Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ease In / Out
wmike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2019 09:11 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Learning Power Director 365 for Mac.

Some things seem not to work like the Windows version, in fact, some not at all.

I am working my way through the help manual.

Ease in/out is another thing that does not seem to be working. It is greyed out in the keyframe settings - doesn't matter if it's a video clip or an image.

Any suggestions on how this should be used. The manual suggests reducing jerkiness in a transition. Would be good if I could actually see this working.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Learning Power Director 365 for Mac.

Some things seem not to work like the Windows version, in fact, some not at all.

Ease in/out is another thing that does not seem to be working. It is greyed out in the keyframe settings - doesn't matter if it's a video clip or an image.

Any suggestions on how this should be used. The manual suggests reducing jerkiness in a transition. Would be good if I could actually see this working.

One would think since it's in the MAC menu, it would be functional. Did you define some keyframes at various times with like say position change so you have something to ease in or out of?

Jeff
wmike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Learning Power Director 365 for Mac.

This is driving me crazy.

So, I am in the PIP editor -I add a keyframe (frame one) and set scale. I advance a few more frames and increase the scale of the image. As you advance the timeline - the image size increases - but it does it on the central axis, meaning the position of the image moves also. Hopeless. I can see no way to stop it from doing this.

Actually, the only way I can stop the image from moving its position is to disable any easing - that stops the image from moving when scaled - it, of course, is now jerky - something that easing is meant to stop. What the hell....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2022 14:02

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is driving me crazy.

So, I am in the PIP editor -I add a keyframe (frame one) and set scale. I advance a few more frames and increase the scale of the image. As you advance the timeline - the image size increases - but it does it on the central axis, meaning the position of the image moves also. Hopeless. I can see no way to stop it from doing this.

Actually, the only way I can stop the image from moving its position is to disable any easing - that stops the image from moving when scaled - it, of course, is now jerky - something that easing is meant to stop. What the hell....

Not sure I understand from your description, however, it appears ease in/out is now selectable and no longer grey, which was original question.

Basically, in the attached pic I have 2 keyframes for scale. Video starts at scale 1 at first keyframe, at second keyframe scale is 0.5. For this second keyframe I "Ease in". The scale will transition from keyframe 1 scale of 1 to keyframe 2, scale of .5 and ease in, and then stay at scale of .5 as I've not applied another keyframe to do anything different.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD20_EaseIn.PNG]
 Filename
PD20_EaseIn.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
wmike [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not sure I understand from your description, however, it appears ease in/out is now selectable and no longer grey, which was original question.

Basically, in the attached pic I have 2 keyframes for scale. Video starts at scale 1 at first keyframe, at second keyframe scale is 0.5. For this second keyframe I "Ease in". The scale will transition from keyframe 1 scale of 1 to keyframe 2, scale of .5 and ease in, and then stay at scale of .5 as I've not applied another keyframe to do anything different.

Jeff

Thanks for that. Yes - I have the same setup. Without easing the image scales fine. With easing - the image scales and moves its location as well - not what is needed. So, I seem to have the options of using easing and having elements move where I don't want them, or not using easy and having jerky footage.
wmike [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for that. Yes - I have the same setup. Without easing the image scales fine. With easing - the image scales and moves its location as well - not what is needed. So, I seem to have the options of using easing and having elements move where I don't want them, or not using easy and having jerky footage.

OK - I've got this. The easing works but, you have to set it to its lowest setting, ie - 0.1. The scaling is then smooth and the image stays in place.

Thanks for your help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK - I've got this. The easing works but, you have to set it to its lowest setting, ie - 0.1. The scaling is then smooth and the image stays in place.

Thanks for your help.

Does not sound proper, maybe this CL demo will help, https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software/200/add-dynamic-motion-to-objects-using-the-keyframe-tool or perhaps a bug in the MAC version.

Jeff
wmike [Avatar]
[Post New]

Does not sound proper, maybe this CL demo will help, https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software/200/add-dynamic-motion-to-objects-using-the-keyframe-tool or perhaps a bug in the MAC version.

Jeff

I've recorded a short video showing the issue. I suspect this is a bug (love it when buyers get to purchase flakey software).

When easing is set to anything above 0.01 - the image moves, instead of just increasing in scale. With easing set to 0.01 the image scales without moving about.

Go figure
 Filename
easing.mov
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16312 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
64 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've recorded a short video showing the issue. I suspect this is a bug (love it when buyers get to purchase flakey software).

When easing is set to anything above 0.01 - the image moves, instead of just increasing in scale. With easing set to 0.01 the image scales without moving about.

Go figure

I'm not sure what I'm seeing is a bug. Ease in/out changes the rate (acceleration), it's no longer a linear change, so when you change rate of scale and rate of position independently, I think you're going to get a image shift.

Try setting the ease out of scale at second keyframe, 1;11 timecode, to 0.20 to match position ease out. Additionally, your starting position and scale at keyframe 1 does not match your final position and scale at keyframe 3 but this shouldn't cause a image shift, image just ends in a different position. So a shift as well so to speak.

Jeff
wmike [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm not sure what I'm seeing is a bug. Ease in/out changes the rate (acceleration), it's no longer a linear change, so when you change rate of scale and rate of position independently, I think you're going to get a image shift.

Try setting the ease out of scale at second keyframe, 1;11 timecode, to 0.20 to match position ease out. Additionally, your starting position and scale at keyframe 1 does not match your final position and scale at keyframe 3 but this shouldn't cause a image shift, image just ends in a different position. So a shift as well so to speak.

Jeff

I added a keyframe a few frames in and adjust the image location - it now seems to flow smoothly and remains in the same place. Vagaries of the MacOS maybe.

Thanks for your help.