Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to burn H.264 folders or discs
Ben0
Newbie Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Aug 10, 2010 16:06 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. Good to know it's not just me! Since I've had no editing or producing problems of any kind yet, and can burn to everything but H.264, I've wondered if my pc was actually the culprit. I tried what another poster had recommended elsewhere on the forum: edit and render in PD8 and burn with different software. I have an OEM version of PowerProducer, and was able to use that to burn AVCHD discs in DVD and Blu-Ray formats with no problem. Last night I edited and rendered just over an hour long video with PD8 to MPEG-2 format with the following included:

Master Video track:
64 1920x1080 .MOV clips with transitions between all of them (a combined total of about 46 minutes)
128 photos with transitions between all of them and movement on all of them

PIP Track 1:
128 photos with 10 second durations and fades in and out of all

Title Track:
16 photos (I created a small test, then copied and pasted (appended) it to the end 16 times to get to an hour)

Voice Track:
128 10 second voice overs

The MPEG-2 rendered file was 8.32 gigs and took 3 hours to produce.
The AVC Blu-Ray disc burned contains 8.71 gigs of data and PowerProducer didn't display the time stat. Maybe it's in a log file someplace.

So I'm making progress. I don't know if PowerProducer is limited in what it can do from a menu design perspective. I'm guessing that if it is, I could use another brand of burner and get the desired output. My goal is to be able to get 2 hours of widescreen 1920x1080 DVD and Blu-Ray content at a minimum of 12 MBPS with photos and voice overs mixed in on one disc.

I'm not sure exactly which format I should be rendering to, prior to burning to AVC, to lose the least quality. I've been told to edit at the highest resolution possible before burning, but with this two step process, I don't know. It seems that to produce to a higher compression rate (AVC) and then to recompress at that rate (if PowerProducer does, in fact, recompress AVC) at the burning stage could mangle your data. I haven't taken the time to test all the possibilities yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tonight I'll double the test file and see what happens and will report back. We'll see if this old box can handle it. Could be the case of where John Henry meets the steam-powered steel driver!

Thanks to all for your help,
Ben

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32 GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
INTEL 240GB 520 Series SSD, 3TB Barracuda
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Kodak PlaySport: 1920x1080 @ 30fps, H.264(MOV), AAC
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I am chasing this issue up with CyberLink.

Dafydd
Ben0
Newbie Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Aug 10, 2010 16:06 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd.

I'm starting to understand why being able to render and burn in 1 step is the way to go to preserve quality. It'd be great to be able to do that with all available formats in PD8.

The 2 hour test video I rendered in PD8 today came to 16.5 gigs, which indicates that I could get 3 hours of video on a Blu-Ray disc using MPEG-2 - not bad. But I noticed that the Blu-Ray data written to disc by PowerProducer is of the MPEG-2 variety - not H.264, so I'm not testing with that anymore. (MPEG-2 Blu-Ray burning works for me in PD8 already.) So I produced a PD8 1 hour test project to AVCHD, which came to 4.54 gigs and, by the time PowerProducer added the default menu, it was over the limit for a 4.7 gig DVD. I'm re-rendering the file in MPEG-2 to compare the size of the output. Have some dual layer DVD's on order, so I need to learn which formats make the most sense for rendering and burning. I've learned that you can't buy re-writable dual layer DVDs, which makes experimenting with them expensive!

Can anyone recommend a good forum post or discussion, website, or book with info on video editing and burning and the related file formats and compression pros and cons, tips? Something veering more toward application vs. theory.

Thanks again,
Ben Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Doctorkeo
Newbie Location: Paphos, Cyprus Joined: May 31, 2010 07:00 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just an update on my own 21% crash – To make sure that my problem was with version 3022, after successfully burning my AVCHD disc I upgraded my version 1930 to version 3022 and retried to burn another AVCHD disc using the same source file – crashed at 21%. I re-installed version 1930 and PD is working again for me. The standard un-install didn’t work – (I received other errors), so I used Revo to un-install PD, then PD worked fine –ish – I still have the same problems I posted to the forum with shadow files – and have to use a work around on that!
Tony
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1
Core i5
12.0GB RAM
nVidia Geforce Gt 520
500 g HDD
750 g HDD
HP DVD Rewriter
LG BD Rewriter
Video cam Panasonic HDC-SD9
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
When burning Blu-Ray you should have a choice of MPEG 2 or H.264. Your system specs are similar to mine and I tried to burn an 8 minute AVCHD file, but PD estimated that it would take almost 2 hours, so I use MPEG 2 now. However, I have never had it freeze or crash. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Ben0
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

