Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 - Unable to Play Movie (stored on laptop / external hard drive ) continuously
Swee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2011 00:43 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Michael,

I am in touch (via emails) with Akilesh (Cyberlink Tech Support) for 1 month now. He is still trying to resolve my problem without any success.

I would like to exchange snapshots how the movie folders looks like , ie, how it appears in the hard drive laptop & how it looks like when I open that movie in PDVD 10 .

Pls. refer to attachments .

Attachment #1 : Open Movie Structure - i -> Shows how the movie files look like in Hard Drive

Attachment #2 : Open Movie Structure - ii -> This is follow-up of Attachment #1 , ie, after I clicked on VIDEO_TS

Attachment # 3 : Open Movie Structure - iii -> In PDVD 10 , I clicked on VIDEO (top icon) and it listed the movie files .

Could you pls. email me a sample of how the movie look like in your hard drive & How it will look like in PDVD 10 ? That is, I am trying to compare your movie files (stored in your hard drive laptop) with my attachments.

I did not change the movie structure at all , ie, once I copied the movie into my laptop or external hard drive , I would open up the PDVD 10 and click on the VIDEO TAB -> that's how the movie segments are displayed.

As I said before, I am not a hi-tech genius, so, I have no clue how to change the movie structure at all.

Pls. forward your snapshots (just like my snapshots). Perhaps, I will be able to understand what went wrong .

Thanks.

Br,
Swee
[Thumb - Open Movie Structure - ii.png]
 Filename
Open Movie Structure - ii.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie Structure - ii
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
443 time(s)
[Thumb - Open Movie Structure - iii.png]
 Filename
Open Movie Structure - iii.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie Structure - iii
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
465 time(s)
[Thumb - Open Movie Structure - i.png]
 Filename
Open Movie Structure - i.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie Structure - i
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
462 time(s)
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Swee,

From the looks of your file structures in your attachments, I get the impression that you are trying to play movie files that are stored on your hard drive. The procedure is different from playing media files.

I am no expert with PowerDVD but I think I may know what your problem is. Attached are screen shots to help explain.

To play a movie file (DVD) that is stored on a hard drive disk. (I use PowerDVD version 8 but the procedure should be the same):

1 - Open PowerDVD
2 - You should find a button or something similar (mine is an envelope on the lower left side) that will give you the option to choose the drive. See attachment
3 - Click on the option to play a movie file (not a media file) Navigate to the movie file on the hard drive.
4 - Click on the parent folder to play the movie file. See attachment (it likely have a different name than the ones on my system)

This should open the movie file as if you placed a DVD in the DVD drive. It should not be necessary to copy the files to the play list in PowerDVD, in fact if you open the way described above you will not have an option to copy to a play list.

I hope this helps.

Hal
[Thumb - PowerDVD.png]
 Filename
PowerDVD.png
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDVD source selction screen
 Filesize
192 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
358 time(s)
[Thumb - DVDfolders.png]
 Filename
DVDfolders.png
[Disk]
 Description
DVD folder structure
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
343 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

1. please make sure that all DVDs have an own folder (do not put two or more DVD structures into one folder)
2. in PowerDVD enter the video module
3. select the folder in which the DVD structure is saved (do not enter)
4. press play

using this way I can playback DVD structure smoothly without problem, including the menu

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Swee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Hal ,

PDVD 10 is totally different from your PDVD 8 .

PDVD 10 does not have the button that looks like an envelope in PDVD 8 .

Main Problem -> Movie title does not even appear ; instead movie segments are listed.

Pls. see attachments.

Br,
Swee

[Thumb - Open Movie Structure - Pt. #1.png]
 Filename
Open Movie Structure - Pt. #1.png
[Disk]
 Description
How It Appears When I Open PDVD 10
 Filesize
1663 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)
[Thumb - Open Movie Structure - Pt. #2.png]
 Filename
Open Movie Structure - Pt. #2.png
[Disk]
 Description
Next Step When I Clicked on Video Tab at the top
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
Swee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Cyberlink Tech Support finally provided me a PDVD 9 .

Guess what? With PowerDVD 9 provided, I found out the root of the problem , ie, I compared it with PowerDVD 10 .

My Problem -> PowerDVD 10 -> When I open movie (stored in hard drive) , movie segments popped up. See attachment # 1 (Open Movie with PowerDVD 10)

Root of Problem :

-> PowerDVD 10 -> I stored the movie under VIDEO folder, ie, My Documents -> Library -> Videos
That's how the movie segments are displayed

-> PowerDVD 9 -> It can open movies stored in VIDEOS folder (My document -> Library-> Videos) , ie, movie title appears in it . Pls. refer to attachment # 2 (Open Movie with PDVD 9)

Conclusion
-> PDVD 9 can play movies stored under VIDEOS folder (My Documents-> Library -> Videos)
-> PDVD 10 cannot play movies stored under VIDEOS Folder

I suggested to Akilesh (Cyberlink Tech Support) to inform his lab technicians about the issue. Also, in PDVD 10 User Guide, there is no guidance as to how to play YouTube files (stored in Hard Drive) continuously. Resolution -> Highlight all the YouTube files and click PLAY, that's how you get to watch the YouTube files continuously.

So, that explain for my frustration with PowerDVD 10 .

PROBLEM SOLVED ! CASE CLOSED !!!

Br,
Swee

Br,
Swee

[Thumb - Open Movie with PowerDVD 10.png]
 Filename
Open Movie with PowerDVD 10.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie with PDVD 10
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
323 time(s)
[Thumb - Open Movie with PowerDVD 9.png]
 Filename
Open Movie with PowerDVD 9.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie with PDVD 9
 Filesize
976 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
325 time(s)
Swee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Cyberlink Tech Support finally provided me a PDVD 9 .

Guess what? With PowerDVD 9 provided, I found out the root of the problem , ie, I compared it with PowerDVD 10 .

My Problem -> PowerDVD 10 -> When I open movie (stored in hard drive) , movie segments popped up. See attachment # 1 (Open Movie with PowerDVD 10)

Root of Problem :

-> PowerDVD 10 -> I stored the movie under VIDEO folder, ie, My Documents -> Library -> Videos
That's how the movie segments are displayed

-> PowerDVD 9 -> It can open movies stored in VIDEOS folder (My document -> Library-> Videos) , ie, movie title appears in it . Pls. refer to attachment # 2 (Open Movie with PDVD 9)

Conclusion
-> PDVD 9 can play movies CONTINUOUSLY stored under VIDEOS folder (My Documents-> Library -> Videos)
-> PDVD 10 cannot play movies CONTINUOUSLY stored under VIDEOS Folder

I suggested to Akilesh (Cyberlink Tech Support) to inform his lab technicians about the issue. Also, in PDVD 10 User Guide, there is no guidance as to how to play YouTube files (stored in Hard Drive) continuously. Resolution -> Highlight all the YouTube files and click PLAY, that's how you get to watch the YouTube files continuously.

So, that explain for my frustration with PowerDVD 10 (CANNOT PLAY MOVIE CONTINUOUSLY)

PROBLEM SOLVED ! CASE CLOSED !!!

Br,
Swee

Br,
Swee
[Thumb - Open Movie with PowerDVD 9.png]
 Filename
Open Movie with PowerDVD 9.png
[Disk]
 Description
Open Movie with PDVD 9
 Filesize