Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 18 / 365 -- Is everyone's crashing?
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using the 365 subscription via PD 18, I haven't had any issues with it until about 12 days ago, now it's crashing left and right.

First it was saying "server busy", now that's gone away and it literally just shuts down after giving PD a command, as an example: when I clicked on the chaperts icon on the left had side to make some marker edits to my chapters, PD tried to load that command, and then it it crashed.

I cant do anything with it.

Are others experience this is as well?
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
No crashes for me.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I'm with Phil. No problems at all here.

Your issues may be local.
JimnJill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2009 03:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, my program started crashing on a regular basis on my old computer and I put it down to my ageing laptop (purchased as a refurbished laptop 10 years ago, 17 inch HP running Windows 10, Intel 2.3GHz processor, 8 GB RAM). So I went out and bougt a brand new one with higher specs (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radion Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz processor, 16GB RAM, 64 bit OS all on a brand new 17 inch HP laptop). Despite that it's still crashed a couple of times. On the up side, I now set the auto save to every 2 minutes so when it does crash I can auto recover easily enough. That's a very useful function. Doesn't stop the program from just shutting down though. Maybe I need an even more powerful computer . . . ???
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Your specs are definitely more than adequate for most editing.

Have you ensured you have all of the Windows updates? Have you gone directly to the nVidia, AMD or Intel sites and downloaded the latest drivers for your graphics cards (rather than trusting Windows to do it)?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Visual Studio from Microsoft?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

It might even be worth running Windows Disk Cleanup and CCleaner to clean up your registry.

A bad or corrupted driver can cause program crashes. I keep my computer up to date and clean and I've never experienced anything like your describing in the nearly 10 years I've been running various versions of PowerDirector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2019 07:48

Koen41 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 15, 2016 09:05 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I had some hang. freeze and crash problems as well but Support sent me a workaround and hotfix which solved these problems
When you place a ticket at Support you will have to send the required information as mentioned in the ticket but then Support will try to reproduce the problem and solve it if it is PD 18 related.
Anyhow that is my experience!
TaffyN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2019 18:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I am having problems with my PowerDirector just crashing. For example, when playing back sequences it crashes after every few seconds. I have tried to follow the instructions but nothing seems to be helping.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, I am having problems with my PowerDirector just crashing. For example, when playing back sequences it crashes after every few seconds. I have tried to follow the instructions but nothing seems to be helping.

The best way to get help from us forum volunteers is to start a new thread and follow the instructions on the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread, especially the DxDiag test.

You can also report the issue to Cyberlink tech support from this page, and they will require the DxDiag test results as well.
Derago21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2018 01:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Mine crashes right after I open it, working with support for last 4 days with no luck. Will keep everyone posted if it get resolved.

By any chance do we get the older installation file? Because it was all working fine in the previous version and the latest one killed it :/

Solution: It seems PD is having compatability issues with another software named "Riva Tuner Statistics Server" If your using similar FPS tracker on your machine, terminating that process/application should fix the PD crash. I hope this helps someone in the future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2019 14:45

TaffyN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2019 18:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

The best way to get help from us forum volunteers is to start a new thread and follow the instructions on the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread, especially the DxDiag test.

You can also report the issue to Cyberlink tech support from this page, and they will require the DxDiag test results as well.

I have reported to Cyberlink. Unfortunately, their solutions have not been very helpful. Unlike other companies, they don't have a look at your computer and see if there is a problem. You probably need t pay more but my experience from guys like Adobe, they don't charge anything.

So I guess you get what you pay for.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
No issues here. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
Ranbir123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2019 07:44 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
its just problem after problem with this update
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote its just problem after problem with this update

Some people seem to have all kinds of problems with PD18/365, and others are able to edit without any significant issues. I see that you've posted several times about problems you're having, but you haven't provided any technical details about your system, and that's probably what's causing at least some of your particular issues.

Can you please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach your DxDiag results here? That will assist us greatly in seeing what issues might be present, while also ruling out other potential culprits.
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Some people seem to have all kinds of problems with PD18/365, and others are able to edit without any significant issues. I see that you've posted several times about problems you're having, but you haven't provided any technical details about your system, and that's probably what's causing at least some of your particular issues.

Can you please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach your DxDiag results here? That will assist us greatly in seeing what issues might be present, while also ruling out other potential culprits.

I have attached my DX file. This issue has been going on for one full month now. Dell Tech support, I've spent nearly 10 hours on the phone with them, over 3 phone calls. They feel my laptop is perfectly fine.

The "Server Busy" error has stopped all together, but none of my saved PD projects will properly load, PD crashed (Not Responding) during loading the media.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DX attached
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag results. Both video drivers (for your Intel HD 530 and nVidia GTX960M) are a little out of date, but they aren't old enough to be the cause of your problems. I trust that the time you've spent with Dell has fixed or ruled out any serious Win10 issues, so I'm now wondering if something might have gone wrong with your saved projects.

If you have PD set to always open the previous project, it can be hard to open it to create a new project, so download this very simple project and see if PD can open it. It only contains the sample "Skateboard.mp4" clip, and you should be able to open the project and make any edits you want.

If that doesn't open, there is clearly something seriously wrong with PD on your system. If you are able to open and work with this simple project, I'd like to have you try and share one of your problematic .PDS files.

Once PD is running with the sample project, go to the Settings menu and uncheck this box (if it's currently checked):

Next, open the simplest existing project that's been crashing. See if PD will even load it all the way, and don't try making any edits. If you can get this far, go to File, and then Pack Project Materials and save everything to a cloud folder on OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and post the link to the folder here.

Obviously, only do this if you're comfortable sharing your source clips here on the forum. The benefit of doing that is it will let other people see your exact clips and run your exact project on different systems, which can sometimes help pinpoint the cause of PD crashes.

Sometimes there's a specific issue with the clips, sometimes it's a particular editing step, and sometimes the project file has been damaged/corrupted and that's causing most of the problems. Hopefully we'll be able to get more detailed info from these steps.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I really appreciate your help here!

I have probably 12 - 15 projects saved, they all have worked perfectly. What I can't understand, is that I was putting the finishing touches on a Thanksgiving 2010 & 2011 Home Video project on October 18th, and on the morning on Oct 19th, I started getting this "Server Busy" error. Dell somehow got that to stop, but now none of my saved projects will load. Or, if they do, I can't make any simple edits, muchless, burn it.

I'm tempetd to have Dell just format my laptop and start fresh. My saved projects are saved on my extrenal hard drive, which is where I save all of my pics and videos that I work from.

Also, that image in settings/project, I looked on a blank PD templet and that option is un-checked.

Thanks again, I really do apprecaite the help and input.