Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitles - re-configuring after editing the time-line
Karl Goran [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2020 20:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video with uploaded sub-titles. I edit the video, removing chunks on the time-line together with the sub-title track.

BUT, the list and time-stamps in the subtitle room don't change and any edits there don't show up in the actual subtitles on the vide.

Does anyone here know how to make the changes on the subtitle track to transfer to the Subtitle Room?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 30. 2020 00:41

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can place the cursor where you want the particular subtitle. Click and drag that subtitle to the new position.

It is far better to edit the video first and then add subtitles so you don't have to say move 500 subtitles again and again as you edit.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a video with uploaded sub-titles. I edit the video, removing chunks on the time-line together with the sub-title track.

BUT, the list and time-stamps in the subtitle room don't change and any edits there don't show up in the actual subtitles on the vide.

Does anyone here know how to make the changes on the subtitle track to transfer to the Subtitle Room?

Since you say upload sub-titles, I assume you had a file so can't really add them after editing video as they will still be in error location wise. PD does not offer a coupled timeline for subtitle, chapter marks,...so on, so it is what it is, been suggested for yrs, never happened yet.

Depending what you are after, one could produce the movie with sub-titles imprinted on video. You can then edit that video, since imprinted, they will move with video but are no longer independently edited. So approach not generic, but only if applicable for unique situations.

Jeff
Henmarsh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2019 07:10 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

Since you say upload sub-titles, I assume you had a file so can't really add them after editing video as they will still be in error location wise. PD does not offer a coupled timeline for subtitle, chapter marks,...so on, so it is what it is, been suggested for yrs, never happened yet.

Depending what you are after, one could produce the movie with sub-titles imprinted on video. You can then edit that video, since imprinted, they will move with video but are no longer independently edited. So approach not generic, but only if applicable for unique situations.

Jeff

Apologies for tagging onto this thread, but I guess your response applies to my situation too Jeff. My partner handed me a movie she made with her film group and asked me to produce Closed Captions for it. I did this and produced an .SRT file which all worked beautifully.

She's now told me that she's added 9 seconds to the start of the movie. I can't see any way to use my existing .SRT file with all its time codes based on the running length of the old movie, without manually editing the location of every single caption. Is this correct?

Charles
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Apologies for tagging onto this thread, but I guess your response applies to my situation too Jeff. My partner handed me a movie she made with her film group and asked me to produce Closed Captions for it. I did this and produced an .SRT file which all worked beautifully.

She's now told me that she's added 9 seconds to the start of the movie. I can't see any way to use my existing .SRT file with all its time codes based on the running length of the old movie, without manually editing the location of every single caption. Is this correct?

Charles

You are in a better position. Use google to search for a subtitle editor, shifter, or resync tool, many out there. You can then write out your srt file from PD, shift everything the 9 seconds, and then read in again.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2020 07:58

Henmarsh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2019 07:10 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

You are in a better position. Use google to search for a subtitle editor, shifter, or resync tool, many out there. You can then write out your srt file from PD, shift everything the 9 seconds, and then read in again.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, your advice is spot-on. I found a couple of on-line services that should do the job just fine. You've saved me a load of work!

Charles
Vissersdijk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2020 13:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your wise words. That is indeed the best solution.

Not using Power Director, but other software for subtitles is definitely the best solution.

After a lot of trying to use the subtitle room, I concluded that only useful function in the Subtitle Room is the Load SRT file.

And after that, of course, adjust each time the font colour and the position.
But that is annoying, but for so far I see that is the only weak point of Power Director until now.
It is an amazing Product, and I am happy with it.