Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 keeps crashing - SOLVED
JeffD76 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2012 20:07 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, tried doing the nature x10 at multiple resolutions. Here are the results:

1. MPEG2 - HD 720: finished fine, no crash.
2. MPEG2 - BD 1440x1080: finished production, crashed a few seconds later.
3. MPEG2 - BD 1920x1080: first try, crashed at 10%, second try finished fine. Crashed when I was resetting for first MP4 test.

4. Standard Quality mp4: finished fine.
5. High Quality mp4: first try crashed at 30%. second try, got 93% before crash.
6. Best Quality mp4: first try 40% before crash. second try same 40%.

The only other programs running were iTunes in the background playing music and my browser open to this page.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE:

Tried splitting original video into smaller parts to produce as MPEG2 HD 720. Got it into four parts: 3 ~3min and 1 ~5.5min. All rendered fine but was getting random crashes during editing and after production. Attempted to combine the first two 3 min clips in the same format, crashed after about 20%.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just to confirm, do you have shadow files turned off ? Preferences>general> Enable HD video processing> uncheck

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes shadow files is turned off. Just downloaded a free program called blender. After some tweaking, got the full video to render as an mp4 with no problems. How is a free program able to do something that this one can't seem to on my computer?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the additional information. Like everyone one here we are guessing and trying to give you options and possible solutions.

So far your project has been eliminated as the cause of the problem (corrupt files are not present). We have to some degree pointed at your PC and a possible installation/running of the software.
PowerDirector uses all your resources and will reveal hardware failings in your PC quite quickly. You may have HDD failing or Ram that is failing. You may even have too much heat being generated and retained within your PC causing it (parts within the PC to overheat, a build up of dust a failing fan etc) to fall over at critical stress points. I'm more inclined to guess you have a stress problem within your PC.

Please uninstall PDr10 and re-install after a reboot. The aim is to correct any installation issue.
Procedure is:
go to the Control Panel,
Uninstall PowerDirector
Uninstall Contents packs (some leave these in place)
Reboot
Reinstall PDR10
Reinstall Contents packs (if you uninstalled them)
APPLY ACTIVATION KEY
Install latest patch

I am offering an opinion and guessing. I do not have a definitive solution for your issue.

Dafydd
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your responses, I realize that there could be many problems and I was just getting frustrated yesterday.

As for your suggestion, I already uninstalled and re-installed. I also removed all the other video editing software I had installed (Nero, Creative, etc) and ran CCleaner before re-installing PD10, just to eliminate any possible software conflicts and registry issues.

Also ran a memory test using memtest and a stress test using BurnIn and didn't have any problems with either. I was thinking I may have had some bad RAM because of the exception code contained in the minidump file indicates such, but like I said, the tests I did came back clean.

While I would like to believe that the problem is somewhere with my computer, the fact that I was able to use another (free) program to essentially do the same thing I was attempting with PD10, leads me to believe that it is a software issue.

I would really like to find a solution to this problem since I actually paid money for this and am looking for something that has a simpler interface with a smaller learning curve than Blender seems to have. Thanks for your help, and if you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Blender is a free 3D graphics video creation program.
Is that what you are looking for, rather than a video editing program?
There are some pointers to free programs here:

http://www.akascope.com/2011/07/15/free-video-editing-software/

but you might have already looked for this.

Nina

Edit: this is just a suggestion if you don't get your PD to work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2012 04:04

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No I was looking for a video editing program. Yes blender is mainly for 3D stuff, but you can edit videos as well. However I really just want something that is more intuitive and video dedicated. PD10 is exactly what I was looking for, but it's just not working. I really want to figure this out since I spent $60 on it and can't afford to waste money right now.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
In my experience in these sort of circumstances, there may be 3 key areas to look at :
Codecs
software conflict
hardware

It might be worthwhile to boot into safe mode, set the screen res to over the minimum for PD (1024 x 768, 16-bit color or above), load PD, load Richvideo when asked, and then try the same render trials.

If that works, then it probably points to a driver/software conflict that is loaded later in full mode??

Do you have any codec pack installed? Problems can be experienced with some codec packs, however mostly it seems Klite may work OK and ffdshow often cures some issues but there are different experiences reported. I have worked with Shark007 codec pack in the past.

As HDedit pointed out sometimes the latest video drivers manage to break PD so it may be better to revert back to an earlier release.

Personally, over the last 2 years, I have experienced problems exposed by PD with a new mobo, that were cured by another mobo, a software conflict with a vendor pre-loaded TSR (cloud web storage), that prevented Windows Explorer working properly (hence PD crashing), and a vendor pre-loaded diagnostic program that produced audio clicks on my videos!

