Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Youtube Media Profile
Erwin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2009 02:18 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to configure Youtube Media Profiles HQ files for Power Director. I have read various posts and tutors that handles this specific subject. However I still cannot find a suitable configuration.

My target is to generate HQ (640x360) videos for youtube. If I compare the generation of Adobe Premiere Elements 8 video with PowerDirector 8 (both wmv), the quality of the output of Premiere is by far better then the output of Power Director. Because I like PowerDirector as tool (far) more then Adobe Premier I prefer to produce a video with same quality in PowerDirector. Output size is important (small as possible)

I tried to setup equal settings. Here are my Adobe Premiere Settings:
Codec: Windows Media Video 9
Encoding Phase: 2
Bitrate mode: Variable Unconstrained
Frame Width: 640
Frame Height: 360
Frame rate: 30
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Decoder complexity: Auto
Keyframe interval: 5
Buffer size: 1
Avarage Video Bitrate: 448 kbps
Audio: off

Now the Media Profile for PowerDirector:
Audio: off
Video: Bit rate VBR: Bit rate (tried also VBR Peak and Quality)
Video format: custom
Video Size: 640x360
Frame rate: 30
Key frame interval: 5
Video bitrate: 448 kbps
Decoder complexity: Auto

Does anyone have suggestions what to change to get equal quality?

Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Erwin -

The YouTube High Quality (640x480) profile doesn't get you what you want?

Under WMV, there's a profile many folks use for YouTube uploads... WMV 9 HD High Quality, with a bitrate of 8000kbps. That's the one I generally use.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your answer.

No, the size of the file is much bigger and the quality is less. When I want to upload HQ files, I am at a location with very limited bandwith, so I need files sizes as small as possible. For a five minute video, I produce a video of about 12~16 MB in both profiles that I posted in my start topic. The video of Adobe is sharp, but of PowerDirector rather blurry.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you join SeeMyWorld, there are profiles you can download.
Also, you'll find a tutorial on how to alter and make your own!.

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/218/creating-wmv-templates/ HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to produce a high-resolution output from PowerDirector first to preserve quality.

Then, use the full Windows Media Encoder that will do a two-pass, high quality encode to whatever final specs you want.

The full blown Windows Media Encoder is downloadable here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

During encoding, its looks like this. Lots of customizable options specific to WMV files:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2010 21:27

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If you join SeeMyWorld, there are profiles you can download.
Also, you'll find a tutorial on how to alter and make your own!.

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/218/creating-wmv-templates/

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response, but it already did that before my first post. The youtube profiles from SeeMyWorld still create files that are to large.

The creating WMV templates does not work for me with ordinairy WMV templates. They don't show up in PowerDirector, if I make some new names. I can only adjust existing proiles. However I can create new Youtube profiles. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here, but I really tried several times.

Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You may want to produce a high-resolution output from PowerDirector first to preserve quality.

Then, use the full Windows Media Encoder that will do a two-pass, high quality encode to whatever final specs you want.

This sounds like a good tip. I will try this. It will take a lot longer to create the files then with adobe, but if it does the trick, I'll be very happy. Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2010 03:03

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Erwin,

From memory there is a naming protocol that PD needs to properly display the new profiles in the correct locations.

PD acts smart sometimes and only presents a items in a menu/choice if they are available, so for example some 16:9 choices may not be available if the project is 4:3. In this case, choices for youtube will not appear if they are not named correctly.

Haven't done it for a while so someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe this will help. Two screen shots, one showing the Profile folder location with two additional YouTube Profiles, note naming conventions. Also when I open the profile, to create a NEW one I click on the EXPORT button, then rename following the naming conventions for YouTube profiles.

Second screen shot shows how the profiles appear in Power Director when YouTube profile appears
[Thumb - YouTube Profiles Power Director.JPG]
 Filename
YouTube Profiles Power Director.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
How they appear in Power Director
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
[Thumb - YouTube Profiles.jpg]
 Filename
YouTube Profiles.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
YouTube Profile Location
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2010 09:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Maybe this will help. Two screen shots, one showing the Profile folder location with two additional YouTube Profiles, note naming conventions.

