Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subscription? No thanks
[Post New]
I have been using PowerDirector for several years....

I prefer to 'own' the software I purchase, so doubt I will be upgrading.

I was already forced into the subscription game with Adobe, so have their video editing software at my disposal.... not sure why I would want '2' subscriptions of video editing software.

Anybody have experience with Adobe Premier Pro ? How does it compare to PowerDirector? Joe Friday - "Just the facts, Ma'am!"
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been using PowerDirector for several years....

I was already forced into the subscription game with Adobe, so have their video editing software at my disposal.... not sure why I would want '2' subscriptions of video editing software.

Anybody have experience with Adobe Premier Pro ? How does it compare to PowerDirector?

I've found over the years that owning a fully patched stand alone version of software like this is the way to go. A fully patched PD17 Ultimate remains on my computer and continues to work perfectly. I purchased PD18 Ultimate, added it to the same computer as a stand alone product and have had no issues so far. There are clearly a few bugs in it that will be addressed in an upcoming patch, but none of them have impacted me in any way at all. I guess the subscription model makes sense if you are going to be a heavy user of the product and you need the updates that are offered monthly with that model, but the rollout of PD18 365 seems to have been a disaster.

As for the Adobe product, I have no experience with that product.
[Post New]

I've found over the years that owning a fully patched stand alone version of software like this is the way to go. A fully patched PD17 Ultimate remains on my computer and continues to work perfectly. I purchased PD18 Ultimate, added it to the same computer as a stand alone product and have had no issues so far. There are clearly a few bugs in it that will be addressed in an upcoming patch, but none of them have impacted me in any way at all. I guess the subscription model makes sense if you are going to be a heavy user of the product and you need the updates that are offered monthly with that model, but the rollout of PD18 365 seems to have been a disaster.

As for the Adobe product, I have no experience with that product.

Thanks for your input, TDK.... much appreciated. Joe Friday - "Just the facts, Ma'am!"
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been using PowerDirector for several years....

Anybody have experience with Adobe Premier Pro ? How does it compare to PowerDirector?

Adobe Premiere is a powerful video editing program with lots of great features. With that being said it can be quite complex and it has a huge learning curve. I have it the old CS6 version on my machine but I never use it. Adobe only offers a subscription model while (as TDK stated) CyberLink offers a PowerDirector subscription or a stand alone license for PowerDirector. If you already have Adobe and don't mind paying the subscription you should probably stick with Adobe. If you are subscription model averse and don't need to use all of the extras on Premiere Pro you might prefer to go with PowerDirector. You can get a free trial of PowerDirector (although it is an extremely scaled down version of the product). https://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdirector-video-editing-software/download_en_US.html Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.