Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transferring custom templates
Chrissyc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2012 06:12 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
How do I transfer custom templates, such as titles, to an updated version of powerdirector? In the past I have lost all custom templates when updating. I now know I can re-download and templates I have downloaded from Directorzone, but what about the title templates I've created?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I transfer custom templates, such as titles, to an updated version of powerdirector? In the past I have lost all custom templates when updating.

I see at least three options here.

1. Don't uninstal your previous version of PD.

2. 2. Share your custom templates on the DirectorZone. Download them to the pc. Delete them from the DZ afterwards. Don't leave trash to clutter up the DZ for others to see. Uninstal your PD previous version.

3. Use PDTemplate Packer from the PDTemplate zone to transfer those custom templates you made and then you can safely uninstall your previous version of PD : https://oneclickmobi.com/powerdirector-templates/ .

There may be other methods but I haven't seen any response to this post in the last 3 days. Good Luck. Happy Cyber Monday!!
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much for your reply, I was beginning to think it was perhaps a silly question.

I don't recall uninstalling previous versions in the past when I have upgraded, but perhaps I did, because when I upgraded from PD16 to 18 this time, the custom title templates are all still there!! The whole process was different this time, so maybe that had something to do with it.

However, perhaps someone could help me further - these custom title templates are still under a folder called 16 on my C drive under documents (presumably PD18 has a way of finding them), but I'm worried about leaving them there for future updates. If I move them into the new folder called '18', will my current PD still find them there? Or will it mess things up?!!

Thank you for the tip about templates on DZ - I always assumed once you uploaded, there would be no way of removing them later.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you so much for your reply, I was beginning to think it was perhaps a silly question.

I don't recall uninstalling previous versions in the past when I have upgraded, but perhaps I did, because when I upgraded from PD16 to 18 this time, the custom title templates are all still there!! The whole process was different this time, so maybe that had something to do with it.

If you did not uninstall the previous version of PD16 then you should be able to open PD16 now. If those PD16 shortcuts are missing on your pc then that means possibly that you choose to let the PD18 installation uninstall your previous version PD16 during the installation dialog. Nothing is ever uninstalled without your permission.

If you find that you don’t have the PD16 along with your PD18 then post back and either I or someone else will post on what you can do at this point.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote However, perhaps someone could help me further - these custom title templates are still under a folder called 16 on my C drive under documents (presumably PD18 has a way of finding them), but I'm worried about leaving them there for future updates. If I move them into the new folder called '18', will my current PD still find them there? Or will it mess things up?!

I suggest not making any changes. Assuming that you let PD install everything in the default folders, later versions of PD should know where to look and should automatically include all previous content. If you move them now, neither PD16 not 18 will know where they've gone.

One thing you can try is to reinstall PD16 and see if it sees your custom content. Then uninstall PD18 and resinstall it, and it should see the custom content as well.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you both for your help on this topic.

I do still have PD16 installed, and I guess that's why PD18 can still see my custom title templates. When updating previous versions, if I had been asked if I wanted to uninstall the oldest one first, I would have gone with the default or suggested answer, and I guess that's why I've had the problem of losing custom files in the past.

Just for information for anyone else reading this, I was worried about leaving my previous custom templates in an old PD folder under documents on my C drive - even though my 18 update can still see them, so I experimented with moving just a couple to the new default folder that PD18 installed during the update. And to my surprise, they are still accessible using PD18 - I closed everything down just to make sure. I have since moved all of my custom templates over to the '18' folder, leaving nothing in the '16' one, and PD18 seems to have been able to follow their new path and still keep them accessible in PD18. However, they are of course no longer available in my old PD16.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your feedback. You moved the 16.0 My Titles and it’s sub folders to replace that in the 18.0 My Titles which has no subfolders yet. Yes, that does work. I am guessing that you now want to uninstall PD16. You made a wise decision in the beginning to not uninstall PD16 when prompted while installing the PD18 upgrade. You know what to do the next time with an upgrade. There are always those who uninstall the previous version first and find that they can’t install the upgrade and then ask for help. Congratulations. Well Done!!! laughingsealedsurprised