Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Render From Cyber-link Changing The Color of my GoPro Footage unintentionally.
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2020 23:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
After rendering out a project with h264. The colors of the the original footage are NOT maintained. Footage is rendered to bright.

Attached original file below.
Camera used gopro hero 8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2aow8gtijquqyd/PCQE3259.MP4?dl=0

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2020 00:01

AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Did you have Fast video rendering technology enabled when you produced the video? If yes, try rendering it without that selected first to see if that makes a difference.

Ash
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you have Fast video rendering technology enabled when you produced the video? If yes, try rendering it without that selected first to see if that makes a difference.

Ash

Tried with it off as well. Same results. Thanks tho.
If you could download the source footage and do a render you should see the same results. This is most definetley a bug.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2020 00:08

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you could download the source footage and do a render you should see the same results. This is most definetley a bug.

The way to do that is to upload both your source clip and what PD produced so we can do a side-by-side comparison.

This isn't a commonly reported problem, so producing on different hardware may not show the same results that you're seeing. That's why I'd like to see exactly what your PD-produced clip looks like.

Also, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and post your DxDiag test results. It'll help to see the details on how your system is configured.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2020 01:01

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I know it's late in the Western Hemisphere, so I ran 4 quick producing runs using the Best Matched Format from the Profile Analyzer.

There weren't any obviously brighter clips to my eyes, but when I laid them all on the timeline and masked off and staggered the leftmost portion of each clip, it became obvious that hardware encoding did in fact noticeably brighten the produced video:

The SVRT clip is (and should be) identical to the source, and the CPU-produced clip also matches as far as brightness is concerned.

However, both the QuickSync and nVidia-produced clips are clearly brighter, so whatever is causing the issue seems to be with how PD hands off the encoding to the GPU, rather than there being an issue with the actual hardware or its associated driver. If that's the case, I imagine videos produced with AMD GPUs would also be too bright.

I've packed the project with all my test clips, and you can download everything from this OneDrive folder.

I think this should be reported to Cyberlink, and I don't know if it's related to the latest patch or not. Maybe someone with the previous version can produce a GPU-encoded version and see.

Cyberlinks22490, please contact CL tech support here, and be sure to include a link to this thread so they can see what's happened and also download the relevant clips.

I'm puzzled as to why AshWilliams' suggestion didn't make a difference, though, so a workaround might be to use the NewBlue Gamma Corrector FX in combination with the Fix/Enhance tool.

I can exactly match everything except the black of the boat on a GPU-produced clip to the original if I set the Fix/Enhance Exposure setting to 86, and then set the NBGC FX Expand setting at 136 and Compress to 0. You may want to play around to get just the right look.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for following up! I will report it.
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update:

Figured out exactly what is changing the color.
The source media is 29.97 frames per second.
If you output in that framerate the color matches exactly.
However when rendering out in 59.94 frames a second the contrast changes! ( which it shouldent)
Strangely this only seems to be happening with footage from the gopro, as other media taken with my iphone contrast is NOT affected by the framerate change.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2020 03:52

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Update: Figured out exactly what is changing the color.
The source media is 29.97 frames per second.
If you output in that framerate the color matches exactly.
However when rendering out in 59.94 frames a second the contrast changes! ( which it shouldent)
Strangely this only seems to be happening with footage from the gopro, as other media taken with my iphone contrast is NOT affected by the framerate change.

That's an interesting observation, but that's the opposite of what I see. All the clips in the OneDrive folder match the 29.97fps original because they were produced with the Best Matched profile, which will always match the source clip's frame rate (if PD supports it).

If instead I double the framerate to 59.94, the nVidia-produced clip pretty much exactly matches the source, but the QuickSync-produced clip is actually just a shade darker. I've overlaid a strip of the higher frame rate clips on the original comparison image:

If your system is producing opposite results, it would really be helpful to see your DxDiag results. You'll have to supply them when you request support anyway.
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank You. Heres a simpler clip so you can see the contrast changes. ( Taken with GoPro Hero 8 ) Fast video rendering used for all. Contrast change only happens when rendered framerate is above or below source. ( see below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gihft9deal2r0cr/Original.MP4?dl=0

Original File Screenshot
30 fps render
60fps render ( contrast change)

https://ibb.co/d7byJrB
https://ibb.co/8zDgGVD
https://ibb.co/PMxvXM5

Hopefully the team will get this sorted soon.

Additionally I rendered out a source gopro footage shot at 59.94 to 29.97; and as expected the contrast changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5z4p5a2f7242mv/GX010048.MP4?dl=0
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)

This message was edited 17 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2020 20:25

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag results. You've got a reasonably new nVidia driver (v442.59), but you might want to do a clean install of the v442.19 Studio Driver (download here). If you want the latest Game Ready driver, go with v445.75.

Probably more important is that you're not running the latest version of PD18. There's a sticky at the top of the PD18 & 365 forum index with the link. Update that first and see what happens.

Also, it's a good idea to use the Preview button below the forum text box before posting so you can verify that everything you're trying to post will come through. Unfortunately your screenshot links got mangled, and you can go back and edit and either remove the formatting on the 1st and 3rd links (only keep the URL portion) or use the inline image icon to embed them like I've done in my posts.

Again, using the Preview button will ensure that your post is readable/useable by others.
Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fixed the links. Updated to latest driver. Still same issues.

Even rendering from 29.97 to 30fps or 59.97 to 60 changes the contrast.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2020 18:59

Cyberlinks22490 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Team is working on it and was able to reproduce the bug.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2020 16:48