Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Continous rendering - how to turn it off?
Thanalas [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Athens, Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2011 02:13 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Obviously both new drivers and OpenCL, are ment to improve card functions. Could we take it up to "CyberLink People" and have a "patch" that could make this drawback dissapear?
Thanos
Thanalas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I had been using PD8 Deluxe without any rendering or other serious problems, though I wasn't sure whether my nVidia graphics card was being used. Tonight, I downloaded the trial of PD11 Ultra. As soon as I dragged an avi file into the timeline, continuous rendering attempts began. Rendering would reach 54 percent according to the onscreen indication, then return to zero, reach 54% again, and repeat this, continuously - preventing me from doing anything with the program.

I had just had the Gigabyte nVidia Geforce GTX 650 graphics card installed with driver version 306.23. Remembering this forum here, I fully uninstalled the nVidia drivers (Using Advanced Uninstall Pro - a good, thorough program). When I attempted to install version 301.42 drivers per the recommendation in this forum, the installer performed an automatic System Check as part of the process. The following pop-up appeared: "NVidia installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." I had no choice but to reinstall the version 306.23 drivers.

So, the PD11 Ultra trial program is completely unusable, as I don't know how to activate my onboard Intel graphics, and in any case don't want to use them in lieu of the new graphics card that causes no problems with Adobe Premiere Elements. At the moment, when the 306.23 drivers are uninstalled, the display looks like very old fashioned Safe Mode graphics.

The other problem I found when dragging an avi file into the timeline was a pop-up indicating that the file with PAL 25fps attributes was incompatible with my PD11 setting "PAL 25fps". (Can't see any difference myself!) Not only that, the sound which could be heard in preview from the PD11 library was muted in the timeline despite the tick showing that it was enabled. I can't make any sense of the first false alert or of the contra-indication I have described. Please remember that I had none of these problems in PD8 Deluxe, and have none of them in Premiere Elements 10, which is not adversely affected by the GTX 650 card or its 306.23 drivers.

I would really love to buy PD11 Ultra if it were usable. The interface is beautiful. The editing features look wonderful, it has Blu Ray, AVCHD, H.264 support and much more! I would love to use the hardware acceleration. But unless Cyberlink or people in this forum can help me overcome these fundamental problems (and I am a reasonably experienced editor) I have no choice but to uninstall the PD11 trial and reinstall PD8 Deluxe.

My computer specs are Intel Core i7 3770k pcu, 16Gb 1600 mHz RAM, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, 1 Tb 7200rpm SATA 3 Seagate data drive, Gigabyte H77 D3H MVP motherboard, nVidia Geforce GTX 650 graphcs, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

In my quest for the older driver 301.42, I found more than a few 301.42 drivers!!! Only one was good for my laptop (it was stated for specyfic models, GPUs, CPUs). That one I installed before uninstalling 306.23. After 301.42 was installed, I removed 306.23 and restarted my machine. It seems a bit tricky, but this worked for me.
Thanos
Zaite [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2010 10:03 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Thanalas, can we please have a patch from Cyberlink to fix this problem. It's almost been a month now and no solution other than downgrading the drivers (not a solution imo).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2012 04:39

herp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2012 21:38 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Did anyone of you try: 306.97 ? The one that came out today.

Is the problem not related to Cuda?

"NVIDIA CUDA
Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5 Preview or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit." System Specs: Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB w/ Twin Turbo II | 8GB GSkill RAM 1600MHz | Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H B3 | Corsair TX650W | Define R3 | 1x 1TB WD Blue | 1x 1TB WD Green | 1x 2TB WD Green | 1x 500GB WD Blue | 1x 250GB Samsung | 1x 60GB Corsair Force 3 | 1x BENQ G2220HD | 1x BENQ G2400W | 1x LG IPS277L
Zaite [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2010 10:03 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
306.97 fixes some other problems I was having but not PowerDirector.
sheltiephil
Newbie Location: Tasmania, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2012 09:31 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi George, Carl and everyone else,

I have received a heartening reply regarding the rendering problem from Dafydd in the PowerDirector 11 forum: "Patch from CyberLink, certainly being worked on and will be released asap. - Forum Moderator"
sheltiephil
Newbie Location: Tasmania, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2012 09:31 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]

Workaround

Hi Herp, as explained in the PowerDirector 11 forum, I tried out the new nVidia driver, Version 306.97 in my PD11 Ultra trial, but the rendering problem continued. I followed the workaround suggested in that forum and disabled CUDA for PD11 in the nVidia control panel. The workaround enables me to use PD11 without any rendering problems, but without CUDA hardware acceleration. You right-click the desktop for the nVidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D Settings, click the Program Settings tab, Click Add, browse for the set-up file for your version of PowerDirector under Programs, click that set-up file, and you see it appear at the top of page. Then you look down the page for CUDA, and click the arrow, then click the circle next to the UNTICKED box. This disables CUDA. Presto, PowerDirector works again without continuous rendering (though without CUDA acceleration). It sounds like we won't need the workaround for long, and will soon be able to use our late model nVidia graphics cards with PD9, 10 and 11. (The nVidia installer won't let you use the older driver Version 301.42 with those latest cards.) Anyway, patch coming - Phil
sheltiephil
[Post New]
Hi everyone, if you are wondering why I was sharing that workaround that applied with PD11, I think it applies with PD9 and 10 as well. You will need it to use PD9 or 10 if you have installed the newest nVidia graphics cards because the nVidia installer won't let you install the older driver Version 301.42 with those very recent cards such as the GTX 650. You will still have continuous rendering with the 306.23 and latest 306.97 drivers. However, disabling CUDA will be a workaround and we have been assured that the patch is coming.
Thanalas [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hope that patch will not be for PD11 only, since with the workaround, we will lose some speed and "goodies" of the card.
Thanks all,
Thanos
Woodie62 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brighton, England Joined: Jul 12, 2011 04:51 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I was directed to this post by Carl as I posted the same problem in the version 9 section, which is the one I have. We recently updated our nVidia card and it was a coincidence that I had looked at a tutorial about SVRT, rendering as you go around the same time. It looked a good idea and I switched it on. As soon as I put my new footage in the timeline it started. Big mistake. Apart from its painful slowness, what it did was unwatchable, equally, it ws rendering before I had even edited out footage I didnt want.

