Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 has stopped working
mborland [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sun Prairie USA Joined: Jan 03, 2012 10:32 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Well, hate to shock you all I have no temp files on "C". All are successfully being created in the D:\temp folder. I did change PD to auto save to a folder on D: also. I ran the trial, edited a file (90 min HD mpeg2), exported as a PS3 compatible mp4, all while checking the "C" drive, and the available space never changed. So I am viewing this as a success! FWIW, maybe others could change their 'temp' variables to another drive to verify this. Oh, and "MyDocuments" is also ONLY on the "D" drive, so the cyberlink created subs in there ended up on the "D" also. I used the Location Mover tool for that. I do have a few more questions before I fully commit, but I will search the forums first, and then I will create a new post if needed. And it is the support by USERS here, along with the user add content on MyDirector that has leaned me heavily towards this product. Cl should give the active members here some bling or SOMEthing Oh, and did I mention how FAST this program runs? And yes, to all the people with troubles, I went out of my way to crash it. Couldn't do it. Yet
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marc,
Well I am glad you got it to work, I was under the impression that Windows 7 use C; for temp and that PD also used the c: drive but for your sake I am glad I was wrong...
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Quote: I was under the impression that Windows 7 use C; for temp and that PD also used the c: drive

James1;
Just to clarify (or maybe confuse slightly) the issue, there are many kinds of temporary processes that create temporary files/pages. Many DO NOT show when monitoring the space used on the drive, as the OS hides them and does NOT report the space as used.

Programs utilize algorithms of various kinds to control how processes occur and many of them DEFAULT to the OS drive whether there is a paging file there or not!! Eliminating the paging file on the OS drive can actually have a negative impact on program operation during paging, as it is then necessary for the program to create a temporary space "on-the-fly".

In 64BIT systems with large amounts of memory and high end CPUs and GPUs, the impact is reduced, but not ELIMINATED as memory-swaps and stitching are built in to the OS. Also, Legacy code snippets in supplementary programs (many of which are still 32BIT programs) are hard-coded to use the OS drive and must reprocess if no space is allocated.

Intensive processes, like video transcoding, generate memory fragments that are off-loaded to the drive to be "stitched" together, even if memory is available. If the system has to move these processes to another drive, the CPU and the separate drive controllers must work harder and create latency that can impact performance.

It is not recommended that the paging file be eliminated from the OS drive. Like overclocking...some swear by it, and some curse it!! There are people who will argue vehemently on both sides! This is not a PowerDirector issue, it is part of the program design for Windows OS, and has been for many years!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 03. 2012 23:38

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fredb,
Thanks for the reply....not sure whether it clarified me or not LOL. I am running a moderate system maybe i7 2600 3.4Gh processor 12 GB ram and an Geforce 560t graphics accelerator on Ausus motherboard, and 2-1.5 terabyte hard drives, never have thought about how things internally work...mine just works LOL
Jim
p.s Thanks again Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
mborland [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sun Prairie USA Joined: Jan 03, 2012 10:32 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I think you might be confusing the paging file with the temp variable. I still use a paging file, but it is hard coded to a specific size. Never changes. Once I upgrade from 8 to 16 gig, it will be gone. Period. As far as Windows not reporting drive space on the fly, I think I would need to see proof of that. Anyway, I have 2 gig free, on C:, and I don't think that would be enough. But in D:\temp, it is literally LITTERED with tmp files from PD, which I am very annoyed to report are NOT cleaned up after closing. I did see a setting about cleaning up after "X" amount of days. That would be acceptable, if PD used it's own folder, or at least one you could designate. I'll have to revisit that. And I will stand by my assertion, you CAN use a SSD, even a small one, if you manage your space efficiently. Running Win7 Pro, 64 G SSD, 2 gig free. Oh, and due too flooding in Thailand, still using my old 250 G for data storage. And temp files
[Post New]
EDIT: I rescind my statements added here... as I see no way to include them without stimulating conflict. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Caution to users...Think hard before Using SSDs, removing/moving pagefiles, adjusting %temp% variables or pointers to folders. Just my personal opinion.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 04. 2012 18:28

mborland [Avatar]
[Post New]
Diverse opinion is always welcome. The day I start NOT learning something new is the first day of my death. Sorry if it came across as contentious. Cheers and New Years glee
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Diverse opinion is always welcome. The day I start NOT learning something new is the first day of my death.

You might learn something then, too. Jerry Schwartz
Lululolalee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2012 05:56 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Power director has stopped working. I just bought the product and even though installed latest version of quick time and increased virtual memory, the programme wouldn't open. I sent several messages to support except the first one nobody answers me! I really need to use this programme please help me. I use vindows vista home edition 32bit 4gb RAM
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Power director has stopped working. I just bought the product and even though installed latest version of quick time and increased virtual memory, the programme wouldn't open. I sent several messages to support except the first one nobody answers me! I really need to use this programme please help me. I use vindows vista home edition 32bit 4gb RAM

I seem to recall that having video card drivers that are considered "old" by Power Director could keep it from opening. So it might be worth going to the website of you video card manufacturer and trying the latest driver for you PC setup. Worth a try! PD can be a bit finicky if the drivers are beyond a certain date or even today's date. I have had to revert to a slightly older driver to get things to work properly. So at time it requires a
Bit of experimentation to get things right.

In a pinch you could always uninstall Power Director and then reinstall it. This can sometimes be the answer.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Lululolalee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2012 05:56 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much for your reply, but i don't know who is my card manufacturer. I am not good to resolve computer problems. How can i find out who is the manufacturer?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you very much for your reply, but i don't know who is my card manufacturer. I am not good to resolve computer problems. How can i find out who is the manufacturer?

I would start a new topic so your problem might be solved seperately to this topic.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2012 06:37

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.