Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error when making transitions between videos on the timeline
Travel78 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2020 17:44 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

When using my Powerdirector 16 I get the error message Media Source Error [Error code 2] as seen in the attachment.

This massage will pop up every time i try to insert anything from the Transition Room to make transitions between my videos on the timeline. Like Fade, Wipe soft or anything else.

I am getting this recently. Just some weeks ago. Not from the beginning. I dont have any idea what has been changed. I am using exactly the same video formats. So that couldnt be the problem.
Can you guys help me out? but not in a too much technical advanced way, please? I am not that technical advanced.

Thank you.
[Thumb - Media Source Error Editing Video - Error Code2.JPG]
 Filename
Media Source Error Editing Video - Error Code2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Media Source Error
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Even though you see the error when you try to place a transition, the problem is actually caused by the clip you're applying the transition to. Sometimes the clip is too short or there might be something about how it was recorded that PD doesn't like, and the easiest way to fix this would be to use a different clip in your project, if possible.

If you don't have another clip that would work with your timeline content, you can try converting it to another format using a free app like Handbrake. Then replace the original clip with the new version.

If you're comfortable sharing the clip here on the forum, upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a link to it here so other people can test it and see if it can be fixed. Please see this FAQ for more info.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am getting this recently. Just some weeks ago. Not from the beginning. I dont have any idea what has been changed. I am using exactly the same video formats. So that couldnt be the problem.

If you're running under Windows 10 it may be that a recent update has changed something. If all else fails you can try reverting the system to an earlier date before the problem appeared.
Travel78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Even though you see the error when you try to place a transition, the problem is actually caused by the clip you're applying the transition to. Sometimes the clip is too short or there might be something about how it was recorded that PD doesn't like, and the easiest way to fix this would be to use a different clip in your project, if possible.

If you don't have another clip that would work with your timeline content, you can try converting it to another format using a free app like Handbrake. Then replace the original clip with the new version.

If you're comfortable sharing the clip here on the forum, upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a link to it here so other people can test it and see if it can be fixed. Please see this FAQ for more info.

Thank you so much for taking your time to send me a massage.

I dont get the error because of editing a specific type of file. I get this error just when I use a Transition from the Transition Room to put transition between 2 videos (see printscreen Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video).
I am always editing the same type of mp4 files or MTS Files. It was never e problem. Something did happen to the program or with my computer in the last weeks.

I cant figure out what.

Thank you
[Thumb - Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video.jpg]
 Filename
Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video
 Filesize
289 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Travel78 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you're running under Windows 10 it may be that a recent update has changed something. If all else fails you can try reverting the system to an earlier date before the problem appeared.

Thank you so much for taking your time to send me a massage.

I am using Windows 10 right now.

Maybe something did happen to the program or indeed with my computer in the last weeks. Because it was never a problem.

I dont get the error because of editing a specific type of file. I get this error just when I use a Transition from the Transition Room to put transition between 2 videos (see printscreen Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video).
I am always editing the same type of mp4 files or MTS Files..

If I dont get any reply that can help, I will need to try reverting to another day to see.

Thank you.
[Thumb - Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video.jpg]
 Filename
Editing Video Cyberlink 16 - Media Source Error Editing Video.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
289 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
0 time(s)
Keith7301 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2021 11:47 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm getting this same issue. The video plays fine until I add a transition then it gets error code 2 . Any updates on this?
JPon2Wheels08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2022 03:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
No fix yet on this issue?

I noticed it started after a few update were released by PowerDirector so this issue is not with Windows.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This issue is always related to specific clips, and the standard workaround is to convert the clip to a better-supported format using a free third party app like Handbrake or VirtualDub2.