I unticked the boxes in the preferences section relating to SVRT and enable Cuda to no avail.

Carl suggested rolling back the graphic card update, but hubby was not happy with that, understandably, the workaround sounded the next best thing.

However, I followed the instructions but the Programme did not appear in the options to choose, so I clicked on Add and another box came up with a long list of things, mostly one to three letters. I cannot work out which would be the Power Director one.

SO my question is, please can you tell me which one it could be.

Also, has anyone any clue when the patch will be available and how we will know it is available?

Many thanks
Joanie
sheltiephil
[Post New]
New patch allows CUDA hardware acceleration in PD11 using latest nVidia card, Geforce GTX 650 with new 306.97 drivers. I hope the issue has been equally resolved in PD9 and 10 - Phil
Woodie62 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brighton, England Joined: Jul 12, 2011 04:51 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
There was nothing in the download update section for version 9 - just checking - is that where you find the patch? I have never had any updates automatically downloaded.

I have been wondering whether to upgrade to 11.....
Joanie
sheltiephil
[Post New]
Hi Joanie, it looks to me as if there won't be patches for PowerDirector 9 and 10. Here is the link that I followed for the PD11 patch. You will see that the latest update for PD9 was September 16 2011:

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

It looks like you might have to upgrade to version 11. I found it well worthwhile upgrading from PD8. PD11 is much bigger, especially if you go for the Ultimate version, with all of the templates. For hardware acceleration that improves preview quality as well, I think you need at least the Ultra version, with the True Velocity Engine. You can burn BluRay and AVCH discs in Ultra and Ultimate, but not in Deluxe version. In PD11, Trimming is simpler. Adjustable workspace enables you to see wave patterns clearly. These are among the many helpful improvements (and I'm just a user - nothing to do with Cyberlink). I particularly like the keyframes (which Adobe Premiere Elements has always included). You can drag these keyframes when you expand the wave patterns and video tracks in the timeline to adjust sound levels and create video fades. Very intuitive. Hope you will like PD11. - Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2012 19:37

herp [Avatar]
[Post New]
So youre saying the solution for us is to pay 130 euroes++

Rather than you Cyber actually fixing 9 and 10 in less than a day?!

Better off using AVS Video Editor or something else, Sony Vegas, Premiere, VirtualDub and what not.
Where the people behind the softwares, actually support them too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2012 21:46

System Specs: Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB w/ Twin Turbo II | 8GB GSkill RAM 1600MHz | Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H B3 | Corsair TX650W | Define R3 | 1x 1TB WD Blue | 1x 1TB WD Green | 1x 2TB WD Green | 1x 500GB WD Blue | 1x 250GB Samsung | 1x 60GB Corsair Force 3 | 1x BENQ G2220HD | 1x BENQ G2400W | 1x LG IPS277L
Woodie62 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks sheltiephil, You have made my mind up!! I had been thinking of it anyway but wasnt sure if it was worth it.
I appreciate your response,
Kind regards
Joanie
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
To anyone thinking of trying AVS Video Editor you might be interested to visit this website. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Phil g0wsp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2011 03:43 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fenman , Mmmmm - interesting, seems like the video driver problem has been evident with PD9/10 & 11 as questioned in a number of posts under different /similar headings.

Thanks for your comments on my previous posting - Its nice (yet dissapointing) to know we`re not on our own ! .

Just one thing I cant understand is if CL can fix the problem on PD10 & PD11 - Why not PD9

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Precisely. It appears to be a commercial, rather than technical, decision. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
herp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still cant use CUDA in PD11.
I can only use Intels crap, which is slower. System Specs: Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB w/ Twin Turbo II | 8GB GSkill RAM 1600MHz | Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H B3 | Corsair TX650W | Define R3 | 1x 1TB WD Blue | 1x 1TB WD Green | 1x 2TB WD Green | 1x 500GB WD Blue | 1x 250GB Samsung | 1x 60GB Corsair Force 3 | 1x BENQ G2220HD | 1x BENQ G2400W | 1x LG IPS277L
[Post New]
NVidia driver 320.18 doesn't work either. Going back to 301.42 to get PD9 to work means other software won't run as well. The drivers were updated to improve how the graphics cards work. It takes about a half hour to swap over video card drivers, so its impractical.
Cyberlink apparently made patches for PD 11 and PD 10, but won't do the same for PD 9 or earlier. They have suggested that it is up to NVidia to revise their drivers.

The lack of support from Cyberlink is appalling. Beware if you have just paid for PD11. When PD12 is released PD11 will no longer be supported. And Cyberlink won't tell you either. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I realise as the PDR forum moderator, PD9 users are upset that when they update their Nvidia drivers to the latest, their editing experience is awful. I made representations over the issue at the time it was known for PDR11, 10 and 9. PDR9 in Video Editing terms is an old program and is unlikely (very unlikely) to have any changes/patches released for it. The solution is to revert to earlier drivers or purchase the latest PDR - a very different animal to PDR9.

I'm locking this thread as it isn't getting anywhere and PDR9 will not in my view have any patch release. If it does, I'll post on the PDR9 forum.

Dafydd