Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Confusing Hot Keys
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
What is the difference between cut and delete? I don't see a difference between the Hot keys CTRL+X vs DELETE, Shift+X vs Shift+Delete, CTRL+Alt+X vs CTRL+Delete, Alt+X vs Alt+Delete. This is very confusing.
What I miss instead are Hot keys like [ and ] to split at cursor and delete the part in front or after the split in one stroke, ofcourse with possibilities to leave or close gaps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 07:39

Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What is the difference between cut and delete? I don't see a difference between the Hot keys CTRL+X vs DELETE, Shift+X vs Shift+Delete, CTRL+Alt+X vs CTRL+Delete, Alt+X vs Alt+Delete. This is very confusing.
What I miss instead are Hot keys like [ and ] to split at cursor and delete the part in front or after the split in one stroke, ofcourse with possibilities to leave or close gaps.

"Cut" leaves the cut piece in the clipboard buffer so you can paste in the timeline, basically, cut from here, paste over here use
"Delete" performs the same action as "Cut" but does not leave the piece in the clipboard buffer.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 07:56

3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

"Cut" leaves the cut piece in the clipboard buffer so you can paste in the timeline, basically, cut from here, paste over here use
"Delete" performs the same action as "Cut" but does not leave the piece in the clipboard buffer.

Jeff

Thanks for the quick answer Jl_JL. Still a little confusing, why should I cut/paste a clip (with those difficult to remember shortcut combinations) when just dragging the clip with the mouse to a new location does the same. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the quick answer Jl_JL. Still a little confusing, why should I cut/paste a clip (with those difficult to remember shortcut combinations) when just dragging the clip with the mouse to a new location does the same.

You don't have to use them. You can drag the clip to the new location, and then go back to the void space and decide how to delete and adjust the timeline. The hotkey cut action just saved going back to the void. I find it handy when working on longer duration timelines and zoomed in that I don't have to go back to the gap and clean it up.

Jeff
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

You don't have to use them. You can drag the clip to the new location, and then go back to the void space and decide how to delete and adjust the timeline. The hotkey cut action just saved going back to the void. I find it handy when working on longer duration timelines and zoomed in that I don't have to go back to the gap and clean it up.

Jeff

Reordering clips probably goes best in Stoyboard mode instead of the Timeline mode. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Reordering clips probably goes best in Stoyboard mode instead of the Timeline mode.

It's very hard to edit 5 video tracks in Storyboard mode.

Jeff
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

It's very hard to edit 5 video tracks in Storyboard mode.

Jeff

That's true, but ordering clips is something you normally do at the start of the editing process and not at the end. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's true, but ordering clips is something you normally do at the start of the editing process and not at the end.

Your comment of using storyboard mode only gives you access to clips in track 1. So as mentioned prior, it has no function for 5 video track editing to order clips on any of these tracks either at the start of editing or as my project matures.

Continue to move clips with the mouse, absolutely nothing in the software preventing that editing approach that works for you.

When the project is more of time chronology, yes, rather easy to get overall order close up front. When one is building a viewing from multiple clips that has no time chronology aspect, it can be difficult to guess up front. For college sport recruiting projects I often find I move things around substantially as you try to highlight capability and one often has multiple clips being supplied periodically and time chronology means nothing here.

If you want the editing key defined approach you describe, one needs to use PDSPeed or program your own AHK for such tasks.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 10:29