Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AACS Key Question
c64z80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2019 12:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi community,

I have a few questions that have been hovering around my mind for a short while, and I can't seem to find any conculsive answers anywhere else, unless I'm just not typing in the right search terms, but I'm hoping that I can get some answers here.

1.) According to Sony, their AACS key for the PS3 console expires after 12-18 months and this is one of the reasons why it requres peroidic updates, even if you watch old bluray movies released before said key was updated.

So I think from this, when Sony drops support, people will then only have this long to play Bluray movies on their console.

Is the same true for Cyberlink when, in the far future, PowerDVD 19 support is dropped and updates ended? Or will you be able to keep watching your old movies on your PC for as long as you like?

2.) Does PowerDVD have a reactivation limit? Say for example you reinstall windows 10 every year, to start fresh after a major update, will PowerDVD one day just stop activating again?

3.) What are your experiences with this? Are your old versions of PowerDVD released years ago, and beyond updating, still able to play Bluray films?

I know peroidic updating is requred to continue watching new movies released, but I'm talking of bluray films in general.

Thanks in advance

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 23. 2019 03:04

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi community,

I have a few questions that have been hovering around my mind for a short while, and I can't seem to find any conculsive answers anywhere else, unless I'm just not typing in the right search terms, but I'm hoping that I can get some answers here.

1.) According to Sony, their AACS key for the PS3 console expires after 12-18 months and this is one of the reasons why it requres peroidic updates, even if you watch old bluray movies released before said key was updated.

So I think from this, when Sony drops support, people will then only have this long to play Bluray movies on their console.

Is the same true for Cyberlink when, in the far future, PowerDVD 19 support is dropped and updates ended? Or will you be able to keep watching your old movies on your PC for as long as you like?

2.) Does PowerDVD have a reactivation limit? Say for example you reinstall windows 10 every year, to start fresh after a major update, will PowerDVD one day just stop activating again?

3.) What are your experiences with this? Are your old versions of PowerDVD released years ago, and beyond updating, still able to play Bluray films?

I know peroidic updating is requred to continue watching new movies released, but I'm talking of bluray films in general.

Thanks in advance

Most of your questions can be answered in the FAQ: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79693.page

That being said, I just tried a little experiment for you. I actually still have my copy of PowerDVD 12 on a disc, so I installed it and updated it to the latest version. This version is significant, because if you look at the patch updates list, version 12 is the last version that is still supported (Check the wording on the patch updates list for 11).

I put in the first Blu-ray I had on hand, and was asked to update the keys, which I did and then the disc played. I then put in the newest Blu-ray that I have, which was released earlier this year and it played without issue in PowerDVD 12.

So hopefully this should answer all your questions. And yes there is a limit to the number of times you can activate the software from what I have learned on this forum.

Dave

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 26. 2019 21:19

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Just like physical hardware might get broken one day, forever update support is not possible for any sort of software.

The software giant like Adobe directly turned their business model into subscription, but certain features might STILL CEASE between versions even under the ongoing subscription.

That's the fact you must accept when purchase no matter a digital software or a physical hardware.

Cyberlink still has extensive support for the earlier powerdvd 12 that has been released for more than 7 years.

However, there is no truly permanent warranty on earth.
Even there is something claimed lifetime, there are always said or un-said conditions, because nothing is everlasting and keeping no change.