Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced video SOMETIMES out of sync, other times fine
ScottFSEA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 20, 2020 16:24 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I produced a video and it plays fine on my computer. I uploaded it to OneDrive to share with my band and they said it was out of sync SOMETIMES but then other times they played it, it would be in sync.

I tried uploading it to Vimeo and they said the same thing happens. My band mate tried uploading it to YouTube and same thing.

I originally saved it as an MP4 but one of the other threads on here suggested trying saving it as a M2TS but the band said the same thing is happening with the M2TS file. Sometimes in sync, sometimes not.

I'm realy confused. I decided to try watching it on Vimeo on my living room TV and it looked fine.

Here is the Vimeo link: https://vimeo.com/484215881/ec69571c3b

Any ideas? Let me know if its showing in sync for you in the link above.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2020 15:09

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect your source footage was maybe taken with a iPhone or device that supports a highly variable frame rate. I'd imaging with conditions of filming a band playing, this highly variable framerate was exercised. If that's the case, I'd use HandBrake to convert to a very basic constant framerate and a avg bitrate comparable with your source footage to not drop quality. MediaInfo works good to see the details of a video file, framerate, bitrate, frame size,...so on.

Use this HandBrake encoded file in PD for editing and see if your sync issue is gone.

Jeff
ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes. Everything was filmed on 2 iPhones and an iPad.

So I need to covert them in Handbrake PRIOR to editing them? Not convert the final edited piece? (ugh, just finished editing my 2nd video and am dreading having to go back and do it all again for both of them).
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote (ugh, just finished editing my 2nd video and am dreading having to go back and do it all again for both of them).

It's very easy to convert the original clips in Handbrake and then place them in the same folder as your original copies. Using File Explorer, rename the original clips (add or remove any number of characters) and give the Handbrake versions the exact same names as the original clips.

When you open up the project in PD, it will use the new clips instead of the original ones and you should be able to produce the project again and have a good result.
ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh good to know. THANK YOU! I was dreading it. I mean, I know it would be easier to replicate the edits because now I know where and what I want in each space but... would rather not have to deal with it. haha

Unfamiliar with the bit rate side of things so I'll do a little research first and then get into it. These are the first videos I've done with this many cameras and multiple angles plus having to have one of the band mates record on her own phone remotely and send us the footage.

And also just discovering the multicam feature which made life SO much easier.

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2020 00:26

ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
I used MediaInfo to review each of the video files data. Looks like all of them have the same 29.970 FPS but the bit rates are different. I have attached a screen shot of all of the video files data with the bit rates highlighted.

I'm confused when you say to use Handbrake to "convert to an avg bitrate comparable with your source footage". I have 10 video files. There is a range from 2,174 kb/s to 15.5 Mb/s. If I'm trying to match all video files to the same bit rate, do I just pick one?

(edit: I did read a tutorial at https://engagemedia.org/help/video-compression-step-by-step-handbrake-tutorial/ which recommended "Enter an Average Bitrate (kbps) for the video between 5,000-10,000 (choose 10,000 unless you want a much higher quality video that will take longer to upload and download".)

And I assume I would enter that number in the Video tab of Handbrake next to the "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" field?

Sorry for all the questions. First time ever having to deal with this and we have 3 videos I need to get completed and submitted by Dec 4th. I appreciate all the advice so much.
[Thumb - Video File Data.jpg]
 Filename
Video File Data.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of the videos data
 Filesize
568 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Handbrake screen shot.jpg]
 Filename
Handbrake screen shot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of Handbrake Video tab screen
 Filesize
152 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2020 16:24

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Your videos have different bitrates, so you probably won't be able to use a single output profile for all of them. Also, the original clips are all 1280x720p, so there's nothing to gain by upscaling them to the 1080p profile that you've selected.

If you did want to use a single output profile to minimize the time you're spending on this, use the HQ or Super HQ 720p 30 Surround preset as they'll give you very high quality from each clip.

If you did want to match the profile to each clip, simply type in the appropriate value of each clip in the Avg Bitrate (kbps) box: Use 2174 for the Danny Center.mp4 clip for example.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2020 16:55

ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Correct. It seems like the frame rates are all the same but am I correct that all the bitrates need to match as well? Right now they are all different.

