Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Graphics card
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I browsed through the forum for Graphics card and what I found was dated from 2012 down. I'm sure there has been upgraded versions since then. I'm thinking of buying a computer (xps 8940) that has AMD graphics card. I thought the Nvidia was more for video editing, but now I'm comfused. I appreciate if you could help me with this - which graphics card is best for video editing, AMD or Nvidia? Thank you. Vivian.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
According to the Dell website, the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 is recommended for the external video card on the xps 8940. I don't disagree with their selection.
PDWhite [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2020 12:42 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote According to the Dell website, the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 is recommended for the external video card on the xps 8940. I don't disagree with their selection.

Nvidia Video with CUDA capability is what really moves the needle when it comes to encoding video. AMD is good, but Nvidia is better.

If you plan to do a lot of video production Nvidia CUDA capability is what you need
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you all for your help - You made my decision easier.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Nvidia Video with CUDA capability is what really moves the needle when it comes to encoding video. AMD is good, but Nvidia is better.

If you plan to do a lot of video production Nvidia CUDA capability is what you need

I'm afraid that PD hasn't supported CUDA for many years, and the only hardware it can access for producing is NVDEC/NVENC. This chart shows the capabilities of various nVidia GPUs.