Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SAVING
KingKing2020 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2020 19:34 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new and do not know where to post this question or even if I'm wording the question correctly. When I make a video and save it. There is no way to change the save as type. It only saves as type: POWERDIRECTORSCRIPT. And that format can not be transferred online. It will not let me download it to Facebook or Youtube. I need advice and/or assistance.
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
You aren't saving your video, you are saving a PowerDirector project. To output your new file, you need to render all the components, producing a new file.

See this tutorial for help: https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software-ultimate/217/hd-video-export-tutorial

It's from an older version, but everything is pretty much the same in the latest version.

Ash
KingKing2020 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You aren't saving your video, you are saving a PowerDirector project. To output your new file, you need to render all the components, producing a new file.

See this tutorial for help: https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software-ultimate/217/hd-video-export-tutorial

It's from an older version, but everything is pretty much the same in the latest version.

Ash

Hello Ash, thank you for your quick response. But I'm sorry it did not help me save my video. Yes, it was an older version and it showed things like resolution and changing some things, but it stopped short of discussing how to transform the PowerDirector project into a video that can be used. Can you assist me with that?
AshWilliams [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hello Ash, thank you for your quick response. But I'm sorry it did not help me save my video. Yes, it was an older version and it showed things like resolution and changing some things, but it stopped short of discussing how to transform the PowerDirector project into a video that can be used. Can you assist me with that?

As I said, you don't save the video. Click the Produce button at the top of the window. That is where you need to be to output your video.

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2020 22:53

KingKing2020 [Avatar]
[Post New]

As I said, you don't save the video. Click the Produce button at the top of the window. That is where you need to be to output your video.

Ash

Well, that was the first thing I tried and it didn't work. Thanks anyway
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
KingKing2020 - Think about this. Say that you want to drive a car from Los Angeles to New York City. In the Edit module you create a roadmap save it as a .pds file. That is the roadmap you created and save. You want to go to New York with the roadmap you created and saved.

The next step is to drive the car to New York. That is the Produle module. You want to drive there using the roadmap you created and saved in the Edit module so you won’t get lost and drive aimlessly.

As AshWilliams pointed out, you saved a roadmap, the powerdirector script file. You still need to drive the car to New York by using the Produce module.

Hope this helps...
KingKing2020 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote KingKing2020 - Think about this. Say that you want to drive a car from Los Angeles to New York City. In the Edit module you create a roadmap save it as a .pds file. That is the roadmap you created and save. You want to go to New York with the roadmap you created and saved.

The next step is to drive the car to New York. That is the Produle module. You want to drive there using the roadmap you created and saved in the Edit module so you won’t get lost and drive aimlessly.

As AshWilliams pointed out, you saved a roadmap, the powerdirector script file. You still need to drive the car to New York by using the Produce module.

Hope this helps...

Great analogy. But sorry it wasn't helpful. I do understand the process but I don't see away to change the Save as file. They only give one option. It does not give an option to save it as anything else.
AshWilliams [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great analogy. But sorry it wasn't helpful. I do understand the process but I don't see away to change the Save as file. They only give one option. It does not give an option to save it as anything else.

It's hard to believe that you are still talking about saving a file after all this. Everything you need to know (and more) is in this thread now. I told you that .PDS is a PowerDirector project file (it is an XML file basically I believe). The tutorial I shared shows you how to output your video and even goes in some detail about the some of the different formats and how to edit video profiles. It is obvious you didn't watch it all the way through.

You can't just save a video file into a different format like it is an image file. If you can't understand that, there is nothing anyone can do for you unfortunately.

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2020 01:30

KingKing2020 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It's hard to believe that you are still talking about saving a file after all this. Everything you need to know (and more) is in this thread now. I told you that .PDS is a PowerDirector project file (it is an XML file basically I believe). The tutorial I shared shows you how to output your video and even goes in some detail about the some of the different formats and how to edit video profiles. It is obvious you didn't watch it all the way through.

You can't just save a video file into a different format like it is an image file. If you can't understand that, there is nothing anyone can do for you unfortunately.

Ash

WOW!! After all that the real person comes out. No need to get rude. BTW, I did watch the whole video, and what they showed in the video I already had tried, and it did not work. As far as terminology (saving a file) I STATED FROM THE BEGINNING THAT I DIDNT KNOW THE TERMINOLOGY OR IF I WAS WORDING IT RIGHT. Sorry if you can't understand that I tried all of this before I decided to post in this forum! Thanks for time.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps you could explain what steps you took and what didn't work? Also what you you would like to do with the file, including what type you want.

What everyone has been saying is correct. There is no save as, when it comes to the video, only the PowerDirector file.

If you look at the picture I have attached you can see that it's the buttons at the top that determine the "filetype" or video format.

When you press the start button the program "saves" the video in the format (filetype) you have selected in the folder you have indicated on the right, (it defaults to a PowerDirector directory).

It's done this way so that the original clip(s) are unchanged (non-destructive), and you can produce a number of different video types from the source material.

Hope this helps.

Phil
[Thumb - Produce.jpg]
 Filename
Produce.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
624 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

WOW!! After all that the real person comes out. No need to get rude. BTW, I did watch the whole video, and what they showed in the video I already had tried, and it did not work. As far as terminology (saving a file) I STATED FROM THE BEGINNING THAT I DIDNT KNOW THE TERMINOLOGY OR IF I WAS WORDING IT RIGHT. Sorry if you can't understand that I tried all of this before I decided to post in this forum! Thanks for time.

Hi,

I think that members are rightly confused by what you are not doing - but that may be because you are so fresh to editing that you haven't learnt or experienced the overall concept.

In very straightforward terms PDR is like a word processor.

With a word processor you compose your words into a document on your screen but then you have to print them for other folk to see them. You can call your screen document what you like and it has all the instructions - italic, bold, large font, green font etc. - and you can save it for further editing. But you still have to print your document to send it somewhere for others to read.

So you can have many versions of the screen document (Save As) but the printed document can't be changed once printed, if you want a change youe have to print it again from the next version of the screen document.

.pds files are the equivalent of the screen document. To show it to others (as a video) you have to produce (print) your video to a format that other people can view.

So you must first get your raw clips, you must edit and compose your video - and you can save this edit many times during the process, with different names for different versions - and then you must Produce your edits into a video format - which you can then share with others.

Focusing on Save As will never get your edits into a video format - it doesn't work like that.

As Philwild says It would be useful if you outlined the steps you take and members can then assist properly.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do