Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the best format for YouTube and website videos?
AlpacaJackie53 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 16:17 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I use a Flip video camera or a Panasonic HS900 (in HD) to record short product demonstration videos for our company. The videos are about one minute long each. Sometimes I zoom in close to a product to show a particular detail, so video quality is important.

Obviously I want the videos to load quickly for my viewers. We have a YouTube channel where we post all our videos. In addition, we use a business video hosting company to host these same videos so we can embed the videos in branded windows on our website.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which format I should choose, and which settings for that format so that my video files are not too large, but are still nice quality?

Currently, I have set up a custom setting for MPEG-4. In the video tab for that profile, I have set:
Resolution 704x480
Frame Rate 29.97
Frame Type progressive
Avg bitrate 3000
High speed/ high quality

Using this custom setting, my one-minute video ends up being about 30MB in size, versus using the default setting for MPEG-4, which would result in a 110MB file.

Am I doing this correctly, or is there a better way to produce my videos for YouTube and for my website? How do you guys produce your videos? What settings do you use?

Thanks for the information!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
For web site. it used to be flash (flv) which is now becoming obsolete. HTML5 is the next new thing. One excellent tool for on line tutorials and training has just dropped flash and now uses mp4 at 720.

I thought that you wanted best quality? If so, then high definition mp4 files are the best overall compromise. Those 480 videos just are not good enough to show detail. Do at least 720. If it is a company web site, why worry about size unless you are selling into a market where your potential customers have nothing but low speed internet.

Perhaps I'm missing the point? Do you want quality or small video file size. They usually are not compatible. High speed/high quality are very subjective; you cannot have both. In my opinion, the 480 and the 3000 bit rate are small and low.

IS the company you work for a small one with limited potential buyers? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
AlpacaJackie53 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 16:17 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
We sell a line of consumer products- magic tricks, in fact. We have to demonstrate each trick in action so the customer can get the full effect. :

If I produce a video in the default settings for MPEG-4, my video will be about 110MB. Isn't that a big file? How big are typical files for one-minute, good quality YouTube videos?

And yes, I am somewhat concerned about file size for the average consumer. Our personal household actually has a satellite connection, which as you know has a limited daily download allowance. Consumers like us can't view a lot of big video files.

So do you have a suggestion for exactly what settings I should use when I go to produce my videos in PD10? I get to that screen and I'm confused and clueless as to how I should make the settings. I know I can't have high speed/ high quality, but how about a compromise level for good speed, good quality?

Thanks for your help.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
stevek has a point. Do you want quality or quantity? What is your customer base?

Yes there are a lot of people that can stream HD but like me there are a lot of people that cannot. I can only do 480p video on youtube most of the time or 360p as I don't want to waste all my time buffering. I have it set to not go higher than 480. Not everyone has fast internet service yet. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried the Windows Media Video 9 HD standard, it is 720P and makes the smallest HD video files.

I use Windows Media Video 9 HD standard and Windows Media Video 9 FULL HD (1920x1080) profiles for uploading to Youtube.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I upload gaming videos and capture them in Fraps which they produce 269Mb bitrate raw videos.

I use PD10 to do my fade or transition cuts etc,once I finish I produce the video as highest bitrate to get flawless quality as possible.

In my case I use videos 1920x1080 @ 30fps using the M2ts codec using a use edit hack profile that lets me produce 190Mb bitrate using the guide from this link from
Dafydd Bevan.
Link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17939.page

Once I produce my loosely video from PD I use a third party software to do my final encode to upload to youtube,in my case I use Vidcoder.

For a video at 1920x1080 @ 30fps I use only 8 or 9mb bitrate and the quality is splendid while other that don't use a third party software will have to produce from PD
around 50Mb bit rate to get the same quality with vidcoder on Youtube.

I'm not dissing PD,I love PD but the ratio of bitrate v/s quality is lacking this is why I use vidcoder to save space while retaining best quality with low bitrate.

I have made a visual guide in Jpeg to use vidcoder if you want to try it or anyone else.

So my suggestion if you want,is produce highest bitrate at your desire resolution(704x480) in PD and then use vidcoder to do your final encode to upload to youtube and your company website.

EDIT:
I meant to clarify about the 190mbps that I use.

Depend whats your raw videos Mbps use it near that same or lower abit,the only reason I use 190mbps cause the raw video has a 269Mbps.

So for example if your camera spits out raw videos say 50Mbps,make a custom profile around 40 or 30mbps to save space while still maintaining the quality of the raw video with out artifacts or blocky videos effects.

Then proceed with vidcoder to make the 6mbps.
[Thumb - Vidcoder step by step guide.jpg]
 Filename
Vidcoder step by step guide.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Vidcoder visual guide.
 Filesize
586 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
877 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2012 03:32

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using MPEG-4 720p for about a year now and like the results. Remember, if you are using YouTube, even if you upload in HD the user still has the option of a lower resolution. They can also let it download and then watch it, if they prefer.

For embedding in a web site they will be a little large. My 3 to 5 minute videos are usually over 300MB. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Brygard for your post. I too find PD's encoding lacking. To get the quality I need in my hanggliding videos I encode at 17MBps and usually end up with a 1 to 1.1gig video file for a 9 minute video. There is a lot of information in my videos with trees everywhere. As everyone knows the more detail the larger the photo. The quality is excellent but it takes me a full day to upload it to youtube.

I just put one of my 17MBps videos through VidCoder at 9MBps and ended up with a 600 meg video as against PD's 1.1gig. The quality is virtually indistinguishable.

I am in the process of encoding the same 17MBps video at 6MBps to see if the quality drops too much. This may add another step into my video encoding but if I can save soo much space and more importantly hours and hours of upload time it will be worth it.

