Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ColorDirector 8 Ultra not saving Motion Tracker edit to PowerDirector 18 Ultimate
RChandler3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2020 20:46 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Before I start, I'm completely new to all of this so bear with me...

So here's the situation: The goal is for the entire clip to be black and white, EXCEPT for the yellow caution tape. I want all other objects with yellow to be black and white as well. I tried seeing if I can get the Motion Tracker function to do the trick for me by accessing ColorDirector via the Tools menu in PowerDirector, only when I finish editing with the Brush Mask in CDR and hit Back, it doesn't show the changes in PDR.

Before I learned about the Motion Tracker, I tried to get the desired effect by entering CDR and turning down the saturation on everything but yellow...which ALMOST worked, but 1) I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the yellow on top of the toy while preserving the color in the caution tape, and 2) The yellow tint from the sunlight was still on the ground, preventing it from going black and white.

I've been going in circles with this all night, can anyone point me in the right direction?? Like I said I'm new to this so I'm at a complete loss at the moment. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here's the clip in question:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ory4nv7zaj4fny/MVI_2100.MP4?
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Try this

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2020 23:19

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
RChandler3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. I'd actually watched a similar video prior to posting the question, but still wasn't able to get the results I was looking for. I move the Color Range slider incrementally until it's just enough for the caution tape to be filled in with yellow, but by then a lot of the red has returned to the seats, as well as the yellow tint on the ground. There's also the issue of the yellow on the top of the object, I don't want that there either. I'm attaching a snapshot of how it looks, it's not too far off from the original...

Here's what I think could work, if I could just get PowerDirector and ColorDirector to cooperate with each other: I could put two instances of the clip on the Playlist, one on Track 1 and the other on Track 2. I make the one on the bottom layer completely black and white, caution tape included. The one on the top layer, I open that up in CDR via the Tools menu in PDR, and go through the Motion Tracking process to isolate JUST the tape (in color) from everything else, then move that back over to PDR so that the isolated color tape is sitting on top of the black and white clip. Problem is, nothing I do in the Motion Tracking in CDR is registering in PDR. Anything else I've done in CDR since tinkering around with it after buying it a couple days ago, all I've had to do is hit the Back button and it'll go back to PDR where all changes are reflected. That hasn't been the case with the Motion Tracker though. Is there something else I need to be doing after the Motion Tracker, do I need to completely cut everything else from the clip besides the tape or something?
[Thumb - SnapShot 2.jpg]
 Filename
SnapShot 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
368 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2020 23:17

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So here's the situation: The goal is for the entire clip to be black and white, EXCEPT for the yellow caution tape. I want all other objects with yellow to be black and white as well. I tried seeing if I can get the Motion Tracker function to do the trick for me by accessing ColorDirector via the Tools menu in PowerDirector, only when I finish editing with the Brush Mask in CDR and hit Back, it doesn't show the changes in PDR.

ColorDirector Motion tracker/Green screen processed clip in track 2. PiP Designer/Chroma key used. Original clip in track 1 - Color Saturation set to 0.
 Filename
RChandler3.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
ColorDirector motion tracker mask used.
 Filesize
4240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
435 time(s)
RChandler3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

ColorDirector Motion tracker/Green screen processed clip in track 2. PiP Designer/Chroma key used. Original clip in track 1 - Color Saturation set to 0.

PERFECT, thank you! The green screen/chroma key are new to me, but I can't wait to dive in and get familiar with them!

One last small question for now, unless I run into issues...would you or anyone else have any pointers for speeding up the whole masking process for the Motion Tracker?? I'd really like for the entire tape to stay yellow for the whole clip if I could, but so far the only way I've found to do that is to go frame by frame editing the tape on each one. Even on a short three-second clip, with 30 frames/second that's not something to I'm even REMOTELY trying to do...especially considering I'm wanting to do this same effect on multiple clips in the same project. I mean if I have absolutely no other option then I guess I'll have to do what I have to do, but if there's any way to avoid that headache I'm open to any and all input on the matter. Thanks in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 11. 2020 01:14