity always randomly stops and returns to zero and the burning process stops. I also notice that the program crashes often and the video stutters while reviewing the movie once the second video file starts to play (when APP and GPU processing are selected in preferences). Therefore, I disable all three GPU processing options. I'm not sure if APP is compatible with the ATI 4000 series. I'm curious how PowerDirector 9 works with ATI 5000 and 6000 series cards.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2011 20:31

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Check your v-cards with these free programs.....

Howdy Barry & Capn'

Download GPUz unzip it...... run the exe file (does not need to be installed) put its window in a convenient corner, tells you more info. Its free..... Also do the same for CPUz and see what your cores and rest of computer is doing.... free too

AND... if you want to see how good your video card is.... download FURMARK..... run it and listen to your video card fan reach its PEAK rpm quickly... it will see how tough your card really is.... and show you...

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2011 20:43

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
ATI has a new activity monitor that works well at displaying CPU, GPU and memory utilization. I'm not using release 2504 because it's way too crash worthy - 2330a works somewhat better. And GPU acceleration works well too as per the new monitor.

AMD System Monitor is found at : http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-system-monitor/Pages/overview.aspx

Additional note: I have recently tested release 2504 against 2330a using multiple AVC HD (1080i-24Mbps in and out) files on the same timeline with video correction applied to all files and 2330a is noticeably faster at it than 2504 with less use of the CPU and a bit more of the ATI GPU, memory remaining the same.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2011 14:23

Win 10, i7
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Additional note: I have recently tested release 2504 against 2330a using multiple AVC HD (1080i-24Mbps in and out) files on the same timeline with video correction applied to all files and 2330a is noticeably faster at it than 2504 with less use of the CPU and a bit more of the ATI GPU, memory remaining the same.

Unfortunately, I just "upgraded?" from 2330 to 2504 PD9 Ultra two days ago. HDedit, you're saying that this upgrade isn't really an upgrade in the traditional sense? I hope you've let Cyberlink know this so they can take your experiences/findings and put out an upgrade that restores the pre-2504 level of PD9 performance.
-Allen
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I'd like another experienced user to confirm the following using a 1920x1080i (24 Mbps) video as a source :

- render the video to AVCHD 1920x1080i (24 Mbps) profile
- render the same video using the identical profile BUT this time changing the "quality" setting in the profile to 7 from the default 6 (therefore making a custom profile)

- In my case the default rendering switched from SVRT to Hardware.
- The rendering time dropped by 30 % !
- The video quality was better.
- The CPU and GPU utilization dropped substantially ! Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
I just whant to say.. welcome to the forum, nice to see you back here again. Nice spirit.!
All vodi
[Post New]
MORE interesting finds about ATI acceleration and PD9, specifically release 2504 on an i7 intel PC with ATI hardware video encoder (HVE) capability.

Using several sets of AVC (1920x1080 i) files recorded at 24 Mbps with a Sony camcorder (10 minutes duration in total), adding stabilization effects to ALL segments, trimming ALL segments, and finally adding cross transitions as well, offered an interesting insight into PD9 as to the mode of the rendering, speed of rendering, and the quality of the final production into an AVC (1920x1080i - 24 Mbps) video file (SVRT friendly) :

SVRT on ( PD9 default in this case): render time = 18 minutes, video quality = some artifacts

SVRT off (manual override of SVRT option ): render time = 22 minutes, video quality = less artifacts

HVE on, (manual override of SVRT option) : render time = 14 minutes, video quality = least amount of artifacts

These are all good numbers. However, the surprise is the fact that by forcing PD9 to use the ATI hardware accelerator (HVE) one obtains faster rendering AND better video quality. Would any of the other senior members care to run a similar test ?

NOTE to ATI users : the Hardware Acceleration boxes of PD9 in the preferences tab are ignored if Avivo is installed on the PC. You have to override it manually on the Production page.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 22. 2011 20:53

Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: NOTE to ATI users : the Hardware Acceleration boxes in PD9 are ignored if Avivo is installed on the PC. You have to override it manually on the Production page.

In my last ATI driver update AMD recomends to install Avivo and i have it installed.

Can you please explain more how to override it manually?
Do you mean to dissable the Hardware Video encoder in production?
If PD9 ignores HA box if Avivo is installed its not better to uninstall Avivo?
All vodi
[Post New]
Avivo is installed automatically in newer releases by ATI if your graphics card is able to make use of it. When PD9 detects the presence of Avivo, by default it enables hardware acceleration even if you deselect it in the preferences tab.

The "override" that I refer to is when in the production window PD9 is automatically selecting "Hardware video encoder" OR SVRT, depending on the video files being rendered. By removing the "Fast video Rendering" check box, both SVRT and acceleration are disabled, forcing PD9 to us the resources of the PC alone, and at the same time forcing rendering of ALL files, which is why it is usually the longest in render times. Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Well you are right. After i install the last ATI update, the only whay to get nices jobs in productions or creations, is to disabled HD.

EDITED: Do you know if there is a way to unistall Avivo? it is necesary to CCC or ATI work prop.?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2011 20:40

All vodi
[Post New]
I find that when rendering AVC HD video the ATI acceleration is the fastest AND produces the best results. I intend to use it all the time. You should verify it yourself on your video files.

As for removing Avivo, that is simple. Run the install file for the ATI card and at one point in the process you are presented with two options : INSTALL and UNINSTALL. By selecting uninstall you are presented with a list of all the ATI modules loaded, AVIVO will be one of them. By de-selecting it the installer will remove only AVIVO leaving all the other modules in tact. Win 10, i7