Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Recording issue with multiple monitor systems
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've encountered some issues when using Screen Recorder2 and 4 when trying to capture non-full screen areas. All screenshots here are from SR4.

At the core of these issues is the setting that determines which monitor SR2/SR4 will be recording. This option makes perfect sense when recording full screen, but there are problems with how it's implemented when non-full screen options are chosen:

The good news is that the primary monitor is highlighted in the yellow dotted outline whenever SP is launched, and as long as you make sure that whatever you're recording is located on that monitor, everything will work normally.

The bad news is that nothing alerts you that the recorder will record a blank video (with system audio) if you choose any non-full screen option on another monitor. The only way to get the correct video from there is to also change this setting in SR.

The UX will let you click on any app or window on any monitor (when you click on "Lock to app"), and it will happily allow you to draw a custom recording rectangle (if you click on "Custom"), even when you do that on another monitor that SR will not record. The yellow dotted outline is clearly shown and there is no indication whatsover that you're now completely wasting your time.

Everything looks normal, and it isn't until after you finish the recording that you'll find that the video is completely black because you didn't change the SR monitor setting to Secondary or Third.

It seems to me that SR2/4 should do one of two things in these situations:

1. Prevent the user from selecting any object or creating any recording window on any monitor besides the one that it's currently set to record. This will force the user to go to the Settings menu and manually change Monitor setup to the correct display

2. Alllow the user to draw or select anywhere (as is currently the case), but then have SR2/4 automatically adjust the monitor setting to record the user specified content

Either approach would be better than the current situation, and I would strongly vote for the second option, since that's how the app appears to work right now. Also, it doesn't require the user to stop what they're doing and dig down into the settings to change monitors.
[Thumb - Lock to app recording fail.jpg]
 Filename
Lock to app recording fail.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Non-primary monitor = FAIL
 Filesize
410 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
[Thumb - Lock to app recording success.jpg]
 Filename
Lock to app recording success.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Primary monitor = OK
 Filesize
380 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
62 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This was a nightmare to originally post. I tried 4 times using 2 different browsers, and would even see the topic briefly appear on the forum, only to disappear when the upload finally failed.

It turns out that my two attachments were originally PNGs that were 2.4MB and 1.2MB in size, and apparently the forum choked on them. I finally got this posted by switching to much smaller JPG versions, and it would be SO helpful to have any amount of feedback from the forum software for situations like this, perhaps a simple message stating "Attachment size is too large"

Anyway, I have reported the main SR issue to CL on ticket #CS002087531

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Bronze_F [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2015 21:31 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I found the Custom mode recorded the video fine from my custom selected area no matter on which monitor (need not to change the monitor setup settings first). Perhaps you can use this mode for recording app window as a workaround.
optodata
[Post New]
Which version of Screen Recorder are you using? As I wrote in the OP, SR4 records a blank window on the non-selected monitor when I choose Custom:

I've attached the recording and you can see it's completely blank
 Filename
20191216093211.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
blank custom recording
 Filesize
2565 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
873 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

Bronze_F [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2015 21:31 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
My version is 4.2.0.7437.

I'm wondering that the condition might not occur if you record the desktop (custom area) directly, but not the UWP game screen.
Screen Recorder has a game support list. Certain game screen might not be recordable because of compatibility.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23822&prodId=372&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=
optodata
[Post New]
Quote My version is 4.2.0.7437.

Maybe the bug has only appeared in the latest version, which is 4.2.3.8860.

The nice thing about the Custom frame is that it (is supposed to) record whatever pixels are in that location on the screen, regardless of whether they're coming from an app or the desktop. If I move the same game to the primary monitor, everything works as expected:

Filename
20191217152102.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Primary monitor custom = OK
 Filesize
1230 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
860 time(s)