Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BR disk H264 menu navigation problem?
AlainRay4492
Newbie Location: France Joined: Jun 02, 2014 03:10 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I produce clips created with PWD19 as MP4 files.
Up to now I was assembling these clips to produce BR disk using MP2 format.

For the first time I have produced my BR disk using H264 (to save space). When I read the disk on my TV, I can read the BR sequentially fine but the menu navigation bugs: the chapter selection works and goes to the right position on the film but the reading does not start and everything freezes. Same with the commands "next chapter" or fast read ...
I could conclude that the H264 format is only partly compatible with my reader. But ...

I have tried reading the hard disk file copy (BDMV and certificate) using Powerdvd21. Same result. Readind freezes when jumping to a chapter. So far Powerdvd was working perfectly with BDMV files produced as MP2.

I have checked that I can play the menu of this film on PWD fine ! For information, I have used the option 1 (start with menu and reads in sequence) on the menu parameters.

Is there a known issue related to H264 ? Do you have any experience of such a problem ?

Thanks for your hep
Regards
Alain

I have done further testing with other samples in H264. I came to the conclusion that the problem could come from the chapter marker placed right between clips. Rather strange because I newer had the problem with MP2. However I have added a little space filled with an vidéo effect between clips at chapter start and now menu navigation works now fine. I am still eager to get some comment about the issue.

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 26. 2021 07:56

thanks and best regards
Alain
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

I produce clips created with PWD19 as MP4 files.
Up to now I was assembling these clips to produce BR disk using MP2 format.

For the first time I have produced my BR disk using H264 (to save space). When I read the disk on my TV, I can read the BR sequentially fine but the menu navigation bugs: the chapter selection works and goes to the right position on the film but the reading does not start and everything freezes. Same with the commands "next chapter" or fast read ...
I could conclude that the H264 format is only partly compatible with my reader. But ...

I have tried reading the hard disk file copy (BDMV and certificate) using Powerdvd21. Same result. Readind freezes when jumping to a chapter. So far Powerdvd was working perfectly with BDMV files produced as MP2.

I have checked that I can play the menu of this film on PWD fine ! For information, I have used the option 1 (start with menu and reads in sequence) on the menu parameters.

Is there a known issue related to H264 ? Do you have any experience of such a problem ?

Thanks for your hep
Regards
Alain

I have done further testing with other samples in H264. I came to the conclusion that the problem could come from the chapter marker placed right between clips. Rather strange because I newer had the problem with MP2. However I have added a little space filled with an vidéo effect between clips at chapter start and now menu navigation works now fine. I am still eager to get some comment about the issue.

Thanks

Your post about the chapter markers is interesting as no one has reported this on the forum before. 10 years ago, I found that you have to move 3 frames forward with interlaced avchd in order not to get a previous clip thumbnail showing on the chapters menu in PD9. Pinnacle had the same problem but only setting 1 frame forward is enough. That is because it is possible the last field of the previous clip can be used in the thumbnail. Never reported it to Cyberlink or Pinnacle as Tech Support did not escalate my reported issues in the past. I end up just like you do to find workarounds for all issues and to maybe help others on the forums.

It has been about 6 years since that I use progressive videos and create 1080/60p h.264 (progressive) videos on BD and have no problems with setting the chapter thumbnails on the first frame like you would with interlaced video. There is the function to create a chapter at the beginning of each clip that tests show it to work properly with proressive source videos. I did use AMD gpu’s at that time and that may or may not be the issue. Please read this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page . You can attach a DxDiag.txt of your pc on your next reply for others to look at and maybe spot a problem.

You do not have to produce your videos first. If possible just edit and go to the Create Disc function to save time.

You may want to supply this same information to Cyberlink Support and see what they say or have a solution.
AlainRay4492
Newbie Location: France Joined: Jun 02, 2014 03:10 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc for your input.

I have indeed opened a ticket with the support.

From my tests I can now assess that the format H264 is not at stake, but just the specific position of the chapter marker in some instances. I even tried without fillers between chapters, but simply moving the marker a few frame and it works...

To answer your comment about my way to produce intermediate clips, here is the reason.
I produce BR films ( 2 to 3 hours each - compression works fine with photos) about my family chronicles ...
I use a data bank of circa 40000 photo and 800 clips (50 years of history) . In fact my films are tailored diaporamas with associated text and musics.
Because of the lenght of the time line and the numbers of elements ( 90 % are photos) a 3 hours films can contain up to 1500 photos and 100 texts comments. I feel safer splitting each film into several projects produced individually as MP4. A final project assembles them. It is not much longer since the final production based on the MP4 files is very fast.

Again thanks for your reply. If and when I get info from the support I will publlish them. thanks and best regards
Alain
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I keep a pretty extensive list of workarounds built over many many years of dealing with "Create Disc" anomalies/limitations in PD. I share a few minor specifics on the forum periodically as users struggle. I learned my lesson at PD14 when several of us tried to get CL to address the Nvidia hardware encoding issues, end result, CL, through forum PDM, said they would address but it will take time. However, the end result to this day, 6 yrs, 6 versions latter, they simply removed Nvidia hardware encoding option for some "Create Disc" functions. Hardly a solution, and a huge setback for many of us that could make it work for our needs and significantly reduce BR H.264 creation times. For several years I was trying to do nightly turnarounds for that days recorded events for an organization and hardware encoding was extremely beneficial to me.

PD really needs an extensive overhaul of the "Create Disc" module with significant focus on cleaning up many bugs and anomalies for it to be state of the art. However, with much user editing going to YouTube type deployment, I doubt any action will be forthcoming. Good luck with your support inquiry, I'm sure you'll get a proper solution.

Jeff