Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changed Backgrounds Multiple Times During Video
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure if PD18 can do this or not.

I just viewed a friend video that they mostly likely made with iphone where they are doing a dance starting out in the backyard and then suddenly the background changes to inside their house and then back to an outdoor scence, etc

These people are not into video software,etc, they just do phone videos

Is there an easy way to do this in PD 18 ?

I know with work you can manually create a green background and then use chroma key, etc but that is a lot of work and these people did not do that

Maybe the Apple imovie or similar software has some easy function for that
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Basically, yes it can. Just what do you want from an edited result?

Using green or blue screens in the initial recording allows - during edit - the substitution of any desired background as long as it doesn't have green or blue in it that matches, or is a close match, to the screen you used. Trying to subsitute a background after the recording has been made is difficult if not impossible.

The original phone clip could be edited to give a smooth result something like this:

• run the phone clip thru a program like handbrake to give a stable frame rate result

• import the clip result to PD and trim out any undesired parts (like the move from outside to in, and vice versa); then use transitions to smooth the change from outside to inside, and back.

• if the audio has a lot of undesirable sounds like banging doors, shouts etc remove the clip audio and substitute an original "unblemished" music clip that goes with the dance visuals.

• add any voiceover needed

• render.

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't think you understood my question. That is exactly what this video did; it had changed backgrounds at different points and I think all they did is a phone recording. The Video quality was not that great but I had not seen that kind of changed background before in a phone video

Again these people are not into video, editing, they don't even own a camera. This was all phone

I am guessing the Apple Software in the phone was able to do this

It was very cool though to see the same dance and mainly 2-3 different backgrounds with no glitch
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
From a recording perspective, a phone can record video, play it back, and export the file for use elsewhere, like in an editor to clean it up etc. But you won't find any phones that have video editors on them. OTOH, you won't find video editors being used as primary recording devices either.
Since you like the result you saw, what do you want to do with it??
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know with work you can manually create a green background and then use chroma key, etc but that is a lot of work and these people did not do that

Maybe the Apple imovie or similar software has some easy function for that

Yes they were using apple software on an iphone with the green screen effect in iMovie. This is from Apple support and is one way to do it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210891#:~:text=In%20iMovie%20on%20iPhone%2C%20iPad,%2C%20photo%2C%20or%20other%20image. .Follow the steps exactly.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is a cool effect that Apple has in their software

how can this be done in PD 18 ?

can it be done quickly ?
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I also just saw a YT video where someone was singing and the backgrounds were changing many times during the video

I's sure they were using iphone

any other similar ways to do this in PD 18 ?

I know these people are not recording these videos with a green screen

they are just recording in their house with a normal background but using the apple phone software they are able to get the changed backgrounds look

Hoping someone knows how to do this in PD 18
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The short answer is that using a green screen when recording makes this possible in any editor, and neither PD18 or PD19 have any tools that automatically remove all background objects.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am wondering how Apple iphone software is able to do this quickly and provide multiple backgrounds

again, these people that are posting these videos are not into video; they are just mass market customers using their phones

maybe there is also an Android app that can do this

It is a cool feature to be able to use