Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where does PhotoDirector store face tags and can it read face tags stored in XMP?
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

Does anyone know where PD stores face tags? And is there any way to get it to read face tags stored in XMP?

I have hundreds of faces tagged in Picasa that I would like to move over but am not sure if it's possible.

Thanks,

Tim
[Post New]
Hello Tim,

From your other thread, I see you are looking for a "Picasa replacement".

PhD & Picasa function in quite different ways, even though each application has qualities & features that might suit an individual's needs best.

At a core level, PhD is a non-destructive editor. i.e. adjustments & changes made to photos are NOT embedded in the photo until it's exported as a new photo. The same thing applies to text/face tags. Picasa, on the other hand, makes changes on the fly. i.e. tags are applied instantly & embedded in photos without export.

As noted in the other thread, Picasa monitors changes in system folders where PhD only monitors changes in photos that have been imported.

So, without launching into a compare & contrast, each application is very different in features & function. Opinions about the "best" replacement for Picasa are wide & varied, as you'd expect. e.g. I don't think a long time Picasa user would regard Google Photos as a "replacement".

Of course, text/face tags applied in one can be read in the other.

I trust this has helped a little in your quest.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Tim,

From your other thread, I see you are looking for a "Picasa replacement".

PhD & Picasa function in quite different ways, even though each application has qualities & features that might suit an individual's needs best.

At a core level, PhD is a non-destructive editor. i.e. adjustments & changes made to photos are NOT embedded in the photo until it's exported as a new photo. The same thing applies to text/face tags. Picasa, on the other hand, makes changes on the fly. i.e. tags are applied instantly & embedded in photos without export.

As noted in the other thread, Picasa monitors changes in system folders where PhD only monitors changes in photos that have been imported.

So, without launching into a compare & contrast, each application is very different in features & function. Opinions about the "best" replacement for Picasa are wide & varied, as you'd expect. e.g. I don't think a long time Picasa user would regard Google Photos as a "replacement".

Of course, text/face tags applied in one can be read in the other.

I trust this has helped a little in your quest.

PIX

Thanks Pix. I do like PhotoDirector in many respects. I've been a PowerDirector user - though don't make a lot of videos - but have found it to be a pretty solid program. I'll keep exploring PhotoDirector. I think it is narrowing down to that and Photoshop Elements - particularly the Organizer. But it has its own challenges. Another that I like is PhotoTheca, but I'm a little concerned it is produced by a pretty small company and may stop supporting the program - although as with Picasa, even a big company is no guarantee!