What can I say I now have a 400 meg file as against a 1.1gig file and the quality is still holding up so well, this needs more testing. I really really like it.

I might try Brygards trick of encoding inside PD at 190MBps to see if I can get my youtube video to match the original out of the camera.

I have seen some 3 MBps professional videos of exceptional quality so it is possible with the right encoder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2012 00:22

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
OK an update for anyone wishing to try and improve their PD videos.

1. I encoded my 9 minute test video in PD to 17MBps 1920X1080 .mt2s H.264. Very happy with the quality but at 1.1 gig it is just getting to large.

2. Dropped it into vidcoder and rendered it to mp4 at 9 & 6 MBps using Brygard's settings.

3. Result 9 MBps = 600MB.....6 MBps = 400 MB's quality of both virtually the same as the 1.1 gig PD render.

4. Bottom line for me I will be using vidcoder to re-render my PD videos at 6 MBps to save me more than half a day in uploading my videos to Youtube.

Would be nice if PD could buy out vidcoder to get the quality built into PD.

p.s. I did try one last test of producing my 9 minute video at 190MBps then running it through vidcoder and the end result the quality dropped just a touch. So not worth the extra time and effort of producing an 11 gig PD video. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Nice feedback.

I meant to clarify about the 190mbps that I use.

Depend whats your raw videos Mbps use it near that same or lower abit,the only reason I use 190mbps cause the raw video has a 269Mbps.

So for example if your camera spits out raw videos say 50Mbps,make a custom profile around 40 or 30mbps to save space while still maintaining the quality of the raw video with out artifacts or blocky videos effects.

Then proceed with vidcoder to make the 6mbps.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
My GoPro HD2 camera shoots at 15MBps so using PD at 17MBps lets me squeeze a little bit more out of it, especially when I am also stretching the video from 4:3 to 16:9.

I did just read though that a new firmware update is coming to bump the GoPro HD2 output up to 35MBps & 24fps. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My GoPro HD2 camera shoots at 15MBps so using PD at 17MBps lets me squeeze a little bit more out of it, especially when I am also stretching the video from 4:3 to 16:9.

I did just read though that a new firmware update is coming to bump the GoPro HD2 output up to 35MBps & 24fps.

Hi Robert

Have you tried the Windows Media Video 9 FULL HD (1920x1080) profile?

This profile reduced my full HD AVCHD files from 3GB to under 600MB! With virtually no loss in quality. Onle downside is it takes longer to Produce but then again it uploads in a fraction of the time Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

I will give it a go. I just started rendering and it says it will end up 600meg, over half an hour to render 9 minutes though.

600 meg is equal to VidCoder at 9 MBps. Will see if the quality is equal or better than Vidcoder at 6MBps 400 meg. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Well I tested the Windows Media Video 9 FULL HD (1920x1080) profile and it ended up 675 meg and less quality than the VidCoder 400 meg video. It is subtle but the .wmv video had pixelation on my blue harness, a section that really falls apart when dropping the quality. So with the extra rendering time and 275meg larger video file I will stick with VidCoder. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I also use WMV Full HD for my YouTube videos.

The other option is to go with MPEG4 and then use another program to make the files smaller. I use Handbrake for this and there you can do a two pass encode with whatever bitrate you want.

So the second option is very similar to what you are doing. So far I haven't run into quality issues with WMV. It's mostly FRAPS captures and retro games so the resolution / detail is quite low

A shame WMV doesn't work with QuickSync...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2012 01:30

RNoll3815 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Edmonds, WA Joined: Aug 17, 2015 15:03 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I make Aerospace instructional videos on high-tech industrial portable 3D metrology systems for shop floor operators. A mouth full I know. I am using PD 12 and regularly produce videos with the H.264 AVC codec, then change the suffix from wmv to m2ts so that I can embed the videos in a chm help file and have them play inside of Windows Media Center. The WMV Player can't really locate files easily inside of the chm so I changed the default player on my wmv's to WMV Center and they then play fine.. as long as users do the same on their computers. I change the suffix because the chm file doesn't support it, nothing more. I often have to change the chm file suffix inorder to transmit over Lync becuase it thinks it might contain a virus. I change it to txt and ask the recipient to change it back to chm.

I have a 8;53;15 video, at 1280x720, 2600kbps, 23fs & 48khz, 256kbps audio my file size is 1,762,370 KB. Too large for my chm to port out. VERY GOOD, but won't open in the wmv player called out in the chm file.

I changed settings from those above to a total bit rate of 3000kbps and the file size was reduced to 228,228 KB. VERY GOOD, and opens in wmv player.

I made one last file, everything the same again but at 1700kbps as one of the suggestions here. It made a file size of 77,511 KB. UNUSABLE. I also edited the Profile.ini to this. The editing didn't stay though. Reopening PD12 brings the defaults back into play.

I just went through the numbers I posted above on the bit rates to make sure I had them right becuase I am not using comas in them. It can get confusing and you can go cross-eyed looking at all the zeros.

I am including labeled screen grabs from the same location in the finished video. The 1700kbps bit rate file also had a time slip of about 5 sec from the other two so if I had included talking heads I would have to resync audio for them... but the video is so poor that I don't really think anyone would notice it.
[Thumb - Files.JPG]
 Filename
Files.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grab from filemanager of the files. Notice the creation times.
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
151 time(s)
[Thumb - Test3.jpg]
 Filename
Test3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Reduced in size in photoshop for your evaluation of contributing factor.
 Filesize
210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)
[Thumb - Test2.JPG]
 Filename
Test2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grabs of the three files.
 Filesize
620 Kbytes