Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Long motion tracking
VanSolo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 06, 2019 12:48 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Has anyone done a motion track of 5 minutes or more and successfully attached a picture or video ?

any responses are appreciated
Thanks
Mc
VanSolo [Avatar]
[Post New]
If anyone can successfully track this included 7minute video (3.5mb ) and attach picture,
at least I would know it's achievable.

If I do the track first, it wont let me add a picture
if I add the picture first .. then track, it just puts the picture on the timeline with no keyframes.

Thanks
Mc
 Filename
7_minutes.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3699 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
352 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If anyone can successfully track this included 7minute video (3.5mb ) and attach picture,
at least I would know it's achievable.

It does seem that there is a limit to motion tracking to be less than 2 minutes.I have been able to add 3 additional motion trackers at about 1.5 minute each. Tried titles and moving videos and tracking is fine if the motion tracker interval is a minute long and the video used is several minutes long.

For a seven minute tracking it would be safe to use say 4 to 7 motion trackers. See the attached. Motion tracking works well with titles and videos. There are users that have a faster cpu, more memory, and a better graphics card that may want to try the motion tracking.and post the results here. Let us hear from them.

You may also want to contact Cyberlink support and report this issue to them and let us know what they say about this since I cannot achieve a 7 minute motion tracking successfully without using multiple motion trackers.
 Filename
20200104092841.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Motion tracking using Video assets
 Filesize
857 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
362 time(s)
VanSolo [Avatar]
[Post New]

It does seem that there is a limit to motion tracking to be less than 2 minutes.I have been able to add 3 additional motion trackers at about 1.5 minute each. Tried titles and moving videos and tracking is fine if the motion tracker interval is a minute long and the video used is several minutes long.

For a seven minute tracking it would be safe to use say 4 to 7 motion trackers. See the attached. Motion tracking works well with titles and videos. There are users that have a faster cpu, more memory, and a better graphics card that may want to try the motion tracking.and post the results here. Let us hear from them.

You may also want to contact Cyberlink support and report this issue to them and let us know what they say about this since I cannot achieve a 7 minute motion tracking successfully without using multiple motion trackers.

Tomasc you're a legend, thankyou .. I thought I was going mad

I currently have an ongoing ticket open with support.

I've tried 3 different laptops and currently using an I5 with 8 gb Ram
It breezes through HD previews and renders.

I can just about get a 3 minute track to keyframe a picture and add it to the timeline
but the lag it creates just renders the program impractical.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This is a fascinating bug, and as has been the case with many PD head-scratchers over the years, it involves a binary number. This time, the magic (cursed) number is 4096 (i.e. 2^12).

If the maximum number of Motion Tracker frames exceeds this amount, the tracker no longer works properly. With this 25fps clip, the problem will occur if the tracker goes beyond 2m 43s (163 seconds * 25fps = 4075).

Once that boundary is crossed, two things happen: First is that the tracking object (title, pic or FX) will remain stuck at its inital location and will not move at all; second is that the MT timeline track will extend the entire length of the source clip, even when the actual tracker's duration is much shorter.

In this screenshot, you can see that the actual tracker length is 2:47 (4175 tracking fames), while the MT clip on track 2 of the timeline runs for the full 7 minutes of the source clip:

I've created 2 packed projects in this OneDrive folder, and it should be very easy to verify that they each behave as I've described.

One other thing to keep in mind is that once a clip has been motion tracked, the tracker will always follow that clip and will appear in completely unrelated PD projects if you ever use that clip again. See this thread for all the gory details , and that's why I used two copies of the source clip in the two packed projects.

VanSolo, please include the URL of this post in your next correspondence with Tech Support so they'll see what's going on here.

As a workaround, please use this table for determining the maximum duration of a single motion tracker for each type of clip:

Clip FPS Max MT Duration
24 2m 50s
25 2m 43s
30 2m 16s
50 1m 21s
60 1m 8s

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2020 15:35

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
VanSolo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This is a fascinating bug ...

Thanks Optodata

It's already a bit of a 2 part work around to try and achieve pseudo-rotational tracking,
If I have to split both elements into a further 4 each ... I'm might just look for something that does two point tracking.

If it was a one off I'd power through ... but it might be a regular gig.

I will add the link in the support section when it's my turn to speak again

Thanks Again
Mc
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if this will help in any way, but you're free to have multiple motion trackers in a single clip, or you can split the clip into 4 tracks of roughly 2:30 each and have the tracker go the full length in each one.

One advantage of doing it that way is that you can sync and fade the tracked object across the clip boundaries, which can help make the transitions visually seamless. Another option would be to make the cuts right when the tracked object stops or starts, so nobody will notice a possible jump stemming from a slightly different alignment.

Just remember that you'll probably want to make at least 4 copies of the source clip, so you won't run into the "permanent tracker attached" issue from the linked post.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

VanSolo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't know if this will help...

Thanks Optodata,
... duct tape at the ready
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The max tracker time limit is much less than shown in the chart with a 60 fps timeline for a 25 fps video.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote The max tracker time limit is much less than shown in the chart with a 60 fps timeline for a 25 fps video.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that. In fact, with OP's 7 minute 25fps clip, if I set the timeline to 60fps I can track up to 1m 21s, which is more than the 1m 8s I expected for a 60fps clip. The tool fails if I go beyond 1m 25s or so.

How short is the 60fps tracking on your system? Perhaps it's at least partially a resource limitation...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2020 13:39

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that. In fact, with OP's 7 minute 25fps clip, if I set the timeline to 60fps I can track up to 1m 21s, which is more than the 1m 8s I expected for a 60fps clip. The tool fails if I go beyond 1m 25s or so.

How short is the 60fps tracking on your system? Perhaps it's at least partially a resource limitation...

The same OP’s 25fps clip work between 1 min 30 sec and 2 min. on mine with a 58.94 fps timeline. The shorter the motion tracker duration the more accurate it is at the end. That is why I suggested 4 to 7 motion trackers to do the job.

In previous version PD14, found that the motion indicator stops at 2 min. 43 sec. for the 25 fps video so it is easy to make the same chart that optodata created. I set the motion tracker to 1 sec. Less and able to have motion tracking for 2 min. 42 sec. On a 59.94 fps timeline.

After 4 years of motion tracking in PD, only a few user found out about the maximum motion tracker time duration. This may be because it is easy to see it in PD14 and make the proper correction to the motion tracker duration. That is lost in PD17.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found that in PD17 if one let the step 1 Track go the full 7 minutes on that 25 fps clip then the motion tracker will of course not work. There is no need to delete this tracker. Simply click on the tracker place the mouse cursor at the right end where it turns to a double headed arrow and click to drag it to the left to about 1 second less than the 2 min. 43 sec. shown in optodata’s created chart and it will work just fine. You can add a title and it will work. I could not add any video clip and get it to work like I showed earlier using this newly found method.