Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 upgrade install deletes FX from PD16
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:16 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,
I have just purchased and installed PD18 Ultimate (not 365 - still not into subscription models). I had previously purchased and installed PD16 Ultimate Suite a couple of years ago (updated to most recent fix 3424). I usually skip a version or two before upgrade.

After I had installed PD18 I noticed that two FX (BorisFx Restoration and BorisFx Lights), that were available in PD16, were deleted from my PD16 program. All the other effects, custom titles, downloaded effects etc. seem to show up in both versions. I do realize that Lights and Restoration are not included in PD18 Ultimate (as per the site comparison) but are in 365.

I do have a few projects that I am working on in PD16 that use the above noted BorisFx, but now say that the FX is missing. I have contacted customer support and they have suggested that I reinstall PD 16 Ultimate Suite and sent me links to the files to download. ( I already have my backup files on an external drive, but downloaded the suggested files anyway).

I am posting this as a reach out to the community for answers to a couple of questions before I proceed.

1) Has anyone else noticed that the 2 BorisFX were missing in PD16 after installing PD18 ? And if so were you able to retrieve them into the program somehow ?

2) In your opinion, is it wise to reinstall PD16 over the existing PD16 install ? The fear being that it may overwrite some of the common files installed by PD18, thereby downgrading the newer files.

3) Or ignore #2 and uninstall existing PD16 Suite and install fresh PD16 ? Again though same issue with overwriting PD18 files.

4) Finally - just skip all of the above and find an alternate Fx to replace what I have already done with the Boris Fx ? This may be last resort is it is quite effective for my needs, on the show.

Thank You

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2019 13:22

phillipk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2020 11:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello all,
I have just purchased and installed PD18 Ultimate (not 365 - still not into subscription models). I had previously purchased and installed PD16 Ultimate Suite a couple of years ago (updated to most recent fix 3424). I usually skip a version or two before upgrade.

After I had installed PD18 I noticed that two FX (BorisFx Restoration and BorisFx Lights), that were available in PD16, were deleted from my PD16 program. All the other effects, custom titles, downloaded effects etc. seem to show up in both versions. I do realize that Lights and Restoration are not included in PD18 Ultimate (as per the site comparison) but are in 365.

I do have a few projects that I am working on in PD16 that use the above noted BorisFx, but now say that the FX is missing. I have contacted customer support and they have suggested that I reinstall PD 16 Ultimate Suite and sent me links to the files to download. ( I already have my backup files on an external drive, but downloaded the suggested files anyway).

I am posting this as a reach out to the community for answers to a couple of questions before I proceed.

1) Has anyone else noticed that the 2 BorisFX were missing in PD16 after installing PD18 ? And if so were you able to retrieve them into the program somehow ?

2) In your opinion, is it wise to reinstall PD16 over the existing PD16 install ? The fear being that it may overwrite some of the common files installed by PD18, thereby downgrading the newer files.

3) Or ignore #2 and uninstall existing PD16 Suite and install fresh PD16 ? Again though same issue with overwriting PD18 files.

4) Finally - just skip all of the above and find an alternate Fx to replace what I have already done with the Boris Fx ? This may be last resort is it is quite effective for my needs, on the show.

Thank You

Hello, I have experienced the same issue just upgraded from 16 to 18 (365 version) and the plugins are missing.

Did you manage to restore them? if so how?

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The OP stated that he did a PD18 upgrade, not a new PD18 new installation. That may be expected as one is not expected to keep both PD18 and PD16. Keeping both versions is allowed only if one pays the full price for a new installation instead of an upgrade installation. There is about a $30 difference in price.
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:16 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]

Hello, I have experienced the same issue just upgraded from 16 to 18 (365 version) and the plugins are missing.

Did you manage to restore them? if so how?

Thanks!

Below is the response that I received from Cyberlink Tech Support. A bit of a hassle to do, as It is always nicer just to produce the video under one application. Their suggestion of using the Boris Fx in 16 (for the segment you want to aplly to), and then producing it - importing into 18 - continue editing, sure seems like a lot of work. I just just gave up on it. I reinstalled PD 16, after I had installed 18, from their links and it seems to have restrored them in 16. They won't show up in 18 though.

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand that you like to know how to get the BorisFX Lights and
BorisFX Image Restoration in your PowerDirector 18 Ultimate software.
We are more than willing to assist you.

With reference to your query, kindly go to the both link below to
check what products and content packs are included in CyberLink
PowerDirector 18 Ultimate version compare to the PowerDirector 16
Ultimate Suite:

PowerDirector 18 Ultimate: link deleted

PowerDirector 16 Ultimate Suite: link deleted

Since the PowerDirector 18 Ultimate does not contain the BorisFX
Lights and BorisFX Image Restoration which is bundled with PowerDirector
16 Ultimate Suite, it is suggested to apply this effect using the
PowerDirector 16 Ultimate Suite, produced to a video and keep editing in
PowerDirector 18 Ultimate.

Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or
assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back
to us:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Thanks and Regards,

Vince
CyberLink Technical Support
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD16 and PD18/365 can peacefully co-exist on your PC, but unless you have active licenses for both you won't legally be able to keep both installed (as tomasc wrote).

Also, just as you mentioned, PD365 has access to all Boris FX on my system:

The Boris FX should be listed separately on Windows' Apps & features panel, which means it's separate from the PD16 installation:

However, it appears that PD18 Ultimate isn't licensed to use Boris FX even if they're installed, so I imagine the choices are to do what tech support suggested or return PD18 Ultimate and get 365 instead so you can do everything in one editor.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°