Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blank Icons and hissing audio.
philm5d [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2013 17:13 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
In PD 19 - Icons in media pool are blank (black) and the audio is a very loud hiss only. Camera is Panasonic CX-1500 shooting UHD 4K 2160 50P "HEVC LongGop 200M" Icon thumbnails show up in Windows 10 Explorer and Video plays in media player and VLC but with no audio at all. Of course everything plays video+audio in the camera and (dare I say it) in Magix. Any help appreciated. Update: I have just altered the file format to .Mp4 and shot a 7 second clip which plays perfectly. I can rescue the .Mov footage by converting it in the other Editing Program and re-importing it into PD. I would however be interested in why this happens. Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The simple answer is that the original format of your clips isn't supported by PD. As you've discovered, using a 3rd party app to convert existing clips and changing the recording settings for new clips are the solutions.

If you'd like ask CL to support the original clip format, you can request that from File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions. It would help to include a link to a sample clip on Google Drive or OneDrive so they can test it directly.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The simple answer is that the original format of your clips isn't supported by PD. As you've discovered, using a 3rd party app to convert existing clips and changing the recording settings for new clips are the solutions.

If you'd like ask CL to support the original clip format, you can request that from File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions. It would help to include a link to a sample clip on Google Drive or OneDrive so they can test it directly.

Many thanks for that - It's what I half suspected although it's a comfort to know there is no fault with either camera or PD. For me the solution is to use the .Mp4 setting - I'm sure the results are identical. Thanks again, your response is much appreciated! Philip.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The simple answer is that the original format of your clips isn't supported by PD. As you've discovered, using a 3rd party app to convert existing clips and changing the recording settings for new clips are the solutions.

PS. I emailed a .mov clip that wouldn't play in PD19 to a friend who has PD18. Yes, you've guessed, it NO PROBLEM and plays perfectly well with the older version of the program.

How annoying and frustrating is that?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2022 02:19

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't mention that the original format was MOV, and that's almost certainly not a PD version problem. Instead, your friend's computer is likely configured properly to work with Apple's Quicktime codec while yours likely isn't.

Please see this discussion for more details.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You didn't mention that the original format was MOV, and that's almost certainly not a PD version problem. Instead, your friend's computer is likely configured properly to work with Apple's Quicktime codec while yours likely isn't.

Please see this discussion for more details.

Whoops, yes, I missed out that the original footage was shot in .mov - how do I set up my PC to work with Quicktime? Thanks. Update: I managed to do a Quicktime update. >Mov files play in VLC now but still nothing in PD. Not to worry. I'm quite happy to shoot in .Mp4. Thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2022 03:54

philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]

My apologies. I failed to mentioned I was using the .mov container format (it was a late night when I posted). Seems my PC is not configured for Quicktime (although it is installed). I did an update. Now VLC will play.mov files but PD still cannot. Never mind. I'll just use .Mp4 from now on in camera.