Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with Panasonic TM900 1080p50 project
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,
thanks for the information ....guess I'll have to get a warm jacket for my camcorder if I ever get to climb a mountain....and at 68 I doubt that will happen...I wouldn't be able to breath cause of copd. LOL
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Temperature can be dealt with, if you want video to edit in PD then you better generate some pressure in that warm jacket! Hard drives are not air sealed as you might think, the air pressure inside the drive is maintained by a small hole which communicates with the air pressure outside. If a drive is used at too high an altitude, the air pressure and density drop and becomes too thin to support the heads at their proper operating height. Keep in mind the heads float a few nanometers above the disk surface. If the heads get too close to the disk, the risk of head crash and disk failure will result.

Jeff
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
It's actually lower atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes, not lower temperature, that may cause a hard disk failure or damage. It's because standard hard disk designs rely on flying head air lift...
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Ok what if your camcorder is SdHC card or internal memory...no effect?
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
I see now JL_JL explained the altitude issue before me; somehow, I didn't see the post yesterday.

Anyway, sure, solid state technlogies (I mean chips, or semiconductor memories, whatever name) are not sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes or, relatively speaking, mechanical shocks...
GerryV [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2012 05:30 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Guys,

Thanx for all the feedback and suggestions, even on the unrelated altitude topic .
Just to let you know that after converting all 28Mbps 1080p50 video clips from the TM900 to L4.1 1080p50 (unofficial) @ 15 Mbps, PD (still 1424c) was able to finish producing the movie completely! There were quite some video freezes in the final result though, about 15. Peculiar difference is that where with the original footage the freezes were always at the beginning of a clip and lasted the entire clip, now the freezes are also in the middle of clips.
I believe PD has some bugs that the bigger the project, the more they occur. Probably memory related, processes writing outside of their buffers, whatever. So until fixed, I'll just follow the experts' advice and split up my projects in max 20 minute parts.

When I finally have my movie produced without error, I'll try the original project with the 1703 patch (unless I already run into the same problems on the 20 minute parts).

So CyberLink, 3 bug reports:
1) On big projects with 1080p50@28Mbps source material, PowerDirector freezes at undeterministic moments; freeze here means: the program has not crashed, is still responsive on its UI, but rendering has stopped and there is no way to get it to resume.
2) On big projects with 1080p50 source material (any bitrate), PowerDirector produces results with some parts (undeterministic) of video frozen.
3) At transitions between SVRT and Rendering (CPU rendering at least), artifacts are introduced. On VLC, the artifacts manifest themselves as black frames.
GerryV [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way, perhaps also interesting for somebody wanting to investigate further:
1) When doing Intelligent SVRT with the Handbrake-converted clips, it took hours to analyse and came back with more than a hundred profiles, all the same: AVC 1920x1080/50p (28 Mbps) with 25.500 Kbps video bitrate. I chose my custom profile instead.
2) PD stores a lot of info about precache and shadow files in the registry. So to start producing with a clean slate, deleting files may not be enough. According to CyberLink (link buried somewhere in the forum, search for RichVideo) the process RichVideo enables PD to reuse things determined while authoring during the production, to decrease production time.
3) The option to enable/disable RichVideo is not there in the GUI (shadow files is something else apparently). But there is a registry setting for it (like there also is for shadow files).
Cheers.
GerryV [Avatar]
[Post New]
SVRT tests with new patch 1703:
Where with 1424c I used to get a number of black frames just *before* a transition, now with 1703 I get a short freeze of the video right *after* the transition. I was able to reproduce the artifact with two clips, each one trimmed (beginning and end cut off), and a transition between them. Two full clips with a transition between them renders fine.

I am also able to confirm what Peter100 writes here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/20483.page. I frame-stepped through the old black frames and the new freeze with VLC. Framestepping through the sequence:
- The black frames produced with 1424c show as black frames
- The freeze produced with 1703 shows as a mangled sequence of frames: suppose the right order is 0123456789, then frames are in order 0516273849, after which the rest continues correctly.

Tried DynamicGOP=1, no luck.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gerry

Thanks for the follow up

The members here do not work for Cyberlink nor do Cyberlink monitor this forum.

We are all volunteer video editors - like yourself - sharing information and helping each other out due to the (sometimes, well almost) inadequate support from Cyberlink.

Your great suggestions should be directed to Cyberlink Technical Support:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/contact-support.jsp

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I am going to show my ignorance why would a video camera fail at a certain altitude? I
Jim

He's going to be in the Andes -- the problem is the llama spit. Jerry Schwartz