Cheers
Adrian

Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried producing the entire video (15min) in safe mode (no networking) and everything rendered just fine no crashes. So, now the question is how do I go about determining what program/driver is the issue?

As far as I know, I have not installed any codec packs. Is there an easy way to figure this out?

I also did upgrade my video card driver to the most recent one but I assume that loads up in safe mode correct? If so, then that may not be the problem.

Thanks again everybody for your help.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Some progress anyway.

Might be worth reproducing a crash and then viewing the event viewer to see what happened.
Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Event viewer

Using this highlighted the .dll that was implicated in the explorer crashes I was experiencing, I could then find out what the dll was associated with and that led me to uninstall the offending software and cure the issue.
This has the full story:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22711.page

I'm away for a few hours but I'll have a think about next steps and post later.

Cheers
Adrian
Confucius
vn800rider
[Post New]
If you have the experience, you might also try using the system configuration system in selective startup mode to try and isolate any issues - it tends to be a bit of a long drawn out process but if all else fails ...

This gives a good starting point:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-System-Configuration

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
vn800rider
[Post New]
Sorry, forgot this bit - as far as I know the main video drivers are not loaded in standard safe mode so they may still be an issue?? Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So reproduced the crash, but the problem seems to be that it never makes it to the event viewer. All of the crashes have just given me the PD10 error reporting screen where I can send the minidump file to Cyberlink. In addition, the line in the file that details the offending module says "unknown".

So seems like that won't be much help unless I can actually get it to stop responding through windows explorer.

Looks like I am going to be spending my day tomorrow cycling through selective startup to try to figure this out.

EDIT: Decided to roll back my Video card driver just to see if that my be the problem, still got the crash.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2012 14:29

JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok have an update here. Was messing around with some stuff tonight and have come across an interesting development. I had downloaded the K-lite codec pack because it said it could fix issues with existing codecs. Installed just fine and I decided to test it out. Went into PD10 and started editing a new video. Was going great for quite a while (remember I was getting a ton of crashes editing my last video) before the program stopped responding. I looked at the event log and apparently the RichVideo.exe keeps shutting down unexpectedly which causes PD to hang. Tried disabling the service, but PD won't run without it. I have a feeling this is causing some of my problem with rendering as well since I am getting the same offset code as what is in the crashrpt file that has been getting sent to Cyberlink. So any ideas on how to solve this? I can't seem to find anything on the web about updating or fixing the Rich Video component.
vn800rider
[Post New]
If you have the experience, there is a registry key that enables RichVideo. The default is enabled.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10\EnableRichVideo

default value 01 00 00 00

change to 00 00 00 00

to disable RichVideo

You will notice that the import media pop up no longer has the bottom section that allows previewing etc the selected media.

This is fully reversible so low risk but, as always, hack the registry at your own risk. Take a backup before editing it.

I don't know if RichVideo is used elsewhere in the system but I have run without it in previous versions just for testing. It is also used by other CL programs like PowerDVD so may have other purposes.........????

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2012 02:49

Confucius
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well that didn't work, apparently it's not RichVideo that is the problem.

Finally got around to doing a selective start up and took kind of a binary approach. Enabled all of the Microsoft services and attempted a production. Crashed. Great that means it is one of those. Disabled all and decided to go through one by one. Checked the Group Policy Client which enabled the RPC endpoint Mapper as well. So with only these processes running I attempted a render and it crashed.

Used another program "Starter" to see if there was anything else running at the time that Windows didn't list. I have attached an html file with that report. It seems all of these processes are essential to Windows. So what now? The crash reports either give me "unknown" as the offending module or "vphc700.dll" as the offending module.

I really don't want to be able to only use PD10 in safe mode as that is just not practical.
 Filename
starter services.html
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1237 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2012 13:51

Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Is there web cam & software installed? Google searches come up with this belonging to Phillips webcam or malware? Have you ran a malware program lately just to see if you clean? Grasping here...

Dave HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have a webcam installed, but I don't think it is being loaded in the selective startup is it? Did a malware scan a couple of weeks ago as part of my regular maintenance, but I suppose another one wouldn't hurt.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ran two malware scans just to be sure both came back clean. Have to go to work, but may try uninstalling my webcam when I get home and see if that does anything.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, so uninstalled the webcam and software and was able to render a 10 min version and the full version of the video. Reinstalled the webcam and software and once again the program crashed. Decided to try to simply disable the webcam in the device manager, and lo an behold, the video rendered with no crashes. WOOHOO!!! Finally think I found the problem.

I guess my only question would be why is the program trying to use the webcam when I am simply editing or producing video?

Anyways, thanks for all of the suggestions and help people, now I am off to finally create more vids.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2012 14:24