Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview window too bright.
Bo_JustMe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2010 07:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I use an old PD9, already many years, on several PC's. Today it runs on a Dell Latitude E6520 on Win 10. I recently experienced a Win 10 crash and reinstalled Win 10, and I reinstalled all other applications including PD.
The strange thing is that whenever I add a movie to the timeline, the preview window shows the movie much too bright, as if the brightness has been turned up a lot. I never experienced that problem before, not on this PC, not on any other PC. If the preview window shows another selected movie, then it looks normal. Only the movie on the timeline shows this problem.
The problem looks a little similar to "Preview Screen when playing is black", but my preview screen is not black, but shows the movie much too bright.
The OP didn't get a solution for his problem.
I tried all the tricks mentioned for his problem, but it didn't make any difference.
This PC has an NVIDIA NVS 4200M, and runs the latest version driver (392.37). I never touched the settings.
It worked perfectly before the crash.
Any ideas?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2021 06:18

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Please read this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page and attach the DxDiag.txt on your next reply.
Bo_JustMe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please read this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page and attach the DxDiag.txt on your next reply.

OK. DxDiag.txt in attachment.

So, I added two screenshots:

1. a screenshot of the original video (source) in the media library, showing a normal picture, and

2. a screenshot of the Timeline video (same source video), but.... it doesn't show the picture that I see on my screen. On my screen I see the very same picture as in 1. but with a very high brightness. The screenshot however shows nothing but a black screen. Very strange.

[Thumb - Preview Window Orig Movie.png]
 Filename
Preview Window Orig Movie.png
[Disk]
 Description
Preview window showing original video (in media library)
 Filesize
593 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag.txt file
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)
[Thumb - Preview Window Timeline.png]
 Filename
Preview Window Timeline.png
[Disk]
 Description
Preview window showing Timeline video, but...no picture!!
 Filesize
139 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 is ancient, and the WER crash reports at the end of your DxDiag results show that you're not running the final release (3305) from almost 10 years ago. You can download it from this page and that may help with this issue.
Bo_JustMe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PD9 is ancient, and the WER crash reports at the end of your DxDiag results show that you're not running the final release (3305) from almost 10 years ago. You can download it from this page and that may help with this issue.

OK... Not sure I can follow you. How did it never show this problem before the crash, knowing that I never implemented this 3305?
Anyway. I downloaded this 3305 and implemented it. It doesn't make any difference. New DxDIag_1.txt in attachement. Thanks anyway.
Any other suggestions?
 Filename
DxDiag_1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
New DxDiag_1.txt after 3305 update.
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
92 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It's simply a process of elimination, so now you can rule out the PD version as a possible cause. You can also try CL tech support to see if they can help, and the first thing they'd tell you to do would be to update PD9 so you've already eliminated one round of emails.

You can reach them here and you may want to inlcude a link to this discussion so they can see everything that's happened so far. After the confirmation email, you may not receive updates when someone has replied to your ticket so you may want to check My Status > My Support Ticket every few days to see if there's any new activity.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt. This laptop is too old to be upgraded to windows 10. Dell did not supply the upgrade path like they did on their newer pc back in 2015. Intel never supplied any windows 10 drivers for the components on this motherboard. Users have upgraded to win 10 anyway using the win 7 drivers.

Reinstalling Windows 10 as a new install instead of an upgrade means that no Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver is available for install to fix the problem you are experiencing.

One can restore the laptop to the original factory configuration and then upgrade to win 10 to supply the missing driver.

One Dell user has found a workaround to install the Dell win 8.1 upgrade first before an upgrade to win 10 fixed his issue in the forum: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/E6520-Windows-10/td-p/4625382 .

BTW: You installed the windows 10 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version so your laptop can only access 3.5 GB of ram instead of the full 8 GB of ram installed on the motherboard. Better stick with the win 7 operating system to avoid future problems if desired.
Bo_JustMe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt. This laptop is too old to be upgraded to windows 10. Dell did not supply the upgrade path like they did on their newer pc back in 2015. Intel never supplied any windows 10 drivers for the components on this motherboard. Users have upgraded to win 10 anyway using the win 7 drivers.

Reinstalling Windows 10 as a new install instead of an upgrade means that no Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver is available for install to fix the problem you are experiencing.

One can restore the laptop to the original factory configuration and then upgrade to win 10 to supply the missing driver.

One Dell user has found a workaround to install the Dell win 8.1 upgrade first before an upgrade to win 10 fixed his issue in the forum: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/E6520-Windows-10/td-p/4625382 .

BTW: You installed the windows 10 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version so your laptop can only access 3.5 GB of ram instead of the full 8 GB of ram installed on the motherboard. Better stick with the win 7 operating system to avoid future problems if desired.

Thanks a lot for your very useful reply. (It's the type of reply I expect - and appreciate - from this type of forum.)
I'm only an ordinary "end user" and I don't usually dig into details of drivers, driver versions, patches, updates, etc.
I "inherited" this laptop with win 7 on it. It was "too good" to throw it away (Core i7, 8GB RAM, 300GB disk,...) So, I tried to put some Win 10 on it and decided to use it exclusively for video and audio stuff.
As you suggested I will reinstall Win 7 (64 bit... and all other applications including PD9) and see how it works.
Again, Thanks!