Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 20 / Produce Range not working
RoDant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2021 15:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The Produce Range does not appear to be working. I select a range from a clip, hit "Produce Range" and the Produce File screen appears BUT the entire length of the timeline appears. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks in adavance.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, you aren't kidding. It's like the Produce Range button is treated as if the main Produce button was clicked instead

I was going to suggest that the desired timeline content can be copied and placed on a new timeline (File | New Workspace) and then produced, but after playing around a little I found a slightly easier workaround.

Take note of the starting time and the duration of the selection you want to produce, then when you click on Produce Range (or even the main Produce button) you'll be able to set the actual produce markers in the Produce room. Here's what I mean:

Once you've dragged the starting & ending markers on the Produce page, click on Start and PD will produce the selected range.

Note that it may be very difficult to precisely set the desired start/end frame positions, so you should start a little earlier and finish a little later so the produced clip can be trimmed to the desired length once it's back on PD's timeline.

This is a clear bug, and I've just reported it to CL on ticket CS002406264.

I think the produce markers are a nice idea, but they need to work in addition to Select Range/Range Produce, and not instead of that long-time feature.

There's also a new change regarding the preview option when producing. Previously, only SVRT wasn't allowed if the preview option was checked, but now hardware encoding will not be allowed either. Maybe that solves some issues that had come up in the past, but it's a big step backward in my opinion.
[Thumb - steps.png]
 Filename
steps.png
[Disk]
 Description
Full size screenshot
 Filesize
887 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
16 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2021 21:53

RoDant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2021 15:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much.
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Nice workaround, appreciate the screenshots as well!
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dissapointed they missed this bug before release. It's really a PIA when you have a long video
KenCyberlink99 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: So. Calif Joined: May 06, 2013 20:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
PD 20 - 365 update 09/08/2021
"Producing Selected Range on Timeline" is certainly broken. Perhaps the pgmer only worked on produce range in Window.
Work-arounds get you the desired result but are certainly not optimal. Hope that CL provide a patch rapidly as well as improve testing and validation of function. Ken
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sure they will have a patch shortly. They're pretty responsive on issues like this.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've heard back from CL tech support and they said that the issue was identified and will be fixed in the next PD365 release, which is coming out "at the beginning of October."

Thanks to RoDant for posting about the issue đź‘Ť
zurvas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2017 22:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I discovered the workaround after spending 2 days uninstalling PD then resintalling (after cyberlink told me it was at MY END, and that PD worked fine for them). I was angry to have spent so much time, and that they told me the wrong thing. Their support is rubbish.

Also, they keep shifting features around so you have to go hunting for them!

Quote Wow, you aren't kidding. It's like the Produce Range button is treated as if the main Produce button was clicked instead

I was going to suggest that the desired timeline content can be copied and placed on a new timeline (File | New Workspace) and then produced, but after playing around a little I found a slightly easier workaround.

Take note of the starting time and the duration of the selection you want to produce, then when you click on Produce Range (or even the main Produce button) you'll be able to set the actual produce markers in the Produce room. Here's what I mean:

Once you've dragged the starting & ending markers on the Produce page, click on Start and PD will produce the selected range.

Note that it may be very difficult to precisely set the desired start/end frame positions, so you should start a little earlier and finish a little later so the produced clip can be trimmed to the desired length once it's back on PD's timeline.

This is a clear bug, and I've just reported it to CL on ticket CS002406264.

I think the produce markers are a nice idea, but they need to work in addition to Select Range/Range Produce, and not instead of that long-time feature.

There's also a new change regarding the preview option when producing. Previously, only SVRT wasn't allowed if the preview option was checked, but now hardware encoding will not be allowed either. Maybe that solves some issues that had come up in the past, but it's a big step backward in my opinion.
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I am hoping that isn't ONLY for 365 users. Lifetime license here, and would love to have that feature back in it's more precise form.

Quote I've heard back from CL tech support and they said that the issue was identified and will be fixed in the next PD365 release, which is coming out "at the beginning of October."

Thanks to RoDant for posting about the issue đź‘Ť
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I am hoping that isn't ONLY for 365 users. Lifetime license here, and would love to have that feature back in it's more precise form.

I hope so too. I don't know why I specifically stated "PD365" part in my last response, because here's what they actually said "Our engineering team has fixed this issue and an updated version of PowerDirector is going to be released at the beginning of October."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2021 11:40

optodata
[Post New]
Good news! I can confirm that the Produce Range feature works as expected in the October PD365 release (20.0.2204.0). You can even use the new Produce page markers to produce a section of the range that was selected on the timeline, so nested produce ranges are allowed.

The only odd thing was the first time I opened the new PD after the update, it was incredibly slow and it hung for nearly a minute after doing such things as setting the range selection markers, opening the Produce page after clicking on the Produce Range button, and even after clicking on Start, despite the content being 3 seconds of a keyframed photo.

Task Manager showed one or more PD components not responding during each of these hangs, and what was more unusual was that my actions were delayed systemwide. While the mouse cursor moved normally, clicking on other programs took several seconds for the actions to occur. The CPU load for PD's processes was around 43% during the hangs.

I closed PD and started over using ScreenRecorder to document what I was seeing, and fortunately everything started working normally. I have no idea if what I experienced is typical, but if the first launch of PD gives terrible performance, see if closing then relaunching the app makes a difference.

By the way I hadn't installed a new video driver and hadn't been prompted to optimize the GPU. I also wan't using shadow files or any other feature that might have required PD to do a lot of processing to produce a selected range. I don't know what was happening but I'm very glad it seems to have been a one-time issue.
AndrewPayce [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2021 01:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having trouble with this feature. I can only produce a whole video even when I only have a certain part highlighted.

I am using power director version 20.0.2106.0 64 bit in windows 10.

New user but coming from other editing software. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Suggest that you update to the newest version, in which the range production works. Use either the Cyberlink Application Manager or the update button in PD (if you are a perpetual license).
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote or the update button in PD (if you are a perpetual license).

At this time there are no updates for the perpetual version and as such the issue has not been corrected since initial release for those purchasers.

Jeff