Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unlink video and audio tracks
Diri [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 28, 2020 20:04 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
The help manual tells me that to unlink an audio track (in order to remove it) from a video track, I simply right-click on the track in the timeline and select "unlink video and audio tracks" but when I do this, no option appears in the pop-up box to unlink the tracks? If I select one of the video sections in that track then right-click on it, I see the option to unlink in the pop-up box but it is greyed out and unselectable. I have several empty audio tracks taking up valuable screen space which I can't remove.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
If you right click on a clip that has a video and audio component then you will see the option to link/unlink audio as you mention.

If you are seeing this greyed out it maybe you are trying to do so when there isn't one of those components.

Right click on an empty track to remove empty tracks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Diri - In addition to what Philwild said, Do a left mouse click on the video clip first to highlight it. After that do the right mouse click on the same clip and the option to Link/Unlink the audio track should not be grayed out if it has an audio track.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Are you trying to unlink "Tracks" or unlink the actual audio and video in a video clip?

If you are trying to unlink tracks that can't be done. You can add a single video or audio track and then remove them but if you add an audio and video track they are married and can't be separated, divorced or removed separately.

So if you have video in a video track and no audio in the audio track underneath it, you can't unlink or remove the audio track. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Are you trying to unlink "Tracks" or unlink the actual audio and video in a video clip?

If you are trying to unlink tracks that can't be done. You can add a single video or audio track and then remove them but if you add an audio and video track they are married and can't be separated, divorced or removed separately.

So if you have video in a video track and no audio in the audio track underneath it, you can't unlink or remove the audio track.

Thanks for this info. I had come to this conclusion but couldn't find any confirmation in any of the literature so was unsure. This will save me a lot of time in future. Thanks again.
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Philwild but nothing I try works. I cannot delete empty tracks but I have found that I can move some of them to the bottom of the layer stack so they are out of the way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2020 12:04

Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Diri - In addition to what Philwild said, Do a left mouse click on the video clip first to highlight it. After that do the right mouse click on the same clip and the option to Link/Unlink the audio track should not be grayed out if it has an audio track.

Think I have it worked out now. The tracks I am working with are still images not videos so there is no audio to unlink. I thought I could delete the empty audio track to make more room on screen but it seems this isn't possible. Thanks anyway.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
You can only delete tracks that you have added.

The tracks that are there when you start a project can't be removed.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for this info. I had come to this conclusion but couldn't find any confirmation in any of the literature so was unsure. This will save me a lot of time in future. Thanks again.

Happy to help. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There is another way to deal with this. If you know ahead of time that you're going to need x number of tracks for images and don't want PD to automatically add any audio tracks, follow the steps in this post.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Think I have it worked out now. The tracks I am working with are still images not videos so there is no audio to unlink. I thought I could delete the empty audio track to make more room on screen but it seems this isn't possible. Thanks anyway.

Hi,

By default PDR opens a project with 1 video/audio track, an fx track and another video/audio track before the title music etc tracks.

You cannot remove these 2 video/audio tracks.

However, in the case where you want to work on, say 5 image only tracks, or video only or audio only - then a workaround is as follows:
Rt click on T1 and Add Tracks...
Select Video, Add 5
Select Position >Above Track 1
Select Audio, Add 0
Select OK

Now Tracks 6 and 7 ( the original tracks) can be deleted
Leaving 5 video only tracks vertically adjacent to each other.

Same principle applies for audio only tracks.

If this is a common requirement, consider making an empty project to your requirements and saving it.
Open it and then then Save As {your new project} to work on.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - 5 video only track.PNG]
 Filename
5 video only track.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

By default PDR opens a project with 1 video/audio track, an fx track and another video/audio track before the title music etc tracks.

You cannot remove these 2 video/audio tracks.

However, in the case where you want to work on, say 5 image only tracks, or video only or audio only - then a workaround is as follows:
Rt click on T1 and Add Tracks...
Select Video, Add 5
Select Position >Above Track 1
Select Audio, Add 0
Select OK

Now Tracks 6 and 7 ( the original tracks) can be deleted
Leaving 5 video only tracks vertically adjacent to each other.

Same principle applies for audio only tracks.

If this is a common requirement, consider making an empty project to your requirements and saving it.
Open it and then then Save As {your new project} to work on.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for this. It's what I ended up doing actually except that I haven't been able to delete the default tracks PD first displays when opening a new project but it doesn't matter as much since they are off the bottom of the screen now. Cheers, love the help available here from everyone, it's fantastic!