Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PhotoDirector Monitor Pictures Folder?
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

I'm considering coming over to PD from Picasa, which is now very long in the tooth.

One great thing about Picasa was that it could constantly monitor any folder on the PC. So if you moved folders or made changes to the directory structure / hierarchy of folders, Picasa would immediate adjust.

Does PD monitor folders in a similar way? My sense is it does not since you have to import photos into PD.

Thanks,

Tim
[Post New]
Hello Tim,

No. PhD does not keep track of changes you've made to your folder structure & contents.

If you import Folder X, then later add photos to Folder X in Windows, PhD has no knowledge of it. PhD keeps track only of photos you've imported. So, if you import Folder X, then later remove some photos from Folder X in Windows, PhD will ask why they're not where they were & suggests you locate them.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Tim,

No. PhD does not keep track of changes you've made to your folder structure & contents.

If you import Folder X, then later add photos to Folder X in Windows, PhD has no knowledge of it. PhD keeps track only of photos you've imported. So, if you import Folder X, then later remove some photos from Folder X in Windows, PhD will ask why they're not where they were & suggests you locate them.

PIX

Thank you Pix. That is too bad for my use case, in which I sometimes make changes to the windows folder structure. That was one nice thing (among many) about Picasa. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for Picasa that does everything as well and with a pretty simple UI (it is for my wife's PC and she is pretty non-technical). I like the PD UI and some of the capabilities but this could be a deal-breaker. Unfortunately Picasa does not scale well on the screen of her new PC and it is breaking in a few other ways.