Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
importing different aspect footage..
icefreez7899 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2021 05:16 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

When I import 1x1 aspect footage under 16:9 project, PD automatically stretches its size in order to fill out 16:9 screen.
Is there any solution to maintain original resolution?
thank you.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello.

When I import 1x1 aspect footage under 16:9 project, PD automatically stretches its size in order to fill out 16:9 screen.
thank you.
Power Director has a 1:1 aspect ratio; Two ways to set that aspect ratio:
1: If set to enter full mode, you can Click Edit > Aspect ratio > 1:1
2: If not set to open in Full Mode, when you first start Power Director, there is a choice for the aspect radio before you click Full Mode.

To reset (Open in Full Mode) , after PowerDirector is in full mode, Press (Alt+C) > Confirmation > Click the Reset button
OR Click Edit > Preferences > Confirmation > Click the Reset button. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello.

thank you.

PD really shouldn't be doing that. The 1:1 video should fill the vertical height in a 16:9 frame and have black bars on left and right. No stretch distortion. Can you post a pic of preview window showing what PD is doing when you import your 1:1 video in a 16:9 editing timeline.

Jeff
icefreez7899 [Avatar]
[Post New]

PD really shouldn't be doing that. The 1:1 video should fill the vertical height in a 16:9 frame and have black bars on left and right. No stretch distortion. Can you post a pic of preview window showing what PD is doing when you import your 1:1 video in a 16:9 editing timeline.

Jeff
[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
colorboard 16:9 aspect
 Filesize
109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
1:1 nested project
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - 3.JPG]
 Filename
3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
added into timeline
 Filesize
160 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
icefreez7899 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Power Director has a 1:1 aspect ratio; Two ways to set that aspect ratio:
1: If set to enter full mode, you can Click Edit > Aspect ratio > 1:1
2: If not set to open in Full Mode, when you first start Power Director, there is a choice for the aspect radio before you click Full Mode.

To reset (Open in Full Mode) , after PowerDirector is in full mode, Press (Alt+C) > Confirmation > Click the Reset button
OR Click Edit > Preferences > Confirmation > Click the Reset button.

Thank you for reply. But it seems that my explanation is not clear.
What I want is not how to change aspect.. I meant different aspect footage is automatically stretched to fit the screen.
I want to know the way to maintain original ratio...
thank you.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It looks to me based on your "3.JPG" like you inserted a PD project that was set to a 16:9 aspect ratio that had your 1:1 clip when saved. This creates the two black columns on the left and right edges shown on the clip thumbnail on track 2.

That 1:1 clip of the inserted nested project needs to have the 1:1 aspect ratio timeline when saved. When done, you should see something similar to attached pic. Nested project on track 2 does not have added black left and right columns of 16:9 ratio and aspect ratio kept in this 16:9 project, it's simply scaled to fill the vertical height.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_1_1.png]
 Filename
PD19_1_1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
477 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
icefreez7899 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks to me based on your "3.JPG" like you inserted a PD project that was set to a 16:9 aspect ratio that had your 1:1 clip when saved. This creates the two black columns on the left and right edges shown on the clip thumbnail on track 2.

That 1:1 clip of the inserted nested project needs to have the 1:1 aspect ratio timeline when saved. When done, you should see something similar to attached pic. Nested project on track 2 does not have added black left and right columns of 16:9 ratio and aspect ratio kept in this 16:9 project, it's simply scaled to fill the vertical height.

Jeff

Thank you for reply. Let me explain what I did..

I created nested new project.
I set aspect ratio as 1:1 and added 16:9 videoclip and PD poped up a message about different resolution.
I added custom image in track 2 and streached width to fit 1:1 aspect.
I saved it...

after that,

I create 16:9 new project and added black color board.
when I add above 1:1 project into track 2, aspect of black color board became 1:1 and lost previous 16:9 setting.

If I add 1:1 aspect videoclip, both 16:9 black color board and 1:1 videoclip. maintain their original aspect.
This is what I wanted..
[Thumb - 4.JPG]
 Filename
4.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
inserting videoclip not nested project
 Filesize
149 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2021 12:36