Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the best format for YouTube and website videos?
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I also use WMV Full HD for my YouTube videos.

The other option is to go with MPEG4 and then use another program to make the files smaller. I use Handbrake for this and there you can do a two pass encode with whatever bitrate you want.

So the second option is very similar to what you are doing. So far I haven't run into quality issues with WMV. It's mostly FRAPS captures and retro games so the resolution / detail is quite low

A shame WMV doesn't work with QuickSync...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2012 01:30

RNoll3815 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Edmonds, WA Joined: Aug 17, 2015 15:03 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I make Aerospace instructional videos on high-tech industrial portable 3D metrology systems for shop floor operators. A mouth full I know. I am using PD 12 and regularly produce videos with the H.264 AVC codec, then change the suffix from wmv to m2ts so that I can embed the videos in a chm help file and have them play inside of Windows Media Center. The WMV Player can't really locate files easily inside of the chm so I changed the default player on my wmv's to WMV Center and they then play fine.. as long as users do the same on their computers. I change the suffix because the chm file doesn't support it, nothing more. I often have to change the chm file suffix inorder to transmit over Lync becuase it thinks it might contain a virus. I change it to txt and ask the recipient to change it back to chm.

I have a 8;53;15 video, at 1280x720, 2600kbps, 23fs & 48khz, 256kbps audio my file size is 1,762,370 KB. Too large for my chm to port out. VERY GOOD, but won't open in the wmv player called out in the chm file.

I changed settings from those above to a total bit rate of 3000kbps and the file size was reduced to 228,228 KB. VERY GOOD, and opens in wmv player.

I made one last file, everything the same again but at 1700kbps as one of the suggestions here. It made a file size of 77,511 KB. UNUSABLE. I also edited the Profile.ini to this. The editing didn't stay though. Reopening PD12 brings the defaults back into play.

I just went through the numbers I posted above on the bit rates to make sure I had them right becuase I am not using comas in them. It can get confusing and you can go cross-eyed looking at all the zeros.

I am including labeled screen grabs from the same location in the finished video. The 1700kbps bit rate file also had a time slip of about 5 sec from the other two so if I had included talking heads I would have to resync audio for them... but the video is so poor that I don't really think anyone would notice it.
[Thumb - Files.JPG]
 Filename
Files.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grab from filemanager of the files. Notice the creation times.
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
151 time(s)
[Thumb - Test3.jpg]
 Filename
Test3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Reduced in size in photoshop for your evaluation of contributing factor.
 Filesize
210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)
[Thumb - Test2.JPG]
 Filename
Test2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grabs of the three files.
 Filesize
620 Kbytes