Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Size in GB of clips
Scott1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2020 14:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am BRAND new to video editing and recently bought (and updated!) PowerDirector 15. I have captured all my old VHS tapes, some dating back to 1983, and my intention is to burn clips to DVDs in chronological order. My understanding is a DVD will only hold 4.7GB unless it's a dual layer and I don't want to go there.

Here's my question: since I am going to try to use as few DVDs as possible how can I tell how big, in GBs, a clip is? Do I right-click and check under Properties? Can I just right-click a clip on the timeline and get this information?

Also if anyone has undertaken a project like this before any tips or help you offer up will be much appreciated. What I want the end product to be is a DVD with a working menu and scene selection available.

Thanks to all in advance.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am BRAND new to video editing and recently bought (and updated!) PowerDirector 15. I have captured all my old VHS tapes, some dating back to 1983, and my intention is to burn clips to DVDs in chronological order. My understanding is a DVD will only hold 4.7GB unless it's a dual layer and I don't want to go there.

Here's my question: since I am going to try to use as few DVDs as possible how can I tell how big, in GBs, a clip is? Do I right-click and check under Properties? Can I just right-click a clip on the timeline and get this information?

Also if anyone has undertaken a project like this before any tips or help you offer up will be much appreciated. What I want the end product to be is a DVD with a working menu and scene selection available.

Thanks to all in advance.

To maintain the best quality permissible for a DVD, the time duration is about 1hr for single 4.7GB disc.

One can't go by clip size, if it’s a very high quality clip at high bitrates, it would need to be down sampled to be DVD compliant, hence the guide in hrs. A 8.5GB DVD will hold about 2 hrs.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
JL suggestion for HQ is what I would use if the source is DV, D8, Hi8, and Svhs. If your source is none of this then SP for 2.2 hours, or EP for 3+ hours, or smartfit for more hours may be what you want for low quality vhs. You can burn short videos on rewritable DVDs like DVD+-RW to test for acceptable quality with the fewest discs possible. Adding menus and chapters will take away some of the maximum video time on discs.