Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NewBlue Video Essentials - Flash Remover now wants Activation
TinkerDog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2016 21:48 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Today I fired up the new 365 update (from 09/16/2021) and the NewBlue Video Essentials Flash Remover shows a Watermark on the videos.

Checking in the Effect tab, I see an Activation button now highlighted. Clicking on it brings up a form to fill out to activate the app.

I did not know it was a Trial Version ??? !!!!!. I thought it was a scaled back version of the app and I never had to activate it before.

What is going on???? Any help or ideas ??!!!
[Thumb - NewBlue.jpg]
 Filename
NewBlue.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
64 time(s)
bjtap1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 19, 2010 21:36 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Confirmed and it appears to be all NewBlue Video Essentials.
Further checks: This appears to be on:

'NewBlue Essentials, Paint Effects,Stylelizers
Boris: Film Style, Image Restoration, Lights

To confirm I am using PowerDirector 365.
Barryt

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2021 14:33

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
On my main desktop, I have 18 packs installed, and only NBFX Paint Effect, Video Essentials and Video Essentials VII are affected:

I had a different selection deactivated on my Surface Book 3: The same 3 from above as well as NBFX Essential Effect 5 and all (separately-purchased) Pixelan packs. Neither machine had any problems with any Boris FX packs.

Unfortunately this is looking like an issue where only the packs included with the new version of PD365 are staying activated and any older packs are deactivated. Please see this post for the details, and the only way to recover the functionality mentioned in the reply from CL tech support is to uninstall PD365 (and any older PD versions still installed) then reboot, install the older PD version then install PD365.

I'm trying that now and will report back if it works or not in this situation. By all means, make a system backup image before making any significant changes to your system! That also goes for protecting against any unknown side effects of a new product launch...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2021 17:55

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well I ran through all the steps above and that didn't solve the issue.

If you've ever purchased any NewBlueFX packs, the easiest thing to do is to log in to your account there and deactivate each of the problematic packs. As long as you you used the same email for CL and NBFX, all CL-provided packs should be visible and each pack will be properly relicensed as soon as you open PD afterwards.

No uninstalling is needed, but this requires that you've previously purchased packs from NBFX. If not, I think the only way forward is to open a support tickect with directly CL. You can start that process here.

So far the only remaining issue on my end is that I don't see the Paint effects pack in my NBFX account and it didn't come back after reinstalling PD14 or PD365. I may have to restore my system from a backup image and do the whole PD365 update again or wait for tech support to supply a fresh copy (assuming that's an option).
TinkerDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well I ran through all the steps above and that didn't solve the issue.

If you've ever purchased any NewBlueFX packs, the easiest thing to do is to log in to your account there and deactivate each of the problematic packs. As long as you you used the same email for CL and NBFX, all CL-provided packs should be visible and each pack will be properly relicensed as soon as you open PD afterwards.

No uninstalling is needed, but this requires that you've previously purchased packs from NBFX. If not, I think the only way forward is to open a support tickect with directly CL. You can start that process here.

So far the only remaining issue on my end is that I don't see the Paint effects pack in my NBFX account and it didn't come back after reinstalling PD14 or PD365. I may have to restore my system from a backup image and do the whole PD365 update again or wait for tech support to supply a fresh copy (assuming that's an option).

Thanks.... I just submitted a support ticket to CL.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks.... I just submitted a support ticket to CL.

Great! please post back when they respond, and note that you'll need to manually check the My Status | My Support Ticket page to see when someone has replied.

Another part of the issue is that the Activation button is actually disabled, so even if you happen to have a valid license you can't activate it. This seem to be something that only CL and/or NewBlue can address and I'm not sure what can be done if CL no longer licenses these packs
TinkerDog [Avatar]
[Post New]

Great! please post back when they respond, and note that you'll need to manually check the My Status | My Support Ticket page to see when someone has replied.

Another part of the issue is that the Activation button is actually disabled, so even if you happen to have a valid license you can't activate it. This seem to be something that only CL and/or NewBlue can address and I'm not sure what can be done if CL no longer licenses these packs

HERE IS CL'S REPLY.....

"
Dear Tommy,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand that your NewBlue plug-in effects have a watermark in your PowerDirector 19 subscription software. We are more than willing to assist you.

With reference to your query, we would like to inform you that, due to the expiration of the contract with NewBlue, unfortunately, we have decided to remove NewBlue plugin in new versions of PowerDirector (PowerDirector 20/365).

However, NewBlue plugins that were purchased from the NewBlue store will still work in PowerDirector 20/365 and NewBlue Bundled plugins installed from PowerDirector 19 and below versions will have a watermark.

For PowerDirector 365 subscribers that have a previous version installed, you can continue using the bundled NewBlue plugins until your subscription expires by not applying the new version update released in 2021 September.

For more questions about the NewBlue plugins, please contact CyberLink customer service for further assistance:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
Vince
CyberLink Technical Support"

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with this outcome. At LEAST they could have told us BEFORE installing the update..... I use these App's daily, now I'm going to have to buy to continue using them.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the update. While I'm glad that tech support responded quickly, the result is fairly breathtaking:

If you want to continue to use the FX that have been included in previous PD versions for many years, you must now either buy them outright from NewBlueFX (at ~US$50/pack) OR continue to pay the 365 subscription fee in perpetuity but go back to the Aug 2021 version and never upgrade to a newer version.

All without any clear warning that clicking on the Upgrade option in the CAM would lead to the loss of of so much previously-licensed functionality

I doubt that many people made a full system backup before upgrading (which would allow a quick restore of the PD19-based version), so anyone who now wants to roll back will need to contact customer service and request the appropriate installer.

Looks like some hard decisions are ahead for many people

I'm also going to assume that PD20 will lose that functionality as well, although people with the current PD19 lifetime license can at least decide if they want to pay to upgrade or not.
Nicolette2020 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2020 02:07 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am very upset about this. I use the New Blue filters over any others and I too would not have pressed the 'free upgrade' button if we were prewarned. Not impressed at all. I am wondering if it's still available with the android version as I film my vids from phone and then upload to laptop where I have PD. Might be cheaper than buying the pack separately.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am wondering if it's still available with the android version as I film my vids from phone and then upload to laptop where I have PD.

NewBlue FX plugins were never available for the Android version.
[Post New]
Quote Today I fired up the new 365 update (from 09/16/2021) and the NewBlue Video Essentials Flash Remover shows a Watermark on the videos.

Checking in the Effect tab, I see an Activation button now highlighted. Clicking on it brings up a form to fill out to activate the app.

I did not know it was a Trial Version ??? !!!!!. I thought it was a scaled back version of the app and I never had to activate it before.

What is going on???? Any help or ideas ??!!!

I don't have any newblue at all
[Thumb - Screenshot (1).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (1).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1357 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
If you don't have any older lifetime licensed versions installed on your system, you won't have any NBFX at all.

If you have an older version, like PD17, you can install it and get all the NBFX content that came with that product. You may need to uninstall PD20 then install and run the older version to make sure the NBFX licenses are activated, then reinstall PD20.
[Post New]
Quote If you don't have any older lifetime licensed versions installed on your system, you won't have any NBFX at all.

If you have an older version, like PD17, you can install it and get all the NBFX content that came with that product. You may need to uninstall PD20 then install and run the older version to make sure the NBFX licenses are activated, then reinstall PD20.

Whose decision was it to get rid of them?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whose decision was it to get rid of them?

This FAQ may help: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26469 . You still have the ProDad in your screenshot.
optodata
[Post New]
tomasc answered the question

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2021 00:08

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you want to continue to use the FX that have been included in previous PD versions for many years, you must now either buy them outright from NewBlueFX (at ~US$50/pack) OR ....

I can confirm that all the NewBlueFX plugins I purchased are still working with PowerDirector 20/365. The one that I had for free has a watermark.