Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't play DVD burned with PowerDirector 365 on some players
greenie44 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2016 14:26 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

I burned a DVD that I created with PowerDirector 365, using a 2D option and a standard DVD+R DL blank. The burned disk plays on some DVD players but not others. Any suggestions on how to address this? The DVD plays OK on an older player that does not do BlueRay.

Thanks in advance.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi -

I burned a DVD that I created with PowerDirector 365, using a 2D option and a standard DVD+R DL blank. The burned disk plays on some DVD players but not others. Any suggestions on how to address this? The DVD plays OK on an older player that does not do BlueRay.

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the manual of the non-working player to see what media it supports? Often https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers can be helpful too for seeing experience on a particular player.

Jeff
greenie44 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Have you checked the manual of the non-working player to see what media it supports? Often https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers can be helpful too for seeing experience on a particular player.

Jeff

Thanks fellow Arizonan! I'll do that and see. I guess if I burned it in 3D, it would not work on older players that do not support BluRay, right?

Thanks again.
[Post New]
Hi Greenie44,

The fact that a player doesn't like a 'Writable' disc is nothing new.
I've owned cd players that wouldn't play a written cd - (Often very expensive cd players !)
I've owned a dvd player that wouldn't play a recorded dvd, (But this one would play SACD's, not that I had any to play !)

It seems that you should check the manual of the player that won't play as JL_JL suggests,
you may find it doesn't play nicely with any 'Writable' discs, there's nothing special about them being produced from PD.
(Some may even differentiate between DVD -R and DVD -RW etc )

Honestly, I've found the more upmarket the player, the more likely it is to fail with writable media !
Though I concede this is largely anecdotal and from personal experience.

Gerry
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Here DVD DL works perfectly on PC and Bluray Player, but “DVD Player” will need luck, at least here in my country.
That's why I've always used 4.7GB DVD with quality loss for videos with more than 1:30 hs.
I currently use DVD DL only to write data.
Anyway this media is being replaced by pen-drives which at first also gave a problem, TV that only accepts the (default) FAT 32 with its limitation for files smaller than 4Gb.
Good thing newer tv’s accept (default) NTSF and it got resolved. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
greenie44 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Greenie44,

The fact that a player doesn't like a 'Writable' disc is nothing new.
I've owned cd players that wouldn't play a written cd - (Often very expensive cd players !)
I've owned a dvd player that wouldn't play a recorded dvd, (But this one would play SACD's, not that I had any to play !)

It seems that you should check the manual of the player that won't play as JL_JL suggests,
you may find it doesn't play nicely with any 'Writable' discs, there's nothing special about them being produced from PD.
(Some may even differentiate between DVD -R and DVD -RW etc )

Honestly, I've found the more upmarket the player, the more likely it is to fail with writable media !
Though I concede this is largely anecdotal and from personal experience.

Gerry

Thanks to all who answered. Although it seems like the issue has too many variables to be completely 'solved' (if I send the DVD out to friends, it may or may not play properly on their players), at least I now know there is nothing wrong with what I am doing. Thanks to all!
[Post New]

Thanks to all who answered. Although it seems like the issue has too many variables to be completely 'solved' (if I send the DVD out to friends, it may or may not play properly on their players), at least I now know there is nothing wrong with what I am doing. Thanks to all!

Instead of sending a 'DVD', why not just send an mp4 file ?
I know that removes Opening screens / Pretty titles / Chapter Links etc and it's just not as 'Nice'
But it may be more universally acceptable now with many TV's having USB facilities ?

If ever I send out mp4 files and I send a 4K h265 version, then I generally include a version in HD (1920 x 1080) h.264 as being compatable with more kit.
greenie44 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Instead of sending a 'DVD', why not just send an mp4 file ?
I know that removes Opening screens / Pretty titles / Chapter Links etc and it's just not as 'Nice'
But it may be more universally acceptable now with many TV's having USB facilities ?

If ever I send out mp4 files and I send a 4K h265 version, then I generally include a version in HD (1920 x 1080) h.264 as being compatable with more kit.

That's a good point, but these DVDs are going out to some non-technical/older folks, so it might be hard to explain that to them.