That's great that you retested your version changes. Thanks for chiming in. We're not hearing from folks who successfully burn H.264 in build 3022, at least in this thread, but I'd assume that it's happening or there would be more complaints. I'm new to PD, but build 1930 sounds like a long time ago. Hopefully, Cyberlink will take time to take a look at this. I haven't tried using the shadow files because I saw that Dafydd had recommended to several different posters that they turn them off. Maybe I should test burning to H.264 with them turned on.

Hi Jaime,

I do have the choice of H.264 for AVCHD and Blu-Ray - it just doesn't work. But I should be able to get the project I'm starting with done with MPEG-2, although it looks like from my testing, to get 2 hours of video, the way I'm editing it, on a dual layer dvd, I'll have to render first to a reduce bit rate custom profile and then burn. I'm not anticipating space problems with Blu-Ray. But I would like to be able to use H.264. From my reading, that seems like the intelligent choice these days.

Ben Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
One of the fixes for 3022 was:

"2. Error message pops up during disc burning."

If you want an earlier build Ben then please contact me with your PD8 date of purchase, order number, full name and email address. I have the information but will release it after your data has been confirmed.

Dafydd
Doctorkeo
[Post New]
The ongoing experience with Version 1930, I did think that staying with this version was maybe not a cure all, but did think I would be able to produce 1920 x 1080 slide shows – not so. After successfully producing my first slide show, I just (perhaps foolishly!) think I could do the same with different photos, still 1920 x 1080. Version 1930 hung at 49% for over an hour, the next attempt at 29% for over an hour. Thinking that maybe it was something in the photos that v 3022 was causing my slide show 1 to crash at 21%, so having little choice as v 1930 was now not working I upgraded to v 3022 – You may be ahead of me here! Yes, v 3022 crashed at 21%. Using Revo I uninstalled v 3022 and reinstalled 1930 – I have slide show 2. PD8 is far superior to the other programs I’ve used Corel X2 and X3, Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and Pinnacle - IMHO – but after this I’m just about to jump ship! I’ve downloaded Sony Video Studio 10.
On the shadow files as my computer isn’t very powerful I really have little choice other than to use them – but work when I disable Cyberlink Richvideo Service(CRVS) in Services – Why, I don't know, I'm just glad they do!
Tony
Core i5
12.0GB RAM
nVidia Geforce Gt 520
500 g HDD
750 g HDD
HP DVD Rewriter
LG BD Rewriter
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Whe you switched from the Trial to the PD8 Ultra (V3022) - did you ensure you completely removed all the "old" PD files/drivers etc?
I have only just read your thread but I have no problem at all with PD8 now days - it does have odd little foibles but never fails to finish a job no matter what I throw at it.

IMO your system should be OK - its not the latest technology in terms of speed but it should be OK I think - did you ever submit a dxdioag of your system when it has failed - it might make interesting reading.

Don

PS 1. I believe Dafydd has been in contact with CL regarding the uninstaller files, but am unsure where we are with that
2. I also had problem with installing/uninstalling ATI drivers. When I have upgraded PD in the past I have always removed AND reinstalled the ATI drivers because of dual display issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2010 05:43

Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ben,

Leave the Shadow Files "OFF" for the moment. I think turning them on would just make your situation worse.

I think we should have samples from your camera - the mov files which are produced. I'll provide you with a location to place the files - 5 to 10 seconds of unedited footage please. Please provide the various frame sizes etc your camera produces.

At the location I provide you'll see a whole range of other cameras and samples. Please take the opportunity to download and try some on your system.

I'd also like you to start a few new projects and do a couple of things.
1. Use the 720p footage from your camera and edit and create to disc - report back please.
2. I'd like you to alter the .mov extension to .mp4 and see what effect that has.
3. I particularly want you to alter the 720p to mp4 to see what that has and effect. I'd also like you to create a 3g2 file from the 720p see link here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43230
4. I want to know what happens when you use the various sample clips and testing them on your system etc.

