Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Alignment issues in PD16
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 26, 2018 06:29 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
I have been putting together a number of clips for my friends band.

Some of the clips have effects added some do not. What I noticed several times is that the effects do not align exactly with the frame.

To try and explain better

If a clip starts at say 3.10.05 on the timeline, the previous clip ended at 3.10.04.

I split the compiled video at this point and then insert and align the effect to this split marker.

Rejoining the clips and going through frame by frame ie clicking back from 3.10.05 to 3.10.04 for some reason the effect shows in 3.10.04 also

This is then compounded looking at the timeline when further effects are added.

Is there something obvious I am missing when aligning effects - as can be seen in the image both the effects (posterise and beating) both infact started correctly at frame located at 3.10.05 but looking at them visually on the timeline this is not the case

This was not a one off occurrence and happened several times.
[Thumb - pd16error.jpg]
 Filename
pd16error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I have not seen that behavior, to me it sounds like you have a 1 frame gap between clips. I say that because of this statement:

"If a clip starts at say 3.10.05 on the timeline, the previous clip ended at 3.10.04."

If one splits or butts two clips, the end frame of one is at 3:10:05 the beginning frame of the next clip is also at 3:10:05 timecode, anything else leaves a gap. If looking at preview in clip mode, at this 3:10:05 one gets the pic associated with that particular clip. If viewing in movie mode, you usually get the pic of the second clip in the butt at this 3:10:05 timecode unless one simply toggles clip and movie mode.

You didn't capture the timeline marker to aid, but it appears you have a 1 frame gap between the two FX which would be inline with the statement that one clip ends at 3:10:04 and the next starts at 3:10:05 which for continuous clips is not true. That scenario has a 1 frame gap.

Jeff
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have not seen that behavior, to me it sounds like you have a 1 frame gap between clips. I say that because of this statement:

"If a clip starts at say 3.10.05 on the timeline, the previous clip ended at 3.10.04."

If one splits or butts two clips, the end frame of one is at 3:10:05 the beginning frame of the next clip is also at 3:10:05 timecode, anything else leaves a gap. If looking at preview in clip mode, at this 3:10:05 one gets the pic associated with that particular clip. If viewing in movie mode, you usually get the pic of the second clip in the butt at this 3:10:05 timecode unless one simply toggles clip and movie mode.

You didn't capture the timeline marker to aid, but it appears you have a 1 frame gap between the two FX which would be inline with the statement that one clip ends at 3:10:04 and the next starts at 3:10:05 which for continuous clips is not true. That scenario has a 1 frame gap.

Jeff

Hi the top effect aligns with the video clip when played back - so does the bottom one now when played back but not visually on the timeline though.

To check the effects position, I recombined the video clips and literally progress through one frame at a time, consequence of which was I eventually got the first effect totally aligned up as can be seen the image I screen grabbed,

But when I aligned the second effect with the first one, then did the frame by frame progress again as before, it showed up in the previous clip, hence having to gradually move it to the right where it ended up not aligned with the edge of the video clip which I split again or with the other effect

regards

ps. why I dont believe there is a gap between the videos is each individual video was synched with a master audio track

Incidentally the beating effect was only put in after the problem surfaced. It was another visual effect which was apparent on the playback, whereas obviously beating would not stand out frame by frame. I put that in because I couldnt put the visual effect in

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 25. 2020 10:48

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi the top effect aligns with the video clip when played back - so does the bottom one now when played back but not visually on the timeline though.

To check the effects position, I recombined the video clips and literally progress through one frame at a time, consequence of which was I eventually got the first effect totally aligned up as can be seen the image I screen grabbed,

But when I aligned the second effect with the first one, then did the frame by frame progress again as before, it showed up in the previous clip, hence having to gradually move it to the right where it ended up not aligned with the edge of the video clip which I split again or with the other effect

regards

ps. why I dont believe there is a gap between the videos is each individual video was synched with a master audio track

Incidentally the beating effect was only put in after the problem surfaced. It was another visual effect which was apparent on the playback, whereas obviously beating would not stand out frame by frame. I put that in because I couldnt put the visual effect in

Hard to say without a look at exactly what FX you are using, PD know to do strange things with transitions and effects.

But, as far as beating would not stand out frame by frame, yes it certainly will. One can easily see if you overlap same footage with transparency, so at time 0:00:00, start of clip and start of the beat frequency, obviously no change as this effect has a frequency, at first frame in, a beat effect as shown in the attached pic with misaligned overlays from the beat effect. Timeline at frame level and 1 frame in beat has an effect. With sensitivity cranked up one can easily see the beat shift. This beat effect will increase and reduce to have aligned frames again at 2sec interval for a frequency of 5, 1 sec for 10, so on.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD16_FXAlign.png]
 Filename
PD16_FXAlign.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
956 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hard to say without a look at exactly what FX you are using, PD know to do strange things with transitions and effects.

But, as far as beating would not stand out frame by frame, yes it certainly will. One can easily see if you overlap same footage with transparency, so at time 0:00:00, start of clip and start of the beat frequency, obviously no change as this effect has a frequency, at first frame in, a beat effect as shown in the attached pic with misaligned overlays from the beat effect. Timeline at frame level and 1 frame in beat has an effect. With sensitivity cranked up one can easily see the beat shift. This beat effect will increase and reduce to have aligned frames again at 2sec interval for a frequency of 5, 1 sec for 10, so on.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input on this - Im going to experiment a bit more with this and come back to this thread when identified a few more things

If it had been once through the video I could accept a bit of human error, but several times was pushing the boundaries which prompted the initial question

I think the biggest pain with effects are the Fade ones when doing music as they have a tendency to shunt the synched music and video out of alignment - but at least I know to look for that now

regards
Andrew
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input on this - Im going to experiment a bit more with this and come back to this thread when identified a few more things

If it had been once through the video I could accept a bit of human error, but several times was pushing the boundaries which prompted the initial question

I think the biggest pain with effects are the Fade ones when doing music as they have a tendency to shunt the synched music and video out of alignment - but at least I know to look for that now

regards
Andrew

Yes, definitely be careful with the transitions. What they do with a independent music track and synced content has different consequences if "overlap" or "cross" transition behavior is used. For simply fade one can also use the timeline transparency with keyframes or just do the fade as a post on one clip and a pre on the next clip, two transitions vs one.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2020 16:05

Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, definitely be careful with the transitions. What they do with a independent music track and synced content has different consequences if "overlap" or "cross" transition behavior is used. For simply fade one can also use the timeline transparency with keyframes or just do the fade as a post on one clip and a pre on the next clip, two transitions vs one.

Jeff

Yes its so easy to overlook such issues until you realise they exist particularly when there are numerous clips

I even tried unlinking the music track, and just cutting the overlap video section a bit longer to have an overlay type fadfe, but it refused to work as I had hoped - in the end as you suggested I discovered that it was best to put the fades on both tracks, the fact that the fades can be shortened independently as well was a good find

regards
Andrew