Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18 won't use dedicated graphics card
Murrin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 12, 2020 15:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am using PowerDirector 18 on a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 with an Nvidia dedicated graphics card and an i7 processor and 8GB of RAM.

The problem I am encountering is that PowerDirector won't use the dedicated graphics card. I went into the Nvidia Control Panel and changed the 3D setting so that the default setting is that the Nvidia graphis card will always be used. And I applied that setting. But when, in the Nvidia Control Panel, I go to program-specific settings, when I choose PowerDirector (pdr.exe), "Integrated graphics" is automatically selected, and the bar is grayed out, so I am not allowed to change it to the Nvidia dedicated graphics card.

I looked around, and it appears that this restriction is imposed by Windows - not by CyberLink, Dell, or Nvidia. (Even someone with an AMD graphics card was having the same problem). I also read that in some cases there is an option in the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics, but not in Dell Inspiron laptops. I checked just in case and wasn't able to find an option in the BIOS of my computer to disable the integrated graphics.

I'm posting this just to double check if there is anything I can do that I haven't found or thought of yet. The only reason I even looked into this problem is because PowerDirector froze and I had to force quit. Right before I force quit, I checked in the task manager, and found that the CPU usage was at 100%. (The integrated Intel graphics come from the CPU, right? Or am I wrong on that). Anyway, I'm working on a project where I'll be combining 16 videos at once, so I was expecting to be able to use the dedicated graphics card. I guess I'll just 1) make sure to save the project every 2 seconds in case the program crashes (I do that sometimes anyway), and 2) maybe lower the resolution of some of the videos used, since I have 16 videos, some of which are 1080p, and I'll be saving this no larger than 4k obviously (and probably actually smaller than that), so the 1080p videos won't be needed.

Anyway, just checking if there are any solutions I have not seen or heard yet that would allow me to use the dedicated graphics card with this program?

Thanks
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I am using PowerDirector 18 on a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 with an Nvidia dedicated graphics card and an i7 processor and 8GB of RAM.

There are countless threads about laptops and this issue. Either get a desktop or... a laptop that has a dedicated multiplexer switch on output.

Otherwise, the Intel GPU won't pass the NVENC tasks to the nvidia encoder, regardless what you set in the options. Those options are only for the GPU CUDA cores, different from the decoding/encoding ASIC.

If you have the option in BIOS to disable the Intel GPU, then you have a laptop with a hardware switch.
Examples from: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/all-laptops-with-a-mux-switch.813459/
Dell Precision 7530
Dell Precision 7730
MSI WT75
Lenovo ThinkPad P72
Lenovo Legion Y545

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 12. 2020 16:16