I'll PM you the guide to upload information.

Please be assured that CyberLink are aware of a problem but trying to find the cause and get a suitable result is proving harder as systems differ and as you can see not everyone has the same problem.

I also wonder if you have sufficient ram to cope with the render process - if you can up it to 6 or 8gb that would be a lot better.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2010 06:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I should add that the 3g2 should be changed to .mp4 and then reintroduced into PD and used to create a disc. Hope that is ok, it's an experiment to see in a QT file created by PD will burn ok or have a problem.

Dafydd
Ben0
[Post New]
Tony,

Sorry you're having so much trouble! I chose PD because my pc fit within the stated system requirements. Several other inexpensive editors required more hardware. I noticed that Premier Pro requires a 64 bit processor.

Don,

Thanks for your message. When I bought PD8, I uninstalled the Trial version and ran CCCleaner before doing the full product install. I did see info in on the forum since then, about modifying the registry between installs, but didn't think I needed to do that, at this point. I also did not remove my existing ATI drivers before installing the latest ones. Maybe I'm living dangerously! As much as I hate doing installs/reinstalls, I'll surely do it if need be.

Dafydd,

Will leave off the shadow files. I have PM'd you back with some information. I did convert a short .MOV clip to MP4, using H.264Encoder (net freeware) and got the same hang at 21% trying to burn to H.264. Here's the MEDIAINFO data on it:

http://beno.home.texas.net/MOV%20Converted%20to%20MP4.PNG

Thanks much for your help,
Ben

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is definitely a 3022 issue.

Thanks for the data Ben. I think you might like to try out version 2704.

Dafydd
Doctorkeo
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
I'm in the same boat as Ben, although going back to version 1930 works only if I use Revo (or simular) to uninstall, but this works one time only. The first slideshow burns fine but the next slideshow hangs at a random percentage today it hung at 58% & 43%. I tried burning the slideshows without the reinstall but deleting temp files using ccleaner - still the dame hang during burning. Where can I download version 2704?
Thanks
Tony Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1
Core i5
12.0GB RAM
nVidia Geforce Gt 520
500 g HDD
750 g HDD
HP DVD Rewriter
LG BD Rewriter
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was waiting for you to ask.

Do I have your contact details?

I'll send you a PM.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony and Ben,
Let us know how you get on. Thanks
Dafydd
Doctorkeo
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
Thanks very much for sorting out version 2704 - It has worked for me - I was able to burn 2 slideshows without having to reinstall the software. Sorry for not replying sooner but life conspires against you sometime (work!) and I’m unable to get on with my hobby. I was being a little dense, and it took me a few goes to sort out how to install version 2704 – First I thought it was a patch – Anyway so far so good – Thanks again
Tony
Core i5
12.0GB RAM
nVidia Geforce Gt 520
500 g HDD
750 g HDD
HP DVD Rewriter
LG BD Rewriter
[Post New]
PowerDirector Ultra v8.00.2330
I have same problem with Create Disc stopping at 21% at 1 second left also. Doesn't matter if I just tell it to write to file or burn. I was trying to burn a DL disc using AVCHD. I can do that from Nero 10. I choose HD 1440x1080 which is the same resolution as my Sony HDR-XR550v. I don't know if it matters that it is interlaced video not progressive. I also choose Dolby Digital 5.1 as that is the sound that comes from my camera.

The other oddity is when I first came to the Create Disc the default menu showed my chapter photos, now it doesn't, but still shows the buttons to go to the next screen and they all work and shows chapters just no change in photos just the default ones. Can I tell what version I originally got, before reinstalling? I updated before even using it.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display 1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero
Hitachi 400gb system drive
Seagate Free Agent Xtreme external via Firewire 750GB contains video files
DH20A4H DVD burner
[Thumb - PowerDirector Ultra v8.00.2330 21 percent stuck.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector Ultra v8.00.2330 21 percent stuck.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector Ultra v8.00.2330 21 percent stuck
 Filesize
66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
258 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2010 17:38

Ben0
[Post New]
Hi All,

Have uploaded the 4 file types the Kodak PlaySport cranks out to the Cyberlink Video directory.

