Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Scrolling Title (End Credits) problems in new version?
John Hirth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2020 14:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone else experienced incredibly slow editing and rendering of upward scrolling titles (e.g. End Credits) in the newest release?

Editing a 35 second set of end credits has always been slow and tedious, but now it's almost impossible, and the CPU load on my 8 core (16 cpu) i9 with Windows 10 Pro is near 100% while doing so.

Oh, and I have Hardware Acceleration set, although I've never been able to get 'pdr' to use my Nvidia Geforce GTX -1650 GPU.

I'm eagerly standing by for any comments.

Thanks,
John Hirth

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2020 18:47

CeriRees [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 16:49 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone else experienced incredibly slow editing and rendering of upward scrolling titles (e.g. End Credits) in the newest release?

Editing a 35 second set of end credits has always been slow and tedious, but now it's almost impossible, and the CPU load on my 8 core (16 cpu) i9 with Windows 10 Pro is near 100% while doing so.

Oh, and I have Hardware Acceleration set, although I've never been able to get 'pdr' to use my Nvidia Geforce GTX -1650 GPU.

I'm eagerly standing by for any comments.

Thanks,
John Hirth

I'm glad you mentioned this. I don't think it is limited to the scrolling titles. I have had a problem with all the titles I've used. They are incredibly slow both to edit and to render. I created a lyric video about 3 mins long, which I often do, and it took almost 15 minutes to render at 1080p on a PC with a 10700K, a 2080 Super and 32GB of RAM.

When rendering, you could see what was happening on the progress bar. It began at a reasonable speed and then when it encountered the lyrics, in two separate paragraphs with a simple quick fade at start and finish, it was like it hit a wall. I repeated this with other projects I did in PD18 and the same thing happened.

And, as you say, the editing is painful. I also had a strange experience when changing the font face color on one paragraph - I had it set to single color and it appeared as a gradient on the text, even though it still said single color, and I couldn't do anything about it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone else experienced incredibly slow editing and rendering of upward scrolling titles (e.g. End Credits) in the newest release?

I've got a brand new 16 core/32 thread CPU and quickly typing in a name in the Title Designer of Ending Credits 001 results in about. one. character. per. second. showing. up. However, the CPU load is only 3% while PD is barely crawling along, so your CPU maxxing out may be due to something else and I have absolutely no idea what's causing the long delays on my system.

That's not to say this isn't an issue, in fact I documented this classic PD17 post but there wasn't any clear resolution from the initial promise of turning off hyperthreading or keeping Edge closed or from CL's testing. Clearly the issue is still with us here in PD19

The only good news is that there's a much faster workaround available: Type up your credits in a plain text editor like Notepad and then copy & paste the whole thing into the Title Designer's Selected Object: text box. Click OK to save then go back as necessary to make any font, style, spacing etc. changes.

Quote Oh, and I have Hardware Acceleration set, although I've never been able to get 'pdr' to use my Nvidia Geforce GTX -1650 GPU.

If you have a laptop, especially one that uses "Optimus" technology, PD won't ever be able to access the nVidia GPU. If your laptop has the appropriate hardware and you have both GPUs enabled in the BIOS/UEFI, you can make the switch using Graphics Settings as described here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2020 23:34

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
John Hirth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2020 14:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Optodata, your suggestion about how to force the PD to use the nVidia GPU worked.

Rendering still hits a brick wall and seriously just about stops when it gets to the scrolling credits. It eventually does finish, but takes a ridiculously long time. Time for me to try to go back to PD 365-18.

Also thanks for the tip about copy/paste into the scrolling title object. That should help the make the text entry process at least bearable.

John
-----

I've got a brand new 16 core/32 thread CPU and quickly typing in a name in the Title Designer of Ending Credits 001 results in about. one. character. per. second. showing. up. However, the CPU load is only 3% while PD is barely crawling along, so your CPU maxxing out may be due to something else and I have absolutely no idea what's causing the long delays on my system.

That's not to say this isn't an issue, in fact I documented this classic PD17 post but there wasn't any clear resolution from the initial promise of turning off hyperthreading or keeping Edge closed or from CL's testing. Clearly the issue is still with us here in PD19

The only good news is that there's a much faster workaround available: Type up your credits in a plain text editor like Notepad and then copy & paste the whole thing into the Title Designer's Selected Object: text box. Click OK to save then go back as necessary to make any font, style, spacing etc. changes.

If you have a laptop, especially one that uses "Optimus" technology, PD won't ever be able to access the nVidia GPU. If your laptop has the appropriate hardware and you have both GPUs enabled in the BIOS/UEFI, you can make the switch using Graphics Settings as described here.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you share what output profile you're producing to? You may want to use the Profile Analyzer to see if there's a better match for your clips and hardware.

Also, there's no provision in the App Manager to undo any updates, so I'm afraid you won't be able to go back to PD18 unless you made a system image before you updated and can restore your C: drive.