Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 365 for Windows and Mac?
aufbau [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2016 02:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have a PowerDirector 365 subscription and had been using it on a Windows machine for the past couple years. I just got a Mac and I'm wondering if I can use the same subscription for my Mac, or do I have to buy a new subscription? I THOUGHT I'd be able to use it on the Mac as well, but I can't figure out how to install it. I installed the CyberLink Application Manager on my Mac and logged in and I don't have an option to install PowerDirector 365.

Thanks in advance for your help.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Unfortunately they are currently separate subscriptions, I'm guessing because the features are slightly different. You'll need to unsubscribe from the PC version and get a new subscription for 365 for Mac.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
aufbau [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2016 02:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the response. That's unfortunate. I'll likely be looking for other alternatives then.
Paulemm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2018 08:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
HI
I have the same problem, and in the marketing info published online, it definitely says that I can use my subscription on windows and mac, one license covers two machines.

So I cannot accept that this has to be a new subscription, the Cyberlink marketing info is misleading.

Using technical differences as an excuse is very poor - as a user you buy the software system, and you also buy the Cyberlink promise that it can be used on two machines, windows, and mac

Cheers -
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a link to the confusing statement? I've never seen anything that would lead me to believe that Win and Mac apps would share the same license. For example the subscription page clearly states it's a Mac app:

It's true that the subscription itself allows installation on two machines, but it's been very clear to me that that means two Windows or two Mac machines, not one of each.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's true that the subscription itself allows installation on two machines, but it's been very clear to me that that means two Windows or two Mac machines, not one of each.

True, is it?
Two machines, where is that documented for the subscription? We went through this a few years back https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79669.page#post_box_327578 and I see nothing different today. To my knowledge all the old reference that may have indicated two, is gone. The note today is still:
"Note: One subscription plan is for single (1) PC use at a time only."

The MAC sales pages does not even reference the "Note".

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2022 15:44

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Lots of information is shared in the forums from users who pursue to fix issues that may not be in the official documentation. The findings are not usually objected to by CyberLink. This article is the findings of this author who found that one could install in on 3 to 4 computers before you get a warning: https://homestudioexpert.com/can-you-install-powerdirector-on-multiple-computers/ . This is found to work by other users in other forums too. Two should be okay as long as you sign out of the one you are not currently using.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Lots of information is shared in the forums from users who pursue to fix issues that may not be in the official documentation. The findings are not usually objected to by CyberLink. This article is the findings of this author who found that one could install in on 3 to 4 computers before you get a warning: https://homestudioexpert.com/can-you-install-powerdirector-on-multiple-computers/ . This is found to work by other users in other forums too. Two should be okay as long as you sign out of the one you are not currently using.

Yep, no limit of two for subscription. As the "Note" I referenced states, just use it on one PC at a time and it's CL official.

This in your link appears very questionable.
"In short, a single license can be used and installed on two devices. For example, you can install the PowerDirector on both your laptop and desktop or even install it on a Windows computer or Mac."
Even though the article is current, updated Nov 2, 2022, I don't believe this statement is valid, it to me implies one can mix Windows and Mac.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2022 17:43

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that two installations are accepted. My pc had a Machine name: Desktop -???????. The m2 boot drive failed and could not be repaired by the Windows 11 pro on a flash drive. Had to install Windows on a brand new m2 drive which then gives it a new different Machine name. I was able to install both PD17 and PD365 on the new m2 drive without ever signing out of it on the failed old m2 drive. Both PD versions worked properly. The NB packs won’t activate on the new m2 drive because I did not deactivate them on the old m2 drive before it failed. Fixed by NB after giving them the key codes to deactivate. I think that this may show that two activations on two different machine names were successful for PowerDirector without having to sign out of one of them. There was no need to contact Cyberlink to deactivate it on the old machine name like I had to do with NB.

I know that others have said on this forum that you have to sign in on PD for the pc you want to edit on. They have said that this then signs you out of PD on the other pc that you are currently not using. My experience with the two different m2 drives tells me that they are right.