Have done a lot of testing of burning to AVCHD, from a produced file. I had some sucess. I was never able to burn AVCHD directly, however. There were anomalies - no explanation:

All of the following are AVCHD burn attempts of the produced file only. With my own files I applied minimal edits. I produced the downloaded files "as is."

(EDITS APPLIED BELOW)

I tested one of Andrew's Canon files (Andrew_24mbps_1080_25p) and the produce file burned correctly the first time. Then, using the same steps, it would not burn. I tried it maybe 5 more times. -Very weird.

I then tried burning formats other than the 1920x1080 from my PlaySport, using the SD options.

720p, 60fps burned correctly the first time, then failed the next two times.
720p, 30fps burned correctly 3 times in a row.
1080p 30fps, which I'd been trying for several weeks now, failed to burn correctly.

I downloaded one of Tony's Canon files (Tony_1920x1080_15MBps_CanonHFS100), and the produce file from it would not burn.

All of these failures stopped at 21% of the Authoring phase.

Had a chance to do a little more testing tonight, using a downloaded Cyberlink Video, a Canon Vixia HF11 file, 00014.mts. I could burn it directly to disc (AVCHD option), the only file I've been able to do that with. When I did test producing it, in my viewer screen, I got a full screen "SVRT3 Smart Video Rendering Technology" message, and it ran so fast, I assume it made no changes. This was also a first in my testing of PD8. When I produced, I selected the AVCHD 1920x1080 (no 24 bit) option. This burned twice successively when I tried it.

However, when I rendered 00014.mts at 24 bit, it failed at the fateful 21% authoring mark when attempting to burn. But as I'm working with PD8 and thinking through what is happening, maybe it makes no sense to try to burn a dvd at 24bit HD anyway, unless it's a pretty small file.

I have downloaded version 2407 and will install it next week and see what I'm into there!

Am heading out of town for the weekend. Will check back Tue.

Thanks for all the help,
Ben

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2010 00:15

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Doctorkeo
[Post New]
An update on version 2704, as said in my previous post, version 2704 now will successfully burn my 1920 x 1080 AVCHD slideshows. This morning when trying to burn slideshow 3, I notice that the option “Enable hardware video encoder” was unchecked, so I checked that box. PD8 crashed at 21%. I ran the same slideshow with the box unchecked, PD8 successfully burnt the disk. Just to make sure that the first crash wasn’t associated with anything else, I again run PD8 with the “Enable hardware video encoder” checked, again PD8 crashed at 21%. Hope this helps.
Tony
Core i5
12.0GB RAM
nVidia Geforce Gt 520
500 g HDD
750 g HDD
HP DVD Rewriter
LG BD Rewriter
[Post New]
Disabling Enable hardware video encoder fixed mine, but I had to first figure out how to not select it as I couldn't turn it on or off, even though Cuda is turned on. I found that if I go to Produce, H.264, select Fast video rendering, select Hardware video encoder there, I can now go to Create Disc and select it. Definitely a bug as I shouldn't need to go through Produce to create a disc.

Now that I can get hardware video encoder checked I did a Burn to a folder and it completed. ETA 4hrs turned in to reality of 9h 25m to burn 2hr music video BD H.264 1440x1080 Dolby Digital 5.1. It only took 2m to burn the menu. What this tells me is that PD is enabling hardware acceleration by default and they must have a bug in their acceleration logic that causes it to hang at 21%. I can understand why they would want to default to acceleration otherwise they might be known as the slowest compilers around. I know the Produce didn't take anywhere as long and only the menus are additional so will have to do some further testing. Now I have to actually burn this file hope it doesn't take as long.

P.S. I disabled those ads also. If we could see the video being generated under Create like we can with Produce, maybe we could figure out what audio/video/effect it is hanging the hardware video encoder easier.

I did do the test with the sample video repeated 4x with chapters and it worked, so maybe it's larger videos that kick in Hardware encoding at some point.

I had 4/3/2010 8.17.11.9745 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS driver.
Updated to 7/9/2010 8.17.12.5896,
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 258.96

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 05. 2010 03:42

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS v258.96
ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display
K-Lite 32bit & 64bit
1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero