Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing Spotify audio to Slideshow
Technik21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2020 11:46 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I have a Powerdirector 365 subscription, and am currently working on a slideshow for an upcoming wedding.

I just need to know if this subscription allows me to convert audio tracks to MP3 or a format to import in to my slideshow?

Specificaly music tracks from my Spotify premium subscription.

I'm not sure if this is possible, or do I need to purchase an audio convertor package?

Has anyone had experience importing Spotify tracks to Powerdirector slideshows?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure you can't use Spotify content for anything other than for personal listening, which is stated in the subscription agreement terms.

All tracks are encoded with DRM and the only way to play them outside the app is to break the encryption. There are sketchy companies & apps that do that "for personal backup," but you'd clearly be violating Spotify's terms by using their content in a slideshow or video.

No matter how or where you get your actual music, as long as the tracks are able to be played in a basic media player like VLC or Windows Media Player you can use them in PD.
Technik21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2020 11:46 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm pretty sure you can't use Spotify content for anything other than for personal listening, which is stated in the subscription agreement terms.

All tracks are encoded with DRM and the only way to play them outside the app is to break the encryption. There are sketchy companies & apps that do that "for personal backup," but you'd clearly be violating Spotify's terms by using their content in a slideshow or video.

No matter how or where you get your actual music, as long as the tracks are able to be played in a basic media player like VLC or Windows Media Player you can use them in PD.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

That would makes sense actually. They wouldn't allow copying.

I guess I can purchase any specific tracks via the likes of iTunes or Amazon Music etc.. , and then import from there.

Thanks again for your help.

laughing
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
In the past I've done exactly that, created a slideshow in PD Slideshow, but without a soundtrack, then in PD 19 added a soundtrack (MP3 files from your own collection or purchased from the Net) to the video track. Then produced the final slideshow as an MP4. At which point you have a slideshow video file which you can distribute or play, in my case I generally (or used to) export to YouTube so that widely distributed members of my family can view (normally at Christmas). The big issue with this is that commercial music tracks are copyright and you can't just use them as YouTube won't let you.

Last year I ended up buying a cheap no royalty track off the net, not ideal for what I wanted it didn't convey the energy and emotion I wanted to capture but it allowed me to put my slideshow on YouTube. I'm not sure if any of the tracks available in 365 are useable but as I don't have 365 I'll never know.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day prevaljo -

If you haven't checked out this thread (& its predecessors), take a look.

The thread test all the background music tracks on YouTube for copyright claims, including limited numbers of the Shutterstock music available in PDR 365.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]

I guess I can purchase any specific tracks via the likes of iTunes or Amazon Music etc.. , and then import from there.

That purchase would be actually only of the right to use those tracks for personal listening, not for any commercial use.
You never "own" the music you are buying, unless you buy the actual catalog rights to it. Same with the software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2021 10:23

prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
Quote G'day prevaljo -

If you haven't checked out this thread (& its predecessors), take a look.

The thread test all the background music tracks on YouTube for copyright claims, including limited numbers of the Shutterstock music available in PDR 365.

Cheers - Tony

Hi @YnotFish, My comment about 365 was meant to convey the suitability of the 365 music tracks to convey the emotional intent of the video rather than a comment about the legality or otherwise of the tracks. I have followed the various threads here about YouTube blocking and unblocking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2021 16:41