You said "If you did want to match the profile to each clip, simply type in the appropriate value of each clip in the Avg Bitrate (kbps) box: Use 2174 for the Danny Center.mp4 clip for example."

If I entered the bitrate of what each of the files currently are (ex: Danny Center = 2174, Kris C Center = 5483, Tricia center = 8728 ) in the Avg Bitrate box, is that just going to save them at the same bitrate that they already are?

I just tried processing all of the files using the Preset: Super HQ 720p30 Surround and didn't touch anything else. The Framerate (FPS) was set to 30, Avg Bitrate (kbps) was unchecked.

I replaced the old files with these new files using the same file name, PowerDirector recognized them all and I produced a new video. Uploaded it to OneDrive, viewed it but the audio is still off. If I view it locally in PD its in sync.

So are you recommending doing the same with the Preset: Super HQ 720p30 Surround but to also select the Avg BitRate box and enter in the bitrate that each file is showing?

Thank you again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2020 19:00

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm really doubting the frame rates are all the same, the pic you posted is not conclusive. Change the "View" menu in MediaInfo to text and export and save the file and upload. More than likely you have something like this in that file.

Frame rate : 29.970 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 28.571 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 30.000 FPS

Additionally, your HandBrake screen does not show that you are using a constant frame rate, but a peak.

PD can usually handle a variable bitrate rather well, what it often stumbles on with sync issues is a variable frame rate and the frame rate truly fluctuates. I'd create a very basic standard constant frame rate file in HandBrake and see how it goes.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2020 20:00

ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff.

I've attached a Word doc with the MediaInfo data of the files.

I've also attached a screen shot of Handbrake with the settings I'm running the files through at now based on your advice (hopefully I understood you correctly). I've queued them all with the same settings.
[Thumb - Handbrake screen shot 2.jpg]
 Filename
Handbrake screen shot 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Handbrake screen shot
 Filesize
132 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
Video Files data - frame rates.docx
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo data - Frame rates highlighted
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
99 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your doc file is of the HandBrake encoded files. My initial request and comment concerning variable frame rate was of your source videos to try and understand if they had variable frame rate as a potentially contributing factor.

Jeff
ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've pulled the data from the original files. Attached.
 Filename
Video Files data - frame rates2.docx
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
75 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've pulled the data from the original files. Attached.

Thanks, maybe getting closer. Are you sure these are the originals from the two iPhones and iPad you quote? I don't believe I've seen a mp4 from a iPhone, usually mov. Also the file tags don't appear to be from a iPhone, it looks like the clips may have been already processed with another encoder.

As a proof of concept on potential sync resolution, I'd simply take the original iPhone and iPad clips, encode at a constant frame rate in HandBrake, and try in a PD project. If that corrects the sync issue it gives you a direction.

Jeff
ScottFSEA [Avatar]
[Post New]
You were right. I was so flustered this weekend worried I was going to screw this up for them that I wasn't thinking correctly when you were asking for the ORIGINAL files.

OK, I've pulled the data from the ORIGINAL files through MediaInfo (ATTACHED) and you are correct, they all are showing variable frame rates.

Examples:
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 29.970 (29970/1000)
FPS Minimum frame rate : 28.571
FPS Maximum frame rate : 30.000 FPS

Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 31.579 FPS

OK so THESE original video files are the ones I should run through Handbrake, correct?

Also, just to clarify what I should be entering in the fields....

Dimensions tab:

• The width & height in the fields don't match the Source measurements. I assume I should change those to match the 1920x1080 source?

Video tab:

• Preset - Choose "Super HQ 1080p30 Surround"

• Framerate - Switch to "Constant Framerate"

• Avg Bitrate (kbps) - Should I do anything with this or just leave it unchecked with the 2-Pass Encoding below it checked? If I should click the Avg Bitrate, should I leave it blank? Or am I entering the different bitrates for each of the different videos? Or am I choosing 1 bitrate that all of the videos should be changed to? I was confused about this one earlier.

After that just select the Save As folder and click Start Encode, correct?
[Thumb - Handbrake screen.jpg]
 Filename
Handbrake screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Handbrake Screen
 Filesize
121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
 Filename
Original Video File data.docx