Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CDR 9 too many bugs ?
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Just been trying out the new CDR 9 - 365. after watching the Cyberlink video about all the new "bits", I must say that I'm very disappointed with it!

1,Once the clip is placed in the CDR Storyboard, it takes a while before it plays even after you've pressed play. At that point the software appears to "hang" but there is hardly any CPU OR GPU performance taking place even though RAM usage is around 7 GB. After clicking on "STOP" even before the clip has started to play, takes a while for the stop command to work.

2. I was expecting to have usable SCOPE/WAVEFORM monitors but we've ended up with something which can only be called "insufficient" almost unusable for colour correcting!

3. CDR9 Is still NOT "integrated" into ColorDirector, you have a timewasting switching back and forth between the programmes just for one clip. You then have to wait to view the correction in place with the rest of the timeline. Quite a waste of time. Yes, I could wait until the programme is finished before jumping into CDR-9 BUT it's still only a clip at a time, you can't import the full ColorDirector Timeline.
No doubt there are other irregularities I’ve still to find out, but this has taken too long out my day so far just to try this out!
I'll just wait with baited breath or have another coffee and a piece of GF cake

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't spent much time with the new CDR, but I don't see any delay at all after placing a clip on the storyboard and clicking Play.

In all fairness I have a new and very powerful 16 core CPU so my experience may not be typical, and so I wonder if the duration or encoding of your particular clips might play a role. Trying out different source clips might allow you to determine if there are any particular clips that CDR has more difficulty processing.

I haven't used the scope/waveform tool before, but it seems to accurately reflect the dynamic changes as made by each control. I'm glad the window is detachable so I can set it big enough to see all the details:

As for CD9 being "integrated" into PDR (obviously CD9 is fully integrated with itself ), this is the same approach used with ADR and I'd suggest that the ability to call up CDR, make the change and return to PDR without having to produce the clip first is actually a timesaver.

On the other hand, if you're going to be working with many clips at once, I agree that building the timeline in CDR and producing there is probably quicker, especially if you're dealing with entire clips rather than small sections like you'd likely be working with in PDR.
[Post New]
Hello Kyle 40,

Like optodata, I'm not seeing the playback issues you seem to be having. Playback of UHD clips (60Mbps) is instant, though not completely fluid. CPU is running at ~40% & GPU at ~10-15% with adjusted clips.

About the Scope/Histogram/Waveform monitors: Could you post an example of the sort of display you're after? Perhaps something like that shown below? We each have different requirements & yours may be greater then mine, but I wouldn't have said "unusable for colour correcting".

You make a fair point about having to work with one clip at a time when round-tripping with PDR. You may have noticed that CL has introduced a feature in PDR where the whole project can be exported to ADR11, so the engineers' thinking might eventually align with yours with regard to CDR.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote I haven't spent much time with the new CDR, but I don't see any delay at all after placing a clip on the storyboard and clicking Play.

In all fairness I have a new and very powerful 16 core CPU so my experience may not be typical, and so I wonder if the duration or encoding of your particular clips might play a role. Trying out different source clips might allow you to determine if there are any particular clips that CDR has more difficulty processing.

I haven't used the scope/waveform tool before, but it seems to accurately reflect the dynamic changes as made by each control. I'm glad the window is detachable so I can set it big enough to see all the details:

As for CD9 being "integrated" into PDR (obviously CD9 is fully integrated with itself ), this is the same approach used with ADR and I'd suggest that the ability to call up CDR, make the change and return to PDR without having to produce the clip first is actually a timesaver.

On the other hand, if you're going to be working with many clips at once, I agree that building the timeline in CDR and producing there is probably quicker, especially if you're dealing with entire clips rather than small sections like you'd likely be working with in PDR.

Hi Optodata, thanks for replying.
You're quite correct in that the scopes do reflect the actual dynamic changes of the video. I was hoping for/expecting maybe praying for ( nah, don't think I'd go that far ! ) Vectorscope or better still a Parade scope (as in Pix reply) to really get to grips with getting the best out of colour correcting!

Now I've had a bit more of a play with different video clips, I've found the adjustment sliders to be fairly responsive. It turns out that the clip I was using during my first "moan" was recorded with an old camera which is producing problems ! I've gone through the same procedure now, using video from 10 different projects and they've all responded fairly well. At least better than the previous version of CDR ! It appears to be just the video from this old camera that I used for this shoot, that is causing problems! But I've nearly finished this particular edit.

Cheers
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kyle 40,

Like optodata, I'm not seeing the playback issues you seem to be having. Playback of UHD clips (60Mbps) is instant, though not completely fluid. CPU is running at ~40% & GPU at ~10-15% with adjusted clips.

About the Scope/Histogram/Waveform monitors: Could you post an example of the sort of display you're after? Perhaps something like that shown below? We each have different requirements & yours may be greater then mine, but I wouldn't have said "unusable for colour correcting".

You make a fair point about having to work with one clip at a time when round-tripping with PDR. You may have noticed that CL has introduced a feature in PDR where the whole project can be exported to ADR11, so the engineers' thinking might eventually align with yours with regard to CDR.

PIX

Hi Pix

Thank you for your reply to my moan. I must admit that I was hoping/expecting to have scopes that are standard for colour correcting, just as your image depicts. I do find that the Parade and Vectorscope are essential for correcting! I hope they' appear in another update to CDR.

Don't know if you've had a chance to read my reply to Optodata, but it appears that it's my video clip that's at fault ! It was taken with an old camera which has since proved to be unreliable. I've delved into 10 other projects and all the clips played with minimum fuss, I've even taken the oppertunity to create some more presets .

Many thanks for your help once again.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.