Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 19/365 -Video collage designer or some other way?
EdK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2020 06:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I'm relatively new to PD and not real familiar with video editing terminology and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I have a need to create 70 video tracks (this I know how to do) but also need all the video's to be displayed at the same time.

I tried a test with 4 videos of what I want to do usinb VIdeo collage and although I'm not sure if I can do that with 70 video tracks.

I also tried manually resizing each video in the preview window (NOT using VIdeo collage) with those same 4 video's and although that woudl work also, is there a way that I can resize all 70 videoss and make them all the same size. i.e. like a grid. For example, the way Zoom works when you have multiple participants. In my case, I would like to evenly spzce out all 70 videos.
I relize each one will be very small but that's OK. For example: Can I create a 10X7 evenly spaced grid and drop each individual video tracks into a unique box in that grid?

Or if there's another way I should be doing this....I'm all ears

Thanks! Ed
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
For example: Can I create a 10X7 evenly spaced grid and drop each individual video tracks into a unique box in that grid?

Or if there's another way I should be doing this....I'm all ears

Thanks! Ed

You can enable grid lines in the preview window. Just click the icon to the right of the camera icon, and then select Grid Lines. You can't create a custom grid, so you will have to get creative using 8x8 or 9x9.

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2021 22:00

EdK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2020 06:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

You can enable grid lines in the preview window. Just click the icon to the right of the camera icon, and then select Grid Lines. You can't create a custom grid, so you will have to get creative using 8x8 or 9x9.

Ash

Thanks. I guess what I was looking for is creating a custom grid. So it looks like I need to get creative.

Ed
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks. I guess what I was looking for is creating a custom grid. So it looks like I need to get creative.

Ed

Hi,

The most common methd is to use a suitable grid produced in any image/drawing program. The grid should have a transparent background and be in .png format.
It should be placed on the lowest track so that it is at the "front", with the same duration as the finished video, and it will act as a positioning guide. The track can then be switched on/off as required.
The colour and width of the gridlines can be user defined to suit, so that they could also act as a border for each inset video if that is advantageous.
Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator
tbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 09:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ed

Are you working on a Virtual Choir video? I've done several of these, though not with as many as 70 - the most I had was 30 singers and 15 in the orchestra. It'd be great if you would post a link to your finished project (I assume it will be on YouTube?) so that we could see the finished result. You might also be interested in a Facebook page 'Virtual Music Creators' Forum' (make sure you get the apostrophe right!), which is a mine of information, though very Final Cut Pro-orientated.

Creating the grid in a graphics package is a good idea - also, you can turn on the Grid View in the Preview Window and then snap clips to that. This would help in getting the clips at more or less the same size, then you can edit/finetune the size of each one by right-clicking the clip in the timeline, selecting 'Edit Clip Keyframe' and then 'Clip Attributes'.

I found that having even just 20 full-length videos all running at once became very unwieldy, so find a way of working on just a few subsets (maybe Sopranos, then Altos and so on) and Rendering (Producing) each one before working on the next subset. So for example, work on just 10 clips, and then the next 10 and so on, meaning that in the end you will have just 7 videos playing at once. Forward planning and graph paper are essential for this!

Also, I find it imperative, with a Choir recording, to work on the audio seperately and in another program (audio is not PD's strong point). Then strip out the audio from your videos (do this before Producing each subset edit) and use just that one audio mixdown track

Good luck!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 06. 2021 11:29