Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
color presets in the fx room not working
folly1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 23:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I am up to date with my patch for PD19 ultimate. I can't seem to drag and drop onto a clip or the fx track several of the color presets. Does this only apply to full tracks (I saw this by left clicking)? I usually have no trouble applying fx, are the color presets different in how to make them work? Thanks for any enlightenment.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Applying color presets and effects is done differently. Color presets usually apply to the whole videoclip and effects can apply to the whole clip of parts thereof.
If you select an item in the effect room, then please notice the (subtle) direction in the bar just above the timeline. It can say things like:
Drag the selected video effect to the effect track, or to a video clip to apply the effect on the entire clip. Or
Drag the effect to the video clip to apply it to the entire clip.
If you want to apply a color preset to only part of the clip, then the thing to do is split the clip at the points before and after the portion of the clip you want to apply the color preset at.
Also note that color presets do not (always) work on still images, color LUTs do.
I hope that this answer your question. Otherwise please show us the (odd?) behavior of PD.
folly1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 23:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Applying color presets and effects is done differently. Color presets usually apply to the whole videoclip and effects can apply to the whole clip of parts thereof.
If you select an item in the effect room, then please notice the (subtle) direction in the bar just above the timeline. It can say things like:
Drag the selected video effect to the effect track, or to a video clip to apply the effect on the entire clip. Or
Drag the effect to the video clip to apply it to the entire clip.
If you want to apply a color preset to only part of the clip, then the thing to do is split the clip at the points before and after the portion of the clip you want to apply the color preset at.
Also note that color presets do not (always) work on still images, color LUTs do.
I hope that this answer your question. Otherwise please show us the (odd?) behavior of PD.

Thank you for the help. I understand applying fx to a particular video clip. But for the Drag the effect to the video clip to apply it to the entire clip--do you mean the entire track it is on? My work is split into many very short segments that are strung together. I will try your suggestions and if I have more problems I will write again. I appreciate your expertise on this. If it is track based color preset, I may have to re-think how I edit that particular portion.
Thanks!

I just tried your suggestions and I understand it now. Problem was jpeg vs clips. All set. Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 06. 2021 01:40

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folly1 -

As you've discovered, with Warry's advice, a colour preset can only be applied by dropping it on the video clip (not on the FX track). Other video FX can be applied the same way, or in the FX track.

When you drag a color preset to a video clip, it only affects that clip - not the whole video track.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!