Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CPU or Graphics card for video editing (might be stupid question)
MrPadded [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 02:42 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Buying new laptop. I don't play video games so want to know if there's any benefit to a powerful graphics card, or is cpu the most important? Looking at Ryzen 7.

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There may be a desired benefit to having a nvidia graphics card like the gtx 2060 or 3060 minimum as video and audio denoise tools, fx tools can utilize them to speed up processing and rendering.

The Ryzen 7 cpu can have integrated graphics that can speed up some of the fx tools and in rendering but not have the other speedup features requiring a nvidia gpu.

Many users claim a 3 to 8x reduction in production time with a nvidia gpu. Look for a laptop with the desired Ryzen cpu but with a high end nvidia gpu.
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2019 20:56 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There may be a desired benefit to having a nvidia graphics card like the gtx 2060 or 3060 minimum as video and audio denoise tools, fx tools can utilize them to speed up processing and rendering.

The Ryzen 7 cpu can have integrated graphics that can speed up some of the fx tools and in rendering but not have the other speedup features requiring a nvidia gpu.

Many users claim a 3 to 8x reduction in production time with a nvidia gpu. Look for a laptop with the desired Ryzen cpu but with a high end nvidia gpu.

Interesting! I have recently started looking at a whole new stand alone system since GPUs are starting to come back down finally. I will concentrate most of my "extra" money for the CPU since I would prefer to have more flexibility in real time editing vs reduce the time it takes to produce. So in a perfect world you suggest the best Ryzen CPU I can afford along with an Nvidia GPU? Appreciate your help!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So in a perfect world you suggest the best Ryzen CPU I can afford along with an Nvidia GPU? Appreciate your help!

Yes

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°