Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
FULLY Uninstall PowerDVD10 trouble
RYAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2010 10:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have been back and forth at least 20 times with Cyberlink support since installing PowerDVD9 on my new HTPC back in March of this year. I have uninstalled, installed PowerDVD9 and 10 and have NEVER gotten it to work fully. I did get PowerDVD10 installed, but then when trying to update the software when new patches were released, they would fail to be installed. I posted these errors in support tickets, they always told me it was a know issue, they were working on it, be patient, etc.

Well, after another 10 weeks of waiting for an answer from support, I decided to contact them again. I was given directions and how to uninstall and then reinstall again, PowerDVD9 then PowerDVD10, etc. BUT, when I tried to apply the key they gave me it invalid key error after three attempts and more of my wasted time.

I have tried to fully uninstall PowerDVD and it no longer shows up in my program list, or in Windows/Programs folders.

BUT, there is still a window (now without the PowerDVD10 icon) in my Windows Media Center strip.
I still shows up in the extras menu with WMC as well. I want this removed please.

SO PLEASE, could I get a proper final solution on how to fully get rid of all Cyberlink PowerDVD off my system. I'm guessing there is a registry key that needs to be deleted, and a service that also needs to be disabled/deleted as well so it no longer shows up in WMC.

A solution (not just a suggestion) is required.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Ryan,

sorry - but for such issue you need to contact our customer support team.

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
RYAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well Cyberlink-Michael,

That's the response I expected from you guys,

"sorry - but for such issue you need to contact our customer support team."

If you read the first sentence of my post, I have been back and forth with your support team over 20+ times over the past 6+ months and STILL do not have my issue resolved.

I'm still waiting for your support team to answer my last ticket from 3 days ago.

Darvin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2010 10:03 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
This ever get resolved?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2010 08:14

RYAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: This ever get resolved?

No, it has not.

I used ccleaner and still can't fully get rid of some remants of PowerDVD off my system.

I did purchase and installed ArcSoft TMT3 without a hitch and it works great.

Kicking myself I didn't go that route back in March.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2010 09:30

Darvin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2010 10:03 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Too bad, I had a issue and it turned out to be my anti-virus program. I was going to suggest as you install disabled it but since your good.

Cheers
Instant Loser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2008 02:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
There's always the oldie but goldie.. Wipe, reimage.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Joseph,

I personally liked that answer. I am not one of the "You guys" the original poster was referring to...actually I don't know WHO he was referring to since this entire forum is made up of USERS of the software, and this is not a technical support avenue. So maybe it should have been, "That's the response I expected from USER guys" instead.

But I understand and empathize with his frustration and hope the problem is resolved. But a clean OS install would be a very certain solution, and it wouldn't involve technical support at all.

Personally I use many of the Cyberlink products...Power DVD 10 being one of them and I have found it to be a pleasure to use...never a problem....only brilliantly displayed DVD's and Blu-Ray's on my system. I am one very satisfied customer!!

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
RYAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Joseph,

I personally liked that answer. I am not one of the "You guys" the original poster was referring to...actually I don't know WHO he was referring to since this entire forum is made up of USERS of the software, and this is not a technical support avenue. So maybe it should have been, "That's the response I expected from USER guys" instead.

But I understand and empathize with his frustration and hope the problem is resolved. But a clean OS install would be a very certain solution, and it wouldn't involve technical support at all.

I was referring to CyberLink Support as 'You Guys'.
Since taking my issue to CyberLink Support tickets did not solve my issue, I finally posted here. Then was told above to go back to the support tickets.

Sure I could go and reinstall windows and start from scratch, but I installed PowerDVD on a fresh system back in March and since then have done everything their support tech's have suggested.

I'm sure uninstalling, reinstalling again and again has now left my fresh system cluttered with remnants of PowerDVD.

My real issue is that their support never gave me a fix.

If I do go the reinstall windows route, I will not be installing any CyberLink products.

And, no they still have not gotten back to me.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ryan,

Since Technical support hasn't gotten back to you and you want to make sure that there are no remnants of Power DVD 10 on your system, then I would think a reinstall of your OS would be a proper thing to do. Yes, in a normal world, is it excessive? Probably, but at least you are in control of the situation and not waiting for them to get back to you and then your frustration level reaching a critical point before you get a solution that works for you.

Then once you have your OS up and running then you don't reinstall any of the Cyberlinks products, you should then be all set and be able to move forward with your other DVD playing product. Be sure to join their forum as well as I monitor their forums as well and they are not without their issues. But maybe everything will be perfect and you will not have any future needs for technical support.

Good Luck and hopefully all will be well again.

Regards,

KEvin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
RYAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin,

I do have everything else working as it should.

Bitstreaming HD Audio, Ceton InfiniTV 4, media browser, customizations, and now TMT3.

So, all is well other than PowerDVD not taking their support seriously.

I do follow several other forums and like most DIY HTPC enthusiasts I understand not everything works as planned the first time. My technical skills are far from being a beginner at these things as well. So I understand there may be issues at times.

But some things are out of my control, like getting a proper link or code given by support to work.

So my experience with Cyberlink Support should be documented. Their product line seems very good.

Ryan

weemantam [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2011 14:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just incase anyone else having this same problem I have managed to use the actual windows uninstall despite having similair problems to Ryan.

Using Tune Up Utilities (but I imagine the processes window will do a similaior job) I saw three processes running which prevented the uninstall kicking off. Sadly I didn't take a note of what processes they were ( though 2 appeared to be directly named as Power DVD processes) and I would imagine that using the standard windows processes will be a real pain because the process names are limited to their shortform application names. Even using uninstall in safe-mode wouldn't uninstall so (despite not being quite helpful enough in being able to pinpoint the exact files) I thought it worth poionting out that it IS possible to remove the three memory based applications which prevent the uninstall following through properly.

Sorry can't be more specific but good luck if you can spot them!
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
Ryan if you happen to come back... Which flavor of windows are you using?

You could do the steps located here
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

Again do NOT install anything just cofirm the uninstalls are no longer available, use the CLEANER for PDVD9 and PDVD10 further down, and then remove the directories they mention. Make sure all ANTIVIRUS are disabled during the uninstall and cleaner steps

I notice in my windows 7 64bit enterprise SP1 it removed powerdvd from my windows media center list, but i didn't pay attention which portion of these steps did it. I do remember in my prior days always have a pdvd9 left in the list..
RYAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I thought this was dead.
I ended up doing a complete re-install of Windows7 Pro x64 on my system. I did not install PowereDVD10 on my main HTPC as the problems outlined above and here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10632.page
were never solved. I'm running TMT5 on my main HTPC and am very happy with it.
Since I do have a paid copy of PowerDVD10 (and tried to get my money back - after several support requests) I installed it on my workstation system I use for testing (Win7 Ultimate x64. And it too gives me the same error every time I start it (WMC or stand alone - TODO - File Description has stopped working)
I sent many support tickets to Cyberlink in my attempts to resolve this issue.
I have all up to date patches installed, but still get this error.
It will play the BD, but the error comes up everytime and I have to canel it with a mouse .
That being said, I'll never load it on any of my HTPCs again.
Jumping through hoops for this program & still have it not work properly is not worth it.
TMT5 has worked great and I'm happy now.
weemantam [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2011 14:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah. I ended up with Arcsoft TMT myself and it's been flawless so far. Power DVD was all very good when it worked but the aggravation when it doesn't work is really beyond belief. Even NERO (and yes I own Nero 9 which is dismally slow) have the good manners to produce a clean utility which gets rid of all the previous dregs of the nero installs. Cyberlink should consider the same since the forums are turning out to be advertising boards for their competition.