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I really appriciate your help with this, but the Youtube (WMV) profiles already did go well (I can add new ones). But I cannot add new WMV profiles, only change the contents. I followed the exact instructions in the video that were shown here, including the exact name that was used in this instruction video.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Erwin,

In keeping with the forum's "WE NEVER GIVE UP" STYLE, here is a link to a tutorial that I created describing how-to create your WMV profiles and have them appear in Power Director. It's only 2:17 in length.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2RlzIt9EM

Hopefully it will offer you a different visual approach which might help you understand it better.

Good Luck!

Kevin
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

Yes! This did the trick for creating new WMV profiles and seeing them in PowerDirector. I have no clue what I did wrong before. I prefer this way to create Youtube files and can now experiment with the Youtube HQ settings offline.

Many thanks for your patience.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Erwin,

We Love good news here on the forum.....that's why I do it!! It is very satisfying to know that someone is making forward progress and learning something new.

And then, you can go about making your video masterpieces!!

Thank you for letting me know that the tutorial was helpful!!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2010 18:19

Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, now I'm able to generate the youtube videos more quickly, I go back to the orginal question: How to generate high quality youtube files compared to the quality generated by Adobe Premiere. Because both applications use the WMV engine of Microsoft, I would expect they could generate the same quality. What settings do I need for PowerDirector. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

I tried to make equal settings in both applications (I do not use inline images for readability).

The original video (25 seconds): 28 MB

Adobe Premiere Elements - One pass - 2582573 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Video info

Adobe Premiere Elements - Two pass (slightly better, my prefered quality and size) - 1546595 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Video info

PowerDirector - vbr 448 - 968510 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Settings
* Video info

PowerDirector - vbr 741 - 933310 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Settings
* Video info

PowerDirector - cbr 448 - 1853310 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Settings
* Video info

PowerDirector - cbr 741 - 3037310 bytes
* Generated video
* Settings
* Settings
* Video info

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2010 18:29

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Erwin -

OnTheWeb offered an alternative.
Kevin's been more than helpful.
Others have chipped in.
You like what you get out of Adobe.
You can't get PD to render a HQ video that's small enough (!!!)

It's easy - render it in Adobe Elements.

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll appreciate any help that I got very much, including the determination of Kevin in his help. His help did find a solution for one additional question that rose in the discussion of this topic, but the main question still stands. I have used the suggestions of Kevin to experiment the results of various settings to compare, so this was indead helpfull.

The solution of OnTheWeb might help, although I believe after some readings that a two pass encoding is mostly used as an optimization process. I think this cannot be exactly the same as just running the video through two programs. But I will experiment with this further to get a close result.

Like I told before, I like PowerDirector as video editting tool more then Premiere Elements, only the quality and size of the encoded video are in some cases better in Elements. Because both PowerDirector and Premiere use the same WMV encoder. I think PowerDirector could somehow be configured to get the same result.

Because of a time and cost (license) reason, I would prefer to generate files in one application. One might have experience with this and want to exchange this information. That's what a forum is about. Therefore I don't understand your last conclusion. It is really off-topic.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Erwin,
Provide me with the template you like in Adobe's wmv render and I'll make it identical for use in PD. It's not a big deal for me - and will take me about 2 minutes to recreate.
I've PM'd you an email address to send it to - it's the prx file I want.
Dafydd
[Moderator]
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Because both PowerDirector and Premiere use the same WMV encoder.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that idea. Cyberlink does a lot of their own CODEC stuff, and may be part of the difference you are seeing.

That's why I suggested dumping a high quality render into Microsoft's own WMV encoder since we know that one is standard and consistent. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
They all use the same MS encoder for the wmv task. The difference is in the selections made to create the prx template. This is the reason why I asked to see the spec. It really isn't hard to mimic a template, slightly more confidence is needed to ensure an increase in spec doesn't balloon a rendered file.

I have provided the opportunity to Erwin, I hope he takes me up on it and sends me the prx. I'll make the file available for others asap after I get the data.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Erwin [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Dafydd,

Thanks for your offer to help with this, but I cannot find the prx. I did a find on my computer during the encoding for maybe a temporarly one, but there does not seem to exist a .prx file with my settings. That's why I posted a screendump with the settings in a previous post